Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Another External Oil Cooler Question, What are your thoughts on this setup?
Craigers17
post May 11 2020, 04:03 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,317
Region Association: South East States

Recently, I've been trying to get my '74 2.0 sorted out, and it's running relatively well. One of the previous PO's modified the car to include an external oil cooler mounted right behind the front grommet holes. It's a fairly large cooler and everything is plumbed and working. As a matter of fact, if my center console oil temp gauge is correct, and it APPEARS to be working properly, it is keeping the temps right around mid gauge(no where near red) after some fairly spirited driving for around 25 minutes. I actually LIKE the cooler location here, and would prefer to keep it...based mainly, so far, on cooling ability.

The current problem is, whoever installed the front cooler made no provision for venting the hot air. I posted a similar post a few months back, but now that I have the car running/driving, I have spent more time looking at various oil cooler setups... mainly thru this thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=56102

All that said, I kind of like the simplicity of this one in particular. And the poster seems to have great results, even autocossing. I was thinking maybe only 2 - 2.5" Hole Saw openings, and then fashioning a fiberglass "Shroud" kind of like a poor man's Patrick Motorsports GT Shroud. I realize I could go with a louvered floor pan setup, but then I would have to modify the floor pan.

So I wonder what your thoughts are on this setup? (Specifically, the space to which this is venting, which looks like where the steering rack assembly is. As well as any other feedback)

The only difference between this one and mine would be that my cooler is at the front and his is at the back. Air Flow wise, I would think it would have the same results.

I have copied the text below from the user's original post:

"My HUGE cooler sits in front of three large exit holes.
I use the front grommet holes as my inlets.

So, I have fresh air in and hot air out.

On a track car, this has to be done. ( unless you like short sessions ) biggrin.gif

KT"

Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 05:30 AM