Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Louder Turn signals?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dgraves
Any recommendations for a louder turn signal flasher? My lever switch doesn't return after completing a turn. So, I manually have to return the lever to neutral. Unfortunately, the flasher sound is not very loud and often I leave my turn indicator on.

I tried a flasher from Turnalarm, but it was like an annoying backup beeper.

Many thanks.
lierofox
QUOTE(dgraves @ May 10 2020, 05:11 PM) *

Any recommendations for a louder turn signal flasher? My lever switch doesn't return after completing a turn. So, I manually have to return the lever to neutral. Unfortunately, the flasher sound is not very loud and often I leave my turn indicator on.

Many thanks.

I ended up going with the EP26 flasher that Spoke uses. I've not had any problems hearing that one.

As an aside have you looked into why your turn signal stalk doesn't return to neutral after completing a turn? (I'm guessing it's because one of the plastic hooks that holds the spring in place has broken apart.)
porschetub
QUOTE(dgraves @ May 11 2020, 12:11 PM) *

Many thanks.

Simple enough ,replace the switch if the cancel tab is broken,if not check your steering wheel position ,are your indicator lights working in your tacho ?.
Good idea to sort it as someone may crash into you dry.gif .
Good luck.
Stingbee
My 76 turn signal lamps do flash correctly, but the tach green light only comes on once, never flashes in the tach....Is this normal? If not, what do you think it may be? I hear it clicking, but it doesn't blink in the tachometer.
Spoke
QUOTE(Stingbee @ May 10 2020, 08:40 PM) *

My 76 turn signal lamps do flash correctly, but the tach green light only comes on once, never flashes in the tach....Is this normal? If not, what do you think it may be? I hear it clicking, but it doesn't blink in the tachometer.

This is a common failure in 50 year old 914 flashers. There's a secondary coil activated by the external turnsignal bulb current. Over time this secondary coil loses its efficiency and you only get 1, 2, or no flashes of the tachometer turnsignal indicators. You need a new flasher relay.

I'm not sure if the OEM flasher relay is still available. You can replace the relay with an LED-compatible EP26 relay which is widely available. The only thing with the off the shelf EP26 is pin C2 which drives the turnsignal indicator is not connected. I resell EP26 with pin C2 connected for the indicator. You can do the mod yourself if you want. I show where to make the connection on my website.
bbrock
I just installed an EP26 relay modified per Spoke's instructions yesterday and immediately noticed a louder, but not annoying click from the flasher.
Stingbee
aktion035.gif
Stingbee
QUOTE(Spoke @ May 10 2020, 06:05 PM) *

This is a common failure in 50 year old 914 flashers. There's a secondary coil activated by the external turnsignal bulb current. Over time this secondary coil loses its efficiency and you only get 1, 2, or no flashes of the tachometer turnsignal indicators. You need a new flasher relay.

I'm not sure if the OEM flasher relay is still available. You can replace the relay with an LED-compatible EP26 relay which is widely available. The only thing with the off the shelf EP26 is pin C2 which drives the turnsignal indicator is not connected. I resell EP26 with pin C2 connected for the indicator. You can do the mod yourself if you want. I show where to make the connection on my website.

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely do this.
dgraves
QUOTE(Spoke @ May 10 2020, 06:05 PM) *

Ok, thanks. It looks like I need the EP26 relay. Spoke I'll PM you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.