Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Louder Turn signals?
dgraves
post May 10 2020, 06:11 PM
Post #1

1974 914 2.0

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,076
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Any recommendations for a louder turn signal flasher? My lever switch doesn't return after completing a turn. So, I manually have to return the lever to neutral. Unfortunately, the flasher sound is not very loud and often I leave my turn indicator on.

I tried a flasher from Turnalarm, but it was like an annoying backup beeper.

Many thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 8)
lierofox
post May 10 2020, 06:19 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 18,880
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(dgraves @ May 10 2020, 05:11 PM) *

Any recommendations for a louder turn signal flasher? My lever switch doesn't return after completing a turn. So, I manually have to return the lever to neutral. Unfortunately, the flasher sound is not very loud and often I leave my turn indicator on.

Many thanks.

I ended up going with the EP26 flasher that Spoke uses. I've not had any problems hearing that one.

As an aside have you looked into why your turn signal stalk doesn't return to neutral after completing a turn? (I'm guessing it's because one of the plastic hooks that holds the spring in place has broken apart.)
+Quote Post
porschetub
post May 10 2020, 06:23 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(dgraves @ May 11 2020, 12:11 PM) *

Many thanks.

Simple enough ,replace the switch if the cancel tab is broken,if not check your steering wheel position ,are your indicator lights working in your tacho ?.
Good idea to sort it as someone may crash into you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) .
Good luck.
+Quote Post
Stingbee
post May 10 2020, 06:40 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 21,076

My 76 turn signal lamps do flash correctly, but the tach green light only comes on once, never flashes in the tach....Is this normal? If not, what do you think it may be? I hear it clicking, but it doesn't blink in the tachometer.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post May 10 2020, 07:05 PM
Post #5

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(Stingbee @ May 10 2020, 08:40 PM) *

My 76 turn signal lamps do flash correctly, but the tach green light only comes on once, never flashes in the tach....Is this normal? If not, what do you think it may be? I hear it clicking, but it doesn't blink in the tachometer.

This is a common failure in 50 year old 914 flashers. There's a secondary coil activated by the external turnsignal bulb current. Over time this secondary coil loses its efficiency and you only get 1, 2, or no flashes of the tachometer turnsignal indicators. You need a new flasher relay.

I'm not sure if the OEM flasher relay is still available. You can replace the relay with an LED-compatible EP26 relay which is widely available. The only thing with the off the shelf EP26 is pin C2 which drives the turnsignal indicator is not connected. I resell EP26 with pin C2 connected for the indicator. You can do the mod yourself if you want. I show where to make the connection on my website.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 10 2020, 07:37 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845

I just installed an EP26 relay modified per Spoke's instructions yesterday and immediately noticed a louder, but not annoying click from the flasher.
+Quote Post
Stingbee
post May 11 2020, 12:31 PM
Post #7

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Stingbee
post May 11 2020, 12:39 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Spoke @ May 10 2020, 06:05 PM) *

This is a common failure in 50 year old 914 flashers. There's a secondary coil activated by the external turnsignal bulb current. Over time this secondary coil loses its efficiency and you only get 1, 2, or no flashes of the tachometer turnsignal indicators. You need a new flasher relay.

I'm not sure if the OEM flasher relay is still available. You can replace the relay with an LED-compatible EP26 relay which is widely available. The only thing with the off the shelf EP26 is pin C2 which drives the turnsignal indicator is not connected. I resell EP26 with pin C2 connected for the indicator. You can do the mod yourself if you want. I show where to make the connection on my website.

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely do this.
+Quote Post
dgraves
post May 11 2020, 07:04 PM
Post #9

1974 914 2.0

Member No.: 20,076

QUOTE(Spoke @ May 10 2020, 06:05 PM) *

Ok, thanks. It looks like I need the EP26 relay. Spoke I'll PM you.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 02:54 AM