Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> wheel bearing, should i replace
wilchek
post Jul 7 2005, 09:11 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,177

On my way home from the Hershey show, About 1 and 1/2 drive I got a sound like something was dragging on the front passanger wheel . It seemed like the brakes were binding or the wheel bearing was dry. This only happened when we were in stop and go traffic and the brakes were being used a lot (95 degree outside). It went away after about 5 minutes of open road driving where I didn't have to use the brakes. So do you think it is the wheel bearing, brakes, or something else? What does a wheel bearing sound like when it is going and would it make sense that it would be an issue when it gets hot?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post Jul 7 2005, 09:17 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,432

jack it up and spin the wheel. If it sounds dry, or rough, replace it. Check for alot of play top to bottom, if its a tad loose, tighten it up abit. Pull the wheel and the center cap, check for adaquate grease and do this, when the axel bolt is tight enough you should be able to take a flat head screwdriver and move the thrust washer behind the nut side to side using alittle nudge, if you cant, too tight, if its easy, too loose. If they are dry, replace. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
9144guy
post Jul 7 2005, 09:35 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,672

yes agreed on the tightness, also clean the bearings,and inspect or wear . i have seen alot of burnt bearings,also i see alot of calipers that need exercizing, after alot of age,
+Quote Post
9144guy
post Jul 7 2005, 09:37 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,672

it could be a brake hose also, not releaving pressure till a while after using the brakes
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 12:59 AM