Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil pump recommendation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
North Coast Jim
Need some guidance from the World Collective. Since rebuild by an "Old School" engine rebuilder of type IV motors who I've known for decades, the engine runs suburb but has had consistent oil leaks. He was surprised at the HAM heads instructions for the inclusion of the heads in this build to bring you up to date.

The engine uses a Melling oil pump M-79AHV that has consistently been a leaker.

Upon return from Octeenerfest last Sept with a few engine leaks we removed the engine and went to work. Billet Taco Plate, new valve cover gaskets with valve adjustment as a bonus, rebuilt oil filler breather assy with new gaskets and inspection for any additional leak areas, surprise !!!

Additionally we upgraded with a Chris Foley/Tangerine Racing remote oil cooler system. No leaks there.

With Engine reinstalled and running we've now found the Melling oil pump leaking. This design is split housing and cover design leaving not one but two places for a leak. I want to replace the pump with a single body pump - no cover. The Type IV Store sells a Type IV replacement with a pump that is a single pump body removing the potential gasket seal leak potential.

Wanting to remove/replace this engine for the last time for me - I'm 71 years young what does the Collective think is the path to solution.

Car is a weekend driver with occasional X cross and Vintage "Street Car" class runs. PIB Vintage is a hoot thru the streets of the town.

Appreciate your valued input. Thanks all. Engine out tomorrow
worn
have had a similar problem. It may have to do with differential expansion rates. AIR the Melling is cast iron.
Superhawk996
Ditch the Melling. Cast iron pump in an aluminum case isn't ideal. Vastly different coefficient of expansion between the engine case and the pump housing.

German engineers used an aluminum body pump for a reason.
North Coast Jim
The engine is out once again. Getting used to it. The Harbor Freight hydraulic table in conjunction with my new lift makes this an easy 2 hour job for one person. I even left the carbs with linkage on this time.

The Melling pump is gone and will be replaced with a Type IV aluminum pump from the Type IV store/LN Engineering. Awaiting delivery now.

Think I'll scrub the engine bay while awaiting parts

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

914forme
that is a clean looking setup, very nice. And yes Aluminum pump body and cover is the way to go.

Mike D.
Just had a long conversation with Jorge at European Motorworks about oil pumps. Call him and get the low down, then buy the one he is modifying to work perfectly in a T4.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.