Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 6 7 8  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Time to un-DAPO the "new" car, Bad things happened to a nice car
BillC
post Feb 13 2024, 08:13 AM
Post #141

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,667
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Feb 12 2024, 09:47 PM) *

Did you seal the bolt for the thermostat pulley?

Yup, small amount of sealant on the threads prior to screwing in the bolt.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BillC
post Feb 17 2024, 07:10 PM
Post #142

The last of the engine parts came in -- thermostat & related parts from Awesome Powdercoat, and the oil pressure relief valve from Tangerine Racing. Here's a pic of the thermostat installed:
Attached Image
The thermostat itself from Awesome Powdercoat is a very nice piece. Unfortunately, his bracket needed quite a bit of finessing for everything to fit & line up correctly. And the pulley he sells is a storm door roller that seems to be a little smaller than the original -- I had to file the cable hole in the sheet metal aft about 3/16" to keep the cable from dragging.

Fortunately, the oil pressure relief valve went right in place with no issue, once I found the tool I made years ago for unscrewing the retaining bolt. No pics of that though, since there isn't anything to see once it's all in.
+Quote Post
BillC
post Mar 18 2024, 05:36 PM
Post #143

Lots of other things going on, now that winter is ending, but I have made some progress on the 914.

Since my last update, I have been preparing the engine compartment so the engine can be reinstalled. So far, I have scraped out and replaced cracked seam sealer, treated more areas with rust converter, installed new seals around the engine tin opening and finished installing the stainless steel fuel lines.

Here are a couple of pics:
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Mar 18 2024, 06:04 PM
Post #144

Member No.: 8,476
Region Association: None

What rust converter did you use? POR-15?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
BillC
post Mar 18 2024, 06:43 PM
Post #145

QUOTE(windforfun @ Mar 18 2024, 08:04 PM) *

POR-15 isn't a rust converter, it's a paint. It may seal rust from moisture, but it doesn't actually do anything to the rust (except stick to it). Plus, I've heard plenty of bad stories about POR-15 failures.

I'm using this:
Attached Image
It chemically converts rust to a different iron compound that is chemically inert as well as sealing the surface. There are other brands with the same action, this is what the FLAPS had on the shelf.
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Mar 18 2024, 07:36 PM
Post #146

Ditto on that. So how does this stuff convert rust to a different compound? How does this stuff work better that POR-15? Just curious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrosion

I remember now, it converts rust into what? Now I can't remember. Plutonium perhaps.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_converter
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Mar 18 2024, 07:47 PM
Post #147

See item # 4:

https://mechanicbase.com/reviews/best-rust-converter/

And Bob's your uncle ("Mission Impossible - Dead Reckoning" IIRC.)

+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Mar 18 2024, 10:17 PM
Post #148

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Nice work. You might want to miter the corners of the engine compartment seals so they will close up tightly when the engine is in place.
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Mar 19 2024, 12:24 PM
Post #149

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(BillC @ Mar 18 2024, 08:43 PM) *

QUOTE(windforfun @ Mar 18 2024, 08:04 PM) *

POR-15 isn't a rust converter, it's a paint. It may seal rust from moisture, but it doesn't actually do anything to the rust (except stick to it). Plus, I've heard plenty of bad stories about POR-15 failures.

I'm using this:
Attached Image
It chemically converts rust to a different iron compound that is chemically inert as well as sealing the surface. There are other brands with the same action, this is what the FLAPS had on the shelf.

I'll second that, the Loctite stuff did the trick, turns the surface a dull black.
Barefoot
+Quote Post
914_Tcup
post Mar 19 2024, 10:03 PM
Post #150

Member No.: 27,754

I am so impressed by the way you documented your work...I (we) owe you for this!
Thank You. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

You showed me the amount of misery and pleasure I have ahead, but knowing there are these different methods in solving the problems gives me hope in restoring my car.

Do you have a post somewhere about your "Boxster"? I am looking at purchasing one, but want to see what others who wrench on them think. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
BillC
post Mar 20 2024, 07:34 AM
Post #151

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Mar 19 2024, 12:17 AM) *

You might want to miter the corners of the engine compartment seals so they will close up tightly when the engine is in place.

That's a good suggestion. However, I think I'll wait until after the engine is in, just so I don't accidentally trim too much off.

IIRC, the factory actually installed hog rings to keep the corners closed.

QUOTE(914_Tcup @ Mar 20 2024, 12:03 AM) *

Do you have a post somewhere about your "Boxster"? I am looking at purchasing one, but want to see what others who wrench on them think. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

The Boxster is a '99 that I bought as a failed restoration and turned into a Spec Boxster race car. The guy I bought the car from bought it from an estate sale, but quickly realized it needed more work than was financially effective -- the roof was torn, the a/c shot, clutch slipped, old brakes & bearings, mice had moved into the center console, etc. This was perfect for a race car donor, since it was all stuff that would be removed or replaced in the conversion process.

Being a newer car, it is a little more complicated to work on (as a street car) than a 914. But the best part is virtually no rust -- the factory rust protection was greatly improved over the intervening 26 years. As a race car, though, it is fairly simple to work on, since most of the complicated stuff (a/c, heat, folding roof, interior, radio, etc.) has been removed.

Sorry, no post about the car, though. However, I did write a 2-part article about the conversion a couple of years ago for the local PCA chapter magazine, Der Vorganger. If anyone is really interested, I can see about copy/pasting it here.
+Quote Post
BillC
post Mar 24 2024, 04:06 PM
Post #152

In today's episode of "Trying to work on the 914 while life gets in the way", I finished wiring up the third brake light. I wanted to make sure I could remove the engine lid without having to remove all the wiring, and also to connect it to the car without modifying the factory harness.

First step was installing a plug at the base of the engine lid, so I can unplug the wires if the lid has to come out. I bought a Deutsch connector kit and crimp tool on amazon, and was pleasantly surprised at how well the crimp tool works.
Attached Image

For the wiring, I bought a roll of dual-conductor 16-ga wire in a black sheath, and ran it under the firewall padding and along the factory harness. Then, I used these piggyback connectors to tie into the left, rear brake light:
Attached Image Attached Image
I made sure to heatshrink some insulation over the piggybacks, just to help keep things from shorting.

Finally, here's a pic of the 3rd light lit up:
Attached Image
The trunk lid isn't closed, which is why it looks a little funky.
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Mar 24 2024, 06:52 PM
Post #153

Member No.: 21,628
Region Association: Southern California

Worthwhile addition - nice work.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Mar 24 2024, 08:28 PM
Post #154

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Very cool.
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 6 7 8
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 09:45 AM