Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil change
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brcacti
Hello, can I jack up the car at the donut points or not? I think there are 4 donut points, two front, two back. My gasket kit did not yet come in time for this weekend's oil change. All together does anyone have a picture of all the gaskets that come in the kit? As far as I can tell there are two small washers, one for the strainer and one for the regular plug, two larger type gaskets for the strainer. Is this correct?
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(brcacti @ May 16 2020, 01:26 PM) *

Hello, can I jack up the car at the donut points or not? I think there are 4 donut points, two front, two back. My gasket kit did not yet come in time for this weekend's oil change. All together does anyone have a picture of all the gaskets that come in the kit? As far as I can tell there are two small washers, one for the strainer and one for the regular plug, two larger type gaskets for the strainer. Is this correct?

Yes, you can jack it up at the donuts, that's what they are for. I've used where the trailing arm of the rear wheels comes out of the frame as well.

Your gasket set sounds complete.
iankarr
Yep.

Oil strainer kit:
- 2 fiber gaskets (one between strainer and case, one between strainer and sump cover).
- 1 aluminum crush washer for strainer bolt/nut-like thing

Drain plug:
- Copper Sealing gasket

You can see it all laid out in the oil change video in my signature...
JamesM
Not sure what others feelings are on the matter, but i rarely touch the pick up strainer when doing oil changes. Given the sensitive nature of that area of the case and the fact that on the occasions I have pulled strainers I have never really found anything trapped in them, I don't find it worth the time/effort/risk to pull them just for the sake of pulling them.

Oil+Filter and call it a day.
iankarr
I do the strainer every other change. The strainer itself is almost always pretty clean. But sludge gets trapped below the strainer...between the base of it and the sump cover. There's a disgusting shot of it in my oil change video. The sump cover is not that big an area and when it gets filled, the sludge can overflow and circulate, rather than sit at the bottom of the engine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.