Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 7 8 9  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Time to un-DAPO the "new" car, Bad things happened to a nice car
Montreal914
post May 20 2024, 08:15 AM
Post #161

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

Yes, that is what I was referring to. I am sure you will keep an eye on it once driving regularly the car.

Nice progress! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BillC
post May 22 2024, 08:45 AM
Post #162

Member No.: 18,667
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 19 2024, 07:31 PM) *

RE: your relay board.

All of the relay boards have the boss for the brass insert, but they dropped the insert, the shaft and the knob in 75.

Take the old relay board and use a bolt and socket to extract the brass insert. Then press it into the new relay board. Put a drop of super glue in the hole before pressing in the insert.

That's an excellent suggestion, @ClayPerrine ! I just posted a wanted ad for an old, broken relay board in the Classifieds forum, since my old board was still working when the car arrived -- I'd rather trash something already broken instead of one that appears to still be usable.

If anyone has an old, broken relay board with a good threaded insert that they want to get rid of, please let me know. Thanks!
+Quote Post
BillC
post May 27 2024, 04:47 PM
Post #163

Got a little more work done on the car. Installed new clutch, gas and heater control cables. Also installed the rebuilt pedal cluster, new gas pedal, shifter and shift rod (front half) and heater control lever. Since I marked the shift rod on the shifter before I took them out, the shifter should be fairly close to the proper alignment, but won't know for sure until the engine and trans are back in.

Pedals:
Attached Image

Shifter:
Attached Image

Cables and shift rod:
Attached Image

I also started to take a look at installing the heat exchangers on the engine. That's when I discovered that my great pile of muffler gaskets are all for 1.7L engines. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) So, now I have some 2.0L gaskets on order....
+Quote Post
930cabman
post May 27 2024, 05:08 PM
Post #164

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

Lookin good, what will you be applying to the floor?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
BillC
post May 28 2024, 02:55 PM
Post #165

QUOTE(930cabman @ May 27 2024, 07:08 PM) *

Lookin good, what will you be applying to the floor?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

For now, I'm just going to leave the factory asphalt sound deadening, and will put new carpets over them. At some point in the future, if I keep the car long enough, I will eventually treat it to a full restoration that will start with stripping everything down to bare metal, and I'll deal with flooring applications then.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post May 28 2024, 07:50 PM
Post #166

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565

So as part of the DAPO crowd (this is the first thread that popped up when I searched...) Trying to find out what my speedo doesn't work in the new-to-me 968 (no worries, I still have the 914) and I find this...

"Why"? Because the PO was trying to extinguish the airbag light from when he installed a Momo wheel (which I covered with a resistor).

So tell me why we do this?

I now have speedo- and odo-age. Cruise still doesn't work though.

Sigh...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
BillC
post May 29 2024, 08:35 AM
Post #167

QUOTE(GregAmy @ May 28 2024, 09:50 PM) *

So as part of the DAPO crowd (this is the first thread that popped up when I searched...) Trying to find out what my speedo doesn't work in the new-to-me 968 (no worries, I still have the 914) and I find this...

"Why"? Because the PO was trying to extinguish the airbag light from when he installed a Momo wheel (which I covered with a resistor).

So tell me why we do this?

I now have speedo- and odo-age. Cruise still doesn't work though.

Sigh...

Duct tape and wire nuts. That's some outstanding DAPO-tastic work there.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
BillC
post Jun 10 2024, 03:04 PM
Post #168

Things have been pretty busy around here, as usual, but I managed to squeeze a little 914 time in this weekend.

I was going to start mounting up the used heat exchangers I bought years ago, so I pulled them out of the shelves to get started. However, once I got a good look at them, I decided I had to spend at least a little time trying to clean them up.

Here's how the first one looked:
Attached Image

I tried a few cleaning chemicals lying around in the garage, but none of them made a noticeable dent in the baked-on crud. So I stopped, stepped back and thought a bit (yeah, I almost set the smoke alarm off with those thoughts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) ) -- what gets used for cleaning baked-on oily gunk? Oven Cleaner! So I went up stairs, and managed to dig out a can from under the sink. I still had to use quite a bit of elbow grease while I was at it, but it did a reasonably nice job.
Attached Image

I did top and bottom of both heat exchangers, wiped them off and then took them outside and hosed them off. I think they turned out pretty good:
Attached Image

It ended up taking a couple of hours, but they look sooo much better than before.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jun 10 2024, 03:43 PM
Post #169

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877

The heat exchangers cleaned up nicely, make sure you check the sealing surfaces. It's easy to have an exhaust leak when they do not seal good at the copper washers
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 02:49 PM