Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wheel bearing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wilchek
On my way home from the Hershey show, About 1 and 1/2 drive I got a sound like something was dragging on the front passanger wheel . It seemed like the brakes were binding or the wheel bearing was dry. This only happened when we were in stop and go traffic and the brakes were being used a lot (95 degree outside). It went away after about 5 minutes of open road driving where I didn't have to use the brakes. So do you think it is the wheel bearing, brakes, or something else? What does a wheel bearing sound like when it is going and would it make sense that it would be an issue when it gets hot?
xsboost90
jack it up and spin the wheel. If it sounds dry, or rough, replace it. Check for alot of play top to bottom, if its a tad loose, tighten it up abit. Pull the wheel and the center cap, check for adaquate grease and do this, when the axel bolt is tight enough you should be able to take a flat head screwdriver and move the thrust washer behind the nut side to side using alittle nudge, if you cant, too tight, if its easy, too loose. If they are dry, replace. biggrin.gif
9144guy
yes agreed on the tightness, also clean the bearings,and inspect or wear . i have seen alot of burnt bearings,also i see alot of calipers that need exercizing, after alot of age,
9144guy
it could be a brake hose also, not releaving pressure till a while after using the brakes
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.