Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Front brakes, Calipers
cpavlenko
post May 18 2020, 07:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,400
Region Association: Southwest Region

So, I just found that left front caliper is early, and right front caliper is late. How did I figure this out, ordering early new discs and bearings. Started work on the left, and everything went great. Then I get to the rihgt side and oh oh, no worky. Caliper well not go on, defferent offset. I've been driving the 914 like this since I got it years ago. 914 drives straightforward, and brakes good. So what needs to be changed to match the left early assembly. My 914 is a 1971, I'm totally bummed. This is very frustrating. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post May 18 2020, 08:24 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457

Your going to have to change the strut assembly. The brake calipers and rotors are different because of the offset difference of early and late. I would up grade to the late strut. See if the early strut has a pinch bolt, late will have a wedge pin with a nut.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 18 2020, 08:38 PM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I should have all the parts you need. Give me a couple days to dig them up. You might/ probably need to rebuild the caliper. No charge for the parts, just shipping. If you find something closer, no problem but I’m sure I have the parts so they are yours if you want them.

My parts are early.

You probably have a late front on the right since 95% of accidents in a Porsche are on the right. Very common.
+Quote Post
cpavlenko
post May 18 2020, 08:45 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 18 2020, 07:38 PM) *

I should have all the parts you need. Give me a couple days to dig them up. You might/ probably need to rebuild the caliper. No charge for the parts, just shipping. If you find something closer, no problem but I’m sure I have the parts so they are yours if you want them.

My parts are early.

You probably have a late front on the right since 95% of accidents in a Porsche are on the right. Very common.
PM me when you get it all together, I'll give you my address. I've bought parts off you before, Thanks...
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post May 19 2020, 01:50 PM
Post #5

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

@mepstein
' date='May 18 2020, 07:38 PM' post='2816683']

My parts are early.

[/quote]

Mark, you probably know this but the strut, rotor, backing plate, caliper, ball joint and flex line are different and not interchangeable.
Generous if you to offer the parts. I am sure i can cover what you may not have.

@cpavlenko
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
tvdinnerbythepool
post May 19 2020, 01:54 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 22,336
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

@mepstein you are a saint! You have helped so many of us out through pure generosity, myself included. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post May 19 2020, 02:00 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(tvdinnerbythepool @ May 19 2020, 12:54 PM) *

@mepstein you are a saint! You have helped so many of us out through pure generosity, myself included. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Agree! one of those members that really support/helped many members!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 19 2020, 02:17 PM
Post #8

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Thanks guys but I'm happy to be able to send this stuff to someone who can use it and not have it end up in a junk pile in my workshop. I'm headed home tomorrow to gather up the parts and will post pics. I dropped the entire suspension from a 70's parts car so I know I have all the big stuff to get cpavlenko sorted.
+Quote Post
cpavlenko
post May 19 2020, 08:28 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 19 2020, 01:17 PM) *

Thanks guys but I'm happy to be able to send this stuff to someone who can use it and not have it end up in a junk pile in my workshop. I'm headed home tomorrow to gather up the parts and will post pics. I dropped the entire suspension from a 70's parts car so I know I have all the big stuff to get cpavlenko sorted.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 05:17 AM