Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> oil change, oil plus jack points
brcacti
post May 16 2020, 02:26 PM
Post #1

1974 914 1.8

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,302
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hello, can I jack up the car at the donut points or not? I think there are 4 donut points, two front, two back. My gasket kit did not yet come in time for this weekend's oil change. All together does anyone have a picture of all the gaskets that come in the kit? As far as I can tell there are two small washers, one for the strainer and one for the regular plug, two larger type gaskets for the strainer. Is this correct?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914 RZ-1
post May 16 2020, 07:47 PM
Post #2

Porsche Padawan

Member No.: 18,230
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(brcacti @ May 16 2020, 01:26 PM) *

Hello, can I jack up the car at the donut points or not? I think there are 4 donut points, two front, two back. My gasket kit did not yet come in time for this weekend's oil change. All together does anyone have a picture of all the gaskets that come in the kit? As far as I can tell there are two small washers, one for the strainer and one for the regular plug, two larger type gaskets for the strainer. Is this correct?

Yes, you can jack it up at the donuts, that's what they are for. I've used where the trailing arm of the rear wheels comes out of the frame as well.

Your gasket set sounds complete.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post May 16 2020, 08:28 PM
Post #3

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Yep.

Oil strainer kit:
- 2 fiber gaskets (one between strainer and case, one between strainer and sump cover).
- 1 aluminum crush washer for strainer bolt/nut-like thing

Drain plug:
- Copper Sealing gasket

You can see it all laid out in the oil change video in my signature...
+Quote Post
JamesM
post May 17 2020, 12:28 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,834

Not sure what others feelings are on the matter, but i rarely touch the pick up strainer when doing oil changes. Given the sensitive nature of that area of the case and the fact that on the occasions I have pulled strainers I have never really found anything trapped in them, I don't find it worth the time/effort/risk to pull them just for the sake of pulling them.

Oil+Filter and call it a day.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post May 17 2020, 01:23 PM
Post #5

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749

I do the strainer every other change. The strainer itself is almost always pretty clean. But sludge gets trapped below the strainer...between the base of it and the sump cover. There's a disgusting shot of it in my oil change video. The sump cover is not that big an area and when it gets filled, the sludge can overflow and circulate, rather than sit at the bottom of the engine.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 06:37 AM