Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another External Oil Cooler Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Craigers17
Recently, I've been trying to get my '74 2.0 sorted out, and it's running relatively well. One of the previous PO's modified the car to include an external oil cooler mounted right behind the front grommet holes. It's a fairly large cooler and everything is plumbed and working. As a matter of fact, if my center console oil temp gauge is correct, and it APPEARS to be working properly, it is keeping the temps right around mid gauge(no where near red) after some fairly spirited driving for around 25 minutes. I actually LIKE the cooler location here, and would prefer to keep it...based mainly, so far, on cooling ability.

The current problem is, whoever installed the front cooler made no provision for venting the hot air. I posted a similar post a few months back, but now that I have the car running/driving, I have spent more time looking at various oil cooler setups... mainly thru this thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=56102

All that said, I kind of like the simplicity of this one in particular. And the poster seems to have great results, even autocossing. I was thinking maybe only 2 - 2.5" Hole Saw openings, and then fashioning a fiberglass "Shroud" kind of like a poor man's Patrick Motorsports GT Shroud. I realize I could go with a louvered floor pan setup, but then I would have to modify the floor pan.

So I wonder what your thoughts are on this setup? (Specifically, the space to which this is venting, which looks like where the steering rack assembly is. As well as any other feedback)

The only difference between this one and mine would be that my cooler is at the front and his is at the back. Air Flow wise, I would think it would have the same results.

I have copied the text below from the user's original post:

"My HUGE cooler sits in front of three large exit holes.
I use the front grommet holes as my inlets.

So, I have fresh air in and hot air out.

On a track car, this has to be done. ( unless you like short sessions ) biggrin.gif

KT"

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914forme
Lack of detailed pictures.

Here are my guesses.

Those are your exit holes that appear behind your cooler.

Inlet holes are most likely under the front reenforcement, Series of small holes there in a stock 914, Most likely the rubber plugs have been removed, and or, cut open.

Air then flows under the body, my guess is they left the gravel guard off the steering and brake recess.

All guesses, but it looks like from the pictures provided they took care of a few details to make it work. They at least controlled the air from going into the trunk.

Would I loved to see better cooler mount, no free air from the front to the rear, yes. But it is hard to argue with the fact that it works.
Mark Henry
IMO the thermostat should be mounted closer to the engine. That way at least when cold the oil has a shorter path from/to the engine. Like most oil t-stats they never fully by-pass, it's about a 90%.

How are going to pump this?
If planing to change to a bigger oil pump I'd invest in a Gene Berg pressure relief oil pump cover, it prevents the system from going over 90lbs (IIRC) so you won't blow out your cooler one cold morning.
With the GB cover I'd use a shadeck 30mm T1 pump with mod for T4.

You could also go full flow, straight off the GB pump cover, to a remote mounted filter/adapter, T-stat, cooler, and back through a fitting you tap into the main oil galley. You have to tap and plug the oil pump for this system.

thelogo
But where's your spare tire ?
Craigers17
Mark and Stephen, thanks for the information. I don't think I was totally clear on my first post...those pics are taken from the attached link on a member's car belonging to Trekkor.....seems like a well respected, long standing member. I was taking his setup and wondering mainly what the thoughts were on his exit location. I am considering doing this, but am still also considering a rear mounted cooler. I SHOULD have included pics of MY current setup, which I haved added here.

My main point is that my current system has no exit for the hot air. The whole thing is already plumbed and functional(maybe not correctly). I have no idea if the pump has been changed, as this was all done by a PO. I can tell you that the oil is getting to the cooler, and it appears to be cooling properly with no exit.

Here are the pics of the current system on my car:

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
worn
I can see why you want to pull things in line with current theory, but really; why change anything at all. Perhaps others should be copying what you have. On the other hand, why do you need to go beyond what the factory did for a 2.0? Myself, I wanted extra cooling for a 2.0, but only had to run a rear cooler.
Craigers17
QUOTE(worn @ May 11 2020, 06:11 PM) *

I can see why you want to pull things in line with current theory, but really; why change anything at all. Perhaps others should be copying what you have. On the other hand, why do you need to go beyond what the factory did for a 2.0? Myself, I wanted extra cooling for a 2.0, but only had to run a rear cooler.

I've been reading other oil cooler threads today, and I am leaning toward a rear cooler or(as you suggest) returning to stock. I don't know why the PO moved it, and cut the front sheet metal, but right now I'm just trying to arrive at the best cooling solution, as the engine seems to run strong. It would be nice to actually drive it for a couple of years before doing any major engine work....I figure a good oiling system will help facilitate that.
Mark Henry
It's an early RX7 cooler, about the exact same size as a factory 914GT cooler, so close many 914 guys have used this cooler.
Surprise there's thermostat in there, so you system is using the RX7 coolers thermostat.
The /6 guys usually cut off the connection end and weld a plate on for bigger AN fittings for the /6. They would also eliminate the cooler thermostat.

I would make better mounts but keep it where it is. If you don't want to cut holes in the trunk floor you could dig out the factory spot welding access plugs, you could then do a shallow GT inspired cover. I bet you could fit a 4.5" bug rim with a 125/15 temporary spare in the leftover hollow if you did the ducting right.
Craigers17
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 11 2020, 06:34 PM) *

It's an early RX7 cooler, about the exact same size as a factory 914GT cooler, so close many 914 guys have used this cooler.
Surprise there's thermostat in there, so you system is using the RX7 coolers thermostat.
The /6 guys usually cut off the connection end and weld a plate on for bigger AN fittings for the /6. They would also eliminate the cooler thermostat.

I would make better mounts but keep it where it is. If you don't want to cut holes in the trunk floor you could dig out the factory spot welding access plugs, you could then do a shallow GT inspired cover. I bet you could fit a 4.5" bug rim with a 125/15 temporary spare in the leftover hollow if you did the ducting right.

Mark,

I appreciate your info and suggestions. I really like the idea of taking out the access plugs so I don't have to drill/cut any more holes. I'll give this a shot, and start mocking up the cover. I'll post some pics when I make some progress. Thanks again!
-Craig
mepstein
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ May 12 2020, 05:12 AM) *

Mark,

I appreciate your info and suggestions. I really like the idea of taking out the access plugs so I don't have to drill/cut any more holes. I'll give this a shot, and start mocking up the cover. I'll post some pics when I make some progress. Thanks again!
-Craig

I took out the acces plugs on mine. I plan to cover with some metal mesh. It seems like a good way to exit the air without cutting the car. The plugs can always be seam sealed back in.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 12 2020, 09:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Craigers17 @ May 12 2020, 05:12 AM) *

Mark,

-Craig

I took out the acces plugs on mine. I plan to cover with some metal mesh. It seems like a good way to exit the air without cutting the car. The plugs can always be seam sealed back in.

The access plugs was your idea that I stole. bootyshake.gif
wndsrfr
Here's mine....took out the plugs in the floor and also sawcut two large round holes to vent through the support wall to exit around the steering rack....works fine.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
SirAndy
For a 2.0L /4 (unless it's a dedicated track car) a full shrouded front oil cooler is overkill.

Having it mounted under/behind the front bumper, without cutting the car, should be more than sufficient.

Here's a car with that kind of setup:

IPB Image
Craigers17
@mepstein , @MarkHenry , and @wndsrfr , thanks again for the information, and for the photos....that's exactly what I needed. @SirAndy , you're right, for my car, this is probably overkill. But since the cooler has already been moved, I feel like it's probably in a safer location inside the trunk, and this allows me to put a front air dam on the car in the future.

Besides, I've never tried doing any fiberglass work, so making an inexpensive GT-type shroud might be a fun small project that hopefully will look decent, and add functionality. Thanks again to all! beerchug.gif
Dave97
What size of hose do you use for a 4cyl front gt oil cooler? 8, 10, 12? What difference does it make on strain on the pump, system? How about when cold, hot? Most people talk about 6cyl with the dry sump. Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.