Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Oil pump recommendation, Melling or ????
North Coast Jim
post May 13 2020, 06:46 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,450
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Need some guidance from the World Collective. Since rebuild by an "Old School" engine rebuilder of type IV motors who I've known for decades, the engine runs suburb but has had consistent oil leaks. He was surprised at the HAM heads instructions for the inclusion of the heads in this build to bring you up to date.

The engine uses a Melling oil pump M-79AHV that has consistently been a leaker.

Upon return from Octeenerfest last Sept with a few engine leaks we removed the engine and went to work. Billet Taco Plate, new valve cover gaskets with valve adjustment as a bonus, rebuilt oil filler breather assy with new gaskets and inspection for any additional leak areas, surprise !!!

Additionally we upgraded with a Chris Foley/Tangerine Racing remote oil cooler system. No leaks there.

With Engine reinstalled and running we've now found the Melling oil pump leaking. This design is split housing and cover design leaving not one but two places for a leak. I want to replace the pump with a single body pump - no cover. The Type IV Store sells a Type IV replacement with a pump that is a single pump body removing the potential gasket seal leak potential.

Wanting to remove/replace this engine for the last time for me - I'm 71 years young what does the Collective think is the path to solution.

Car is a weekend driver with occasional X cross and Vintage "Street Car" class runs. PIB Vintage is a hoot thru the streets of the town.

Appreciate your valued input. Thanks all. Engine out tomorrow
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 08:24 PM