Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Masks /covers IN PLAID and hound's tooth $10, Doing a run this next week
Superhawk996
post May 30 2020, 08:50 AM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(jeffdon @ May 30 2020, 10:40 AM) *

Are you sewing in a piece of wire over the nose bridge so you can form it for a tight fit?

Waste of time. Cooties are very small.

Coronavirus is 60-140 nano meter particle size. They will still spew in and out between the pores of the N95 filter and fabric.

N95 mask material is a government efficiency rating that means the mask blocks about 95 percent of particles that are 0.3 microns in size or larger. Notice that isn't 100% blockage even under ideal conditions of use.

0.3 microns = 300 nano meters. Therefore Corona virus is 1/2 the size of what a N95 filter is able to filter. 0.3 micrometer of filtration assumes you have a PERFECT seal around the entire perimeter of the mask which isn't possible.

Of course, if you have a beard, or stubble, be sure to shave that too. Otherwise what little mask seal you have is further compromised.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
fiacra
post May 30 2020, 10:25 AM
Post #22

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Member No.: 22,920
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 30 2020, 07:50 AM) *

QUOTE(jeffdon @ May 30 2020, 10:40 AM) *

Are you sewing in a piece of wire over the nose bridge so you can form it for a tight fit?

Waste of time. Cooties are very small.

Coronavirus is 60-140 nano meter particle size. They will still spew in and out between the pores of the N95 filter and fabric.

N95 mask material is a government efficiency rating that means the mask blocks about 95 percent of particles that are 0.3 microns in size or larger. Notice that isn't 100% blockage even under ideal conditions of use.

0.3 microns = 300 nano meters. Therefore Corona virus is 1/2 the size of what a N95 filter is able to filter. 0.3 micrometer of filtration assumes you have a PERFECT seal around the entire perimeter of the mask which isn't possible.

Of course, if you have a beard, or stubble, be sure to shave that too. Otherwise what little mask seal you have is further compromised.

All good points, but some miss the point. Many pathogens, such as SARS CoV-2, are primarily spread in aerosolized droplets, which are much larger than the pathogen itself. A mask will provide some protection against those. I can get out of my car and walk through a standard sized residential doorway, but I can't drive my car through the doorway. A good fit is important to improve efficacy of a mask. Facial hair will affect the fit, as will the profile of the nose and face. I am required to be fit tested on a regular basis for an N95 before I can see my patients in the hospital, but even without that level of testing you can get an acceptable fit if you get a good seal. A moldable nose clip is important to help get the best fit possible. I think we also all know by now that a mask will also help prevent an infected person from spreading aerosolized pathogens, which perhaps is their most important function. Moldable nose clip or not, a mask and many other types of facial covering can be helpful to keep us all as safe as possible. Nothing protects 100%, or perhaps even 95%, but anything we can do to help keep us all safer is a step in the right direction. My thanks to Mark and others for coming up with creative ways to make facial coverings.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 30 2020, 10:37 AM
Post #23

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(fiacra @ May 30 2020, 09:25 AM) *
Many pathogens, such as SARS CoV-2, are primarily spread in aerosolized droplets, which are much larger than the pathogen itself.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
gandalf_025
post May 30 2020, 11:33 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 10,509
Region Association: North East States

Regardless of anything else..
Fitted around the nose helps stop
Fogging of eyeglasses for those of us
That have to wear them.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post May 30 2020, 11:36 AM
Post #25

914 Guru

QUOTE(fiacra @ May 30 2020, 12:25 PM) *

All good points, but some miss the point. . . . but anything we can do to help keep us all safer is a step in the right direction.

Indeed.

The point is that life is inherently dangerous. Motality is guranteed at 100%. None of us are going to escape death.

The idea that anyting we can do to "keep us safe" is fundamentally flawed and is a premise that cannot be accepted in a free society.

Other ideas to keep us safe and reduce deaths:

1) All at risk populations should permanenly be isolated - kept from friends and family forever. My MIL is in a assisted living situation. My wife is prohibited from visiting her. We are effectivly paying for the MIL to be forcibly imprisioned. This imprisonment is for her own good. It should be made permanent and should apply to all at risk populations (primarily those over age 65).

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_we...x.htm#AgeAndSex

2) All youth populations that are stuggling with the isolation and fear mongering of the media should forcibly hospitalized for thier own benefit. I have a friend who's son is struggling with suicidal thoughts resulting from the previous death of a friend in February (not COVID related) and the ensuing isolation that has resulted from school closures and isolation from his friends. Forced hospitilization and forced restraint if necessary will help insure this poor kid never gets around to sucessfully pulling of a suicide. Funny how the discussion linkage between mental health and suicide related to COVID has been all but barred from public discussion.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/...th-coronavirus/

3) Reduce all speed limits to 15 mph. That would reduce traffic fatalites drastically.

4) Require all citizens over the age of 65 to wear helmets and hip pads at all times including in thier own homes. This would drastically reduce deaths from trip and fall accidents resulting from broken hips and traumatic head injury.

5) Force all known HIV positive patients to wear a purple star on thier sleeve. That way the rest of the population would know not to have unprotected sex with said person. Likewise, they shold have a special passport issued so that as they try to travel from country to country, the admitting country would have the option to turn them away and keep thier own population safe.

Hopefully we can all agree to these common sense solutions to keep us safe. After all if saves just one life, isn't it worth it?
+Quote Post
johnlush
post May 30 2020, 11:53 AM
Post #26

What's all this then?

Member No.: 2,108
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

In for a couple plaid as it has been theorized that the plaid pattern confuses and scares the bejeebers out of cooties. Look it up.

PM sent with details... Thanks Mikey!
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post May 30 2020, 11:57 AM
Post #27

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

QUOTE(jeffdon @ May 30 2020, 07:40 AM) *

No the 95 internally has the wire in it to hold shape.

As far as wearing a mask or not. It's your choice. If I were in a nursing home I would at least wear something just in case. My point is this is not a hermetically sealed bubble, but if you wear a mask, make it fashionable.
PS I think you are right, being the virus is round, all the lines confuse it.

Either way lets all get back to the getting to the next phase so this thing can be a distant memory.

+Quote Post
fiacra
post May 30 2020, 12:03 PM
Post #28

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Member No.: 22,920

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 30 2020, 10:36 AM) *

QUOTE(fiacra @ May 30 2020, 12:25 PM) *

All good points, but some miss the point. . . . but anything we can do to help keep us all safer is a step in the right direction.

Indeed.

The point is that life is inherently dangerous. Motality is guranteed at 100%. None of us are going to escape death.

The idea that anyting we can do to "keep us safe" is fundamentally flawed and is a premise that cannot be accepted in a free society.

Other ideas to keep us safe and reduce deaths:

1) All at risk populations should permanenly be isolated - kept from friends and family forever. My MIL is in a assisted living situation. My wife is prohibited from visiting her. We are effectivly paying for the MIL to be forcibly imprisioned. This imprisonment is for her own good. It should be made permanent and should apply to all at risk populations (primarily those over age 65).

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_we...x.htm#AgeAndSex

2) All youth populations that are stuggling with the isolation and fear mongering of the media should forcibly hospitalized for thier own benefit. I have a friend who's son is struggling with suicidal thoughts resulting from the previous death of a friend in February (not COVID related) and the ensuing isolation that has resulted from school closures and isolation from his friends. Forced hospitilization and forced restraint if necessary will help insure this poor kid never gets around to sucessfully pulling of a suicide. Funny how the discussion linkage between mental health and suicide related to COVID has been all but barred from public discussion.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/...th-coronavirus/

3) Reduce all speed limits to 15 mph. That would reduce traffic fatalites drastically.

4) Require all citizens over the age of 65 to wear helmets and hip pads at all times including in thier own homes. This would drastically reduce deaths from trip and fall accidents resulting from broken hips and traumatic head injury.

5) Force all known HIV positive patients to wear a purple star on thier sleeve. That way the rest of the population would know not to have unprotected sex with said person. Likewise, they shold have a special passport issued so that as they try to travel from country to country, the admitting country would have the option to turn them away and keep thier own population safe.

Hopefully we can all agree to these common sense solutions to keep us safe. After all if saves just one life, isn't it worth it?

I think you know I meant anything REASONABLE to keep us safe. Perhaps that should include outlawing sarcasm (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . I'd like to think we are all in this together, with a goal of civility and respect. Sorry if you took my post otherwise, and sorry to hear about your MIL as well as your son's friend.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 30 2020, 12:20 PM
Post #29

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) no good deed goes unpunished.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post May 30 2020, 12:24 PM
Post #30

914 Guru

QUOTE(fiacra @ May 30 2020, 02:03 PM) *

I think you know I meant anything REASONABLE to keep us safe. Perhaps that should include outlawing sarcasm (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . I'd like to think we are all in this together, with a goal of civility and respect. Sorry if you took my post otherwise, and sorry to hear about your MIL as well as your son's friend.

Indeeed I do know that. But, one man's resonable solution is another man's tyranny. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 30 2020, 12:43 PM
Post #31

Resident German

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 30 2020, 10:36 AM) *
5) Force all known HIV positive patients to wear a purple star on thier sleeve.

Yes, asking you to wear a mask in public so you don't infect other people with a virus is *exactly* the same as the Nazis killing 6 million Jews.

What is it with you Americans and your obsession with Nazis?

You have completely diluted the horror of that period by constantly elevating minor inconveniences to your privileged life to the level of actual genocide.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post May 30 2020, 01:44 PM
Post #32

914 Guru

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 30 2020, 02:43 PM) *

What is it with you Americans and your obsession with Nazis?

Uhmmm. I don't know. Could it be the relationship to a goverment that failed to represent it's people, gradually took away the rights of citizens, and then went on to commit horrendous attrocity when they were left unchallenged?

I guess if you would like to take the position that the Nazi's did represent the average German citizen and that the holocaust is indeed what the german people wanted and fully supported, we could have that conversation.

I don't know how it is in CA but here in MI the government is clearly (arbitrarily) picking winners and losers about who can earn a living and who cannot. That is serious business.

Could it be that the government and media is floating the idea of immunity certificates that would determine who could shop, who could travel, and who would effectively be excommunicated from society.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/health/immun...intl/index.html

Could it be that the government and activst groups are pushing the concept of forced vaccination?

https://www.law.com/newyorklawjournal/2020/...=20200430153825

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/18/health/vacci...trnd/index.html

When you no longer have the right to determine what happens to your own body and what can or cannot be injected into it, we are indeed living in dangerous times that have historical parallels.

Could it be that an unprecidented control grip that the Nazi's could have only wished for is being assembled in order to track COVID positives?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/202...y/#1a90b3717f0d

Yeah. I guess there is nothing to be worried about. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 30 2020, 01:52 PM
Post #33

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

@Sirandy . Can we clean this post up and just leave the posts about people wanting these masks?

Or split it and put one in the sandbox.... It's not political yet to be shut down but it's definitely not the intent of the original post...

Edit:Nevermind... Superhawk said the G word.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 30 2020, 01:53 PM
Post #34

Resident German

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 30 2020, 12:44 PM) *
When you no longer have the right to determine what happens to your own body and what can or cannot be injected into it, we are indeed living in dangerous times that have historical parallels.
Could it be that an unprecidented control grip that the Nazi's could have only wished for is being assembled in order to track COVID positives?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post May 30 2020, 01:55 PM
Post #35

914 Guru

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 30 2020, 03:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 30 2020, 12:44 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

Don't worry, I'm wearing my tin foil hat. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post May 30 2020, 01:59 PM
Post #36

914 Guru

QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 30 2020, 03:52 PM) *

@Sirandy . Can we clean this post up and just leave the posts about people wanting these masks?

Or split it and put one in the sandbox.... It's not political yet to be shut down but it's definitely not the intent of the original post...

Edit:Nevermind... Superhawk said the G word.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

No . . not the G word. I'm sorry it wasn't my fault. I was triggered by the N word.

Peace out. I wish no ill will upon anyone but to suggest a healthy person walking around is a threat to anyone is the crazy idea. The burden of proof isn't upon the healty to be allowed to have a life and to earn a living.
+Quote Post
ben*james
post May 30 2020, 03:56 PM
Post #37

LIFER

Member No.: 10,062
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

In for 5. Not because I need them so much but out of respect for how interesting this thread got. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
914e
post May 30 2020, 06:44 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 23,951
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(stevend914 @ May 29 2020, 06:05 PM) *

... to east bumfuck Maine. Big difference.

When I lived in Massachusetts, pretty sure I went there one weekend...like you I made it back home.

At any rate, if you make a houndstooth black/orange I'm interested...otherwise I pm'd what you list and I want...cheers

Second the orange/black
+Quote Post
silverg
post May 30 2020, 07:29 PM
Post #39

914s since March 1970

Member No.: 6,179
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I would like:1 N95 Black & White, 1 PM2.5 Black & White, 2 PM2.5 filters.

Thank you
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 30 2020, 08:11 PM
Post #40

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

i am in for a few things , 2 plaid , a black/white, and and orange plaid, also 1 orange houndstooth 2.5 and a black/white houndstooth 2.5,
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 08:39 PM