Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Club Representin' at Watkins Glen, July 9 & 10th Come one come all.
Thorshammer
post Jul 7 2005, 04:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,335

The 914 club east coast guys will be at Watkins Glen this weekend.

Madsen (EP), Foley (FP), Givler (FP), Burdge (FP) and Les Handly (FP).

If you want to see the race it will be on sunday.

Erik Madsen
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TimT
post Jul 7 2005, 04:29 PM
Post #2

retired

Member No.: 313

Erik what do you turn at the Glen?

I may come up, I was just "put" on vacation
+Quote Post
william harris
post Jul 7 2005, 07:12 PM
Post #3

914 Restorer

Member No.: 1,539

Go get em guys!!! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/burnout.gif) Be sure and post lots of pics and the results. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jul 7 2005, 07:38 PM
Post #4

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

QUOTE (TimT @ Jul 7 2005, 06:29 PM)
Erik what do you turn at the Glen?

It's Erik's first trip there.
The last time I went was 8 years ago when
I took the 914 there on its maiden Production class voyage.
Unfortunately the engine had oil pressure issues and I didn't race. Before that I think my best time was in the 2:30's in ITB.
I bought some new slicks for this trip. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/burnout.gif)
+Quote Post
TimT
post Jul 7 2005, 07:46 PM
Post #5

retired

Member No.: 313

WOW 8 years ago... they have made some nice improvements, mainly in the last year
(so IRL will race there)

they installed FIA curbing up the back of the course

they paved the run-offs at turn 1,9,11

turn 1, the esses, and the bus stop have the FIA curb, I think it gives a straighter shot up the esses but some of mis compadres dont agree

I love the Glen

+Quote Post
Thorshammer
post Jul 7 2005, 08:20 PM
Post #6

No clue what I will turn for laps times. Just hope to finish and get some points. Not going to win the division, so just need to stay in front of the pack if you know what I mean.

Erik
+Quote Post
groot
post Jul 8 2005, 07:19 AM
Post #7

Dis member

Member No.: 1,444

Good luck, guys!! Get some points!
+Quote Post
xitspd
post Jul 8 2005, 07:29 AM
Post #8

Technology and Tradition 3.6 and 914-6

Member No.: 3,136

Erik and crew have a great race. The SoCal contingent is pulling for you!
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jul 10 2005, 11:59 PM
Post #9

I am Tangerine Racing

Of the three of us and the fourth 914 of Les Handly, only one race result from this weekend really matters.

..............................Erik Madsen Rules!.............................
Congratulations to the E Production and Overall Winner!!
.......... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pray.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/burnout.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/burnout.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pray.gif)

Fastest Lap of the race - Erik Madsen - 2:11.9
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jul 11 2005, 12:16 AM
Post #10

I am Tangerine Racing

This is me taking the checkered flag, just after Erik lapped me.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jul 11 2005, 12:18 AM
Post #11

I am Tangerine Racing

A pic of three 914s in impound.
(actually I didn't belong there)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
groot
post Jul 11 2005, 05:15 AM
Post #12

Dis member

Awesome!!!!

Any more details?
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jul 11 2005, 07:30 AM
Post #13

I am Tangerine Racing

QUOTE (groot @ Jul 11 2005, 07:15 AM)
Awesome!!!!

Any more details?

Saturday qualifying was dry in the morning and wet in the afternoon. Erik turned a 2:15.3 for a 7th place grid position, with 5 EP cars ahead of him including last year's 5th place Runoffs finisher (240Z) and a past Runoffs champion (Lotus Super 7).
Les Handly started 10th overall for the FP pole with a time of 2:17.7.
Chris was 29th on the grid with a time of 2:26.7, good for 7th in class.
Ed started 45th overall and 13th in class after a best qualifying lap of 2:37.1.

The pole winner driving an EP Honda Prelude broke his engine in the morning warmup. 57 cars took the green flag under sunny skies and warm temperature. Before long Erik was chasing the 240Z and the Lotus for the overall lead. The Lotus spun and when the 240's tires began to fade Erik made his move, taking over the lead on lap 9. The checkered flag came out on lap 12, 2 laps early, due to a crashed car in the "toe of the boot".
Les led the FP race until Marc Cefalo, driving a Miata, took advantage of a lapped car situation and assumed the lead.
Chris had a good race, passing two FP cars that out-qualified him. Unfortunately two other FP cars that started behind him were much faster and had no trouble motoring by early in the race. Those two cars went on to finish 1st and 3rd in class. Chris' fastest race lap was a 2:23.5 and he finished 7th in class, 23rd overall.
Ed did a good job in the race finishing 5 spots higher than he qualified overall, with a best time of 2:33.9. Unfortunately he only finished 10th in class so he came home with no additional points towards earning a Runoffs berth.
+Quote Post
william harris
post Jul 11 2005, 08:59 AM
Post #14

914 Restorer

Member No.: 1,539

Thanks for the details Chris. Your usual through and interesting report. People: WE GOT 914s WINNING RACES HERE!!! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) Time for everyone to get busy supporting the guys carrying our flag. VICTORY LANE MAGAZINE??? Sir Andy - is anyone going to help sponsor these guys at the Nationals in Mid-Ohio? We can't let these guys down. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap.gif)
+Quote Post
Thorshammer
post Jul 11 2005, 11:06 AM
Post #15

Race report:

Everything Chris said about the race was correct. Here's my point of view:

Firstly, The start for anyone not in the first 10 cars was an absolute joke. with 58 cars in the field, some cars weren't even in view of the green flag when it waved. I wish they would do the start on the back straight or something.

I started 6th after the Honda Prelude of John Schmidt broke during the morning warm up. Before I continue, a side note, it's hard to imagine that you can run with certain drivers when you never have been there before, so if this post sounds a little "aw shucks", it's because I can't believe I won yesterday, I was literally stunned. And I hope no one takes my comments as cavalier either, cause I'm not.

So, I am qualified behind, Jerry Hinkle (2:12.066), Lap record holder at this track, and at Lime Rock, and probably a couple others also previous top three Runoffs competitor. Ken Kannard (2:13.617), finished 5th at the Runoffs last year also in front of me. As was Don Girven 15th at the Runoffs and Charlie Vaccaro (2:14.28), then me at a 2:15.39 not bad for my first time there and in 6 laps, but I really thought the time was a mistake. So I was hoping to stay out of trouble and get some points, 5th place was looking good.

During the practice, I was still having the over rotation problem with the rear of the car. My ohlins shocks were supposed to be in the car and curing this issue. I did'nt have the correct springs for them and ended up using the Bilsteins for the weekend. I though about changing the rear ride height, but ended up changing the front sway bar one notch stiffer. It rained for the second qualifyer, so I knew no one would better their existing times. Sunday we had a warmup with 75 cars on the track at the same time.... STUPID!. Ever get passed by a crazed viper driver hell bent on winning practice, makes me think of that episode of Seinfeld when they were talking about shrinkage, it was a humbling experience. I did give a poorly driven T1 corvette a beat down on the brakes into the chicane, and he could'nt catch me til the straightaway. Then gave him the same beating in the same spot the next lap. I was giggling under my helmet.

Any way the sway bar change was the right one, and the car could be turned in much more aggressively without over rotation.

Race day, Better known as "Stink Day". Ya see, there are no showers at Watkins Glen, and a spritz bath just does'nt get the job done. Tire warmers on, pressures set, down to the grid, my pit bitch, or interim CREW CHIEF, Pete, had a towel handy to keep the sun off of me, it was really a nice day 87-88 sunny and a cool breeze.

Anyway, the grid got off and I was scrubbing my tires in , which were nice and warm already. The start was really weird, all of the 6 cars in the front were nut to butt (military term) and when the green flag flew, I got a good jump on Girven, Vaccaro, Wright and Hinkle. I was third into turn one behind Hinkle and Kannard, they were flying, and I was going pretty good too. I drafted past Hinkle into the Chicane, and exiting into the right hander, Hinkle made me his bitch, going by on the inside at better than 15 MPH different. (mental note, must follow Hinkle for a few laps) so I follow Jerry Hinkle (Lotus Super Seven) who is all over Ken Kannard in the 240 Z. I was learning. They pulled out about a three car lead, but I started to close on lap 3. Down the back straight I was within a car length of Hinkle but did not have the position to pass him. Don Girven (RX3 Mazda, very fast motor) was on me, ducking inside and outside, I think trying to rattle me, But I figured he would go by if he could. Anyway, heading into the boot downhill lefthander, Kannard was a little deep, Hinkle dove inside with a little too much wheel input trying to avoid hitting Kannard. and he spun. The real interesting part was after he spun, he let off the brakes and rolled backwards right in front of me, so I had to rollout of my line and go inside him. Kannard was gone, about 12-14 car lengths. But I kept getting closer, until on lap 8 going down the back straight, I was on his back bumper. One of the good things about the 914 is it's weight and the Goodyear tires I have seem to last better than other competitors tires. In my opinion, brand AND car weight play a mojor role in the this factor. The 240 Z is heavier 2270 vs 1950 and Kannard was sliding through alot of corners.

Back straight. as we entered the braking zone for the chicane, I pulled out as if to make a pass, but saw we would be balked by some traffic. I tucked back in, through the chicane, Kannard and I encountered my friend Ed Givler in his 914. Ed threw a pick on Kannard that would have made Shaq blush, and both Kannard and I went into the entrance to the boot nose to tail. He went really deep this time and got off line into the marbles, and I was able to sneak up the inside.

I really put my head down the next two laps. Posting my fastest lap on lap 9. 1 lap later Kannard spun, and Charlie Vaccaro passed him for second place. I was able to open up a little lead, and on lap 10 noticed some pretty major smoke coming out of the back of my car. it seemed to be worse after a long stright away, so I figured the over flow bottle was puking again (note to self, fix over flow so it works properly)
I kept looking for a black flag but it never came. A few yellow flags due to stopped and crashed cars, the worst I saw was the MGB of Mike Abraham. totally destroyed his car in the toe of the boot. A complete write off. Anyway the race was checkered two laps early due to the incidents all over. and I won my second National of the year.

Post race weight 1979 lbs, 29 pounds overweight. Margin of Victory 9.109 secs best lap 2:11.886, Lpa record 2:11. 32 by Hinkle. So the first time I was there I was within .5 of the lap record????? I'm still not sure I believe it. We'll see when I get my individual lap times, if they are all close to that , then maybe I did it, but if it seems alot lower than the rest, it's a fluke, which is what I think. But who knows, it is electronic timing, but it isn't infallable.

Breather hose had come out of the breather tank and blew oil all over the inside of the rear trunk. At least it won't rust anymore, or will it, it is a 914. Lime Rock in two weeks. Hope the breather thing is not from excessive blow by. We'll see.

I am trying to carry the 914 club decals on my car proudly, and hope you guys will come along for the ride at Mid Ohio. I hope I will do well as well as Chris and Ed and Tom. Chris covered the race report for his group. We all had a safe weekend and a good one.

And If you did not think that was enough, we helped a guy fix his F500 car on Saturday night, Me lending technical information, and Ed lending tools, the guy finished second in his race. So we helped someone this weekend as well. Someone besides the deodorant manufacturers.

Erik Madsen 914-6 EP
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 11 2005, 11:17 AM
Post #16

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Jul 10 2005, 10:59 PM)
..............................Erik Madsen Rules!.............................
Congratulations to the E Production and Overall Winner!!

Fastest Lap of the race - Erik Madsen - 2:11.9

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jul 11 2005, 11:33 AM
Post #17

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

Congrats Guys! and a big Way to Go Erik!!! It seems like you've got it down both in the wet and in the dry! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_flagge24.gif)
+Quote Post
groot
post Jul 11 2005, 11:33 AM
Post #18

Dis member

Way to go Eric!!! Those are some of the fastest EP guys in the country.

Good job to the rest of the 914 drivers, too!!!
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jul 11 2005, 03:46 PM
Post #19

I am Tangerine Racing

QUOTE (Thorshammer @ Jul 11 2005, 01:06 PM)
the worst I saw was the MGB of Mike Abraham. totally destroyed his car in the toe of the boot. A complete write off.

I think Mike's crash was the only incident that involved contact with a solid object. There were several other cars parked on course after breaking down.
The MGB wasn't damaged as bad as my car was a couple years ago, so he'll be able to fix it I'm sure.
I actually have his crash on my video, except for the part where he bounced off the tires back onto the track.
I spent a good part of the race chasing the MG and looking for a way around him. I did get by for a couple laps until he passed me going up the back straight in a yellow flag zone. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif) Then a few corners later he stuffed it. Every lap he had a horrible line through the toe of the boot and I was waiting for him to hit the wall eventually - sure enough!
+Quote Post
guywan914
post Jul 11 2005, 06:34 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 2,112

congrats one and all 914's. Chris I always look forward to your race reports and I think Eric has it down too. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 02:21 AM