Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Time to un-DAPO the "new" car, Bad things happened to a nice car
bkrantz
post Nov 28 2020, 08:58 PM
Post #81

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Morph914 @ Nov 11 2020, 07:10 PM) *

Your thread makes me realize how fortunate I was to obtain a clean dry car with no dapo issues to deal with.
Thank you for posting your progress, keep up the good work!

Cheers,
John

What fun would that be? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Nov 29 2020, 10:25 AM
Post #82

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(BillC @ Nov 28 2020, 11:07 AM) *

Then, after I was finished with the mirror holes, I went back and painted all the rusty areas inside the door with rust-converter. It's not ideal, but it should stop the door from rusting inside-out before the car can get a full restoration.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) Good job. Love these sorts of pictures to reinforce there is no such animal as a rust free 914 regardless of how it looks on the outside!

Keep going - your car is coming along nicely. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
BillC
post Nov 29 2020, 04:21 PM
Post #83

Member No.: 18,667
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Now it's time to tackle a common 914 problem (woohoo! . . . err, I think . . .) -- the jack points. Mine actually looked pretty good externally, but I discovered that both were packed full of sand and rust. Here's what the driver's side looked like after getting the sand out. Those little "lines" next to the vent hole are actually rust perforations, not scratches.
Attached Image

The passenger side was actually in worse shape than the driver's side, so that's where I started. Here's what the passenger side looked like after I took some tin snips to it:
Attached Image
Pretty nasty inside.

At this point, there really isn't much choice except to replace (at a minimum) the jackpoint reinforcements. When I've read other people's projects, they usually chop off a good-sized chunk of the quarter panel behind the door opening. While this makes access to the top of the reinforcement much easier, it requires a lot of work to fix the quarter afterward.

I decided to try a different approach. I bought one of those little belt sanders you see on various car restoration shows.
Attached Image
This thing works great! I'm astounded, I wish I had bought one many years ago. The 36 grit belt just zipped through the sheet metal, making it very easy to remove the spot welds on the bottom and the sides. The plan is to reach down from above (inside the quarter panel) to remove the top of the reinforcement.

I got about 80% through the removal process today -- the bottom and both sides are gone. The top part will have to wait for later, since I'm out of belts. The sander only came with one 36 grit belt, which lasted through taking off about half the reinforcement. The other belts that came with the kit didn't last very long, since they were finer grit. So, now I have to wait for a new order of belts to come; they should be here in time for next weekend.

This is what the piece looks like now:
Attached Image

Haven't quite decided what to do about the inner sheet metal. There are no penetrations and the jack post is solid, but the sheet metal is rather thin in spots. I'd like to replace the sheet metal, but replacement stampings are rather pricey, especially for the small pieces I'd need from it. On the other hand, McMaster sells galvanneal sheet -- I can get a 2'x2' panel for less than half of one of the pre-formed parts, and have plenty left over. I guess we'll see once I get the rest of the old reinforcement out.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Nov 29 2020, 04:43 PM
Post #84

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Chasing the rust is a very very slippery slope. I began drinking when we were cutting out rust and replacing panels. I did not think I was going to survive that seemingly never-ending trauma.

In reality, looking back, dealing with the rust really was not that bad on my car. It mostly had bad body repair work from when these cars were a dime a dozen (and in VA) when no one took the time to do it correctly.

Fortunately, I had Kent Simmons (Auto Art Customs,Torrance, CA) on the job and he was 1000% up to the task. I have never regretted meeting and getting to know Kent. All I can say is if you have rust, not even bad rust, find someone who knows what they are doing so that rust issue, even after rust repairs, doesn't keep haunting you in all sorts of different ways. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
BillC
post Dec 5 2020, 05:07 PM
Post #85

So, the new sander belts came in and I got back to work on the car this morning.

Here's what the remains of the jackpoint reinforcement looked like from inside the quarter panel:
Attached Image

About a half-hour later, this is what that space looked like:
Attached Image
I am really liking this little belt sander. However, the generic 36-grit belts were disappointing -- the grit was caked on so thick, most of it cracked off pretty quickly. Fortunately, I also ordered some 3m cubitron 60+ grit belts that did a great job on the old sheet metal and rust.

Once I got the rest of the old reinforcement out, including cleaning the remnants off the jack post, I tried dry-fitting the new piece. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I can get the panel in place with just some wiggling; I was afraid I'd have to cut it in half, but no need.
Attached Image

After that, I soaked the whole area down with Ospho. The plan is to use some Eastwood internal-chassis paint inside that area once everything is welded back in place.

Also, since I had the welder out, I decided to weld up the hole in the sheet metal under the door opening. You can see the hole in the above pics.
Attached Image

With any luck, I'll be be able to weld the reinforcement in place tomorrow.
+Quote Post
BillC
post Dec 6 2020, 12:13 PM
Post #86

And . . . done!
Attached Image

It even works!
Attached Image

I need to finish cleaning up and painting this side, then it's on to the other side (joy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) )
+Quote Post
BillC
post Dec 20 2020, 05:00 PM
Post #87

And, now for the moment you've all have been waiting for!

Okay, well, maybe not all of you. Errr, well, maybe not any of you.... But it's the moment I've been waiting for, for far too long -- time to reinstall the passenger door!

It took a while to clean up the rust and old primer on the sill. It was all sanded down, treated with Ospho, re-primed and repainted. Here's what it looked like, just waiting for the door:
Attached Image

One little trick I figured out a long time ago, on a project far far away, is using studs to help with bolting on the hinges. Put one stud in the body plate for each hinge (one top and one bottom). This makes it much easier to line up and install the first two bolts. Once they're in, unscrew the stud and install the last bolt. Here's the idea:
Attached Image
The doors mount with 8-1.25mm bolts, which are the same size as the exhaust studs. So, most of you probably already have a few lying around somewhere.

And, now the moment .... yeah, you know what's coming. The door installed!
Attached Image
This was a two-person job. I held the door in place, while my oldest son (who's home from grad school) installed the bolts. Then, he helped me adjust the door. It's lined up much better than when it arrived.

While I was at it, I also installed the passenger-side mirror. It's just a normal driver-side mirror, flipped over. Someday I may get a piece of convex mirror glass for it, but for now it'll work, and it just looks so much better than those aftermarket mirrors that were on my previous 914.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Dec 20 2020, 07:01 PM
Post #88

Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

Great work. Looks really good.
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Dec 20 2020, 09:16 PM
Post #89

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343

Looks great.

And I agree: grad school sons are sometimes helpful.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Dec 21 2020, 12:01 AM
Post #90

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Reading this makes me want to build another car. For now, I'll just watch from afar and admire your workmanship
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Dec 21 2020, 09:01 AM
Post #91

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(BillC @ Dec 6 2020, 01:13 PM) *

And . . . done!
Attached Image

No getting off that easy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) Do tell . . . . How did you weld the top? I'm assuming MIG with blind point & shoot approach?

I've got a similar situation but will need to TIG. I'm really debating about removing the top 1/2 of the pyramid. I want full fresh metal in there but I think it's going to be almost impossible to weld the top. Having said that the welds along bottom and side would be more than enough to provide a functional support. Maybe just seam seal the top and be done with it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
BillC
post Dec 21 2020, 09:32 AM
Post #92

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 20 2020, 10:16 PM) *

And I agree: grad school sons are sometimes helpful.

Yup, especially when they figure out how to pay for grad school on their own! In this case, he has a research assistant position that includes tuition and pays a stipend that covers room and board.

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 21 2020, 10:01 AM) *

And . . . done!
Attached Image

No getting off that easy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) Do tell . . . . How did you weld the top? I'm assuming MIG with blind point & shoot approach?

I've got a similar situation but will need to TIG. I'm really debating about removing the top 1/2 of the pyramid. I want full fresh metal in there but I think it's going to be almost impossible to weld the top. Having said that the welds along bottom and side would be more than enough to provide a functional support. Maybe just seam seal the top and be done with it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

As you guessed, I used a MIG welder. I pre-drilled all the rosette holes, then one-at-a-time, positioned the MIG gun over each hole and filled in the spot. I used the goggles from my acetylene torch, since I couldn't get my head in position to see while wearing the welding helmet -- it was a little bright, but much better than no protection at all. I did the top after doing the sides and bottom, so I didn't have to worry about the piece moving while welding.

Rather than just seam-sealing the top of your pyramid, maybe you can TIG the sides and bottom and then MIG weld the top like I did. Ugly welds hidden where no one can see should be better than no welds at all.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Dec 21 2020, 10:12 AM
Post #93

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Bill, @BillC , great job. So nice to see that door fitting properly and you are 100% right about the stock mirrors- they fit the car perfectly. I too wish I had a convex mirror on my passenger side mirror. Great Job. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Dec 22 2020, 12:31 PM
Post #94

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 21 2020, 10:01 AM) *

And . . . done!
Attached Image

Don't need the top welds, for shear, all other welds have enough to handle this and in bending, all the bending loads on the top half are trying to push the gasset into the longs anyway, no tensile loads on those welds. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 22 2020, 02:29 PM
Post #95

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845

Just getting caught up on your thread. Fantastic work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) The stud for hanging doors is a great tip!!! I lost count of the number of times I mounted my doors solo and could have really benefited from that bit of wisdom (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
BillC
post Jan 10 2021, 11:43 AM
Post #96

It may look like not much has happened since the last update, but most of that time was waiting for two little rubber bumpers. First place was back-ordered, but didn't bother to tell me before they shipped the rest of the order, which ended up taking nearly three weeks to be delivered (thanks again, usps. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) ). I then asked if anyone on this forum had a pair and finally found a pair , but now that shipment is lost in usps hell. So, ended up getting a pair from Stoddard, which was the same price as the original vendor.

So, this is what the decklid looked like when I removed it from the car. The PO had primed a lot of area, trying to minimize the spread of rust, but didn't actually do any rust removal.
Attached Image Attached Image

I took the grill and springs off, removed the extra primer, cleaned up the drip tray and repainted the decklid. Here's what it looks like back on the car:
Attached Image
I thought I had taken a few pics after it was all painted and reassembled, but I guess I didn't (sorry).

While it was apart, I decided to add a third brake light. Someone on a local forum sent me a string of LED lights. Thanks, Matt! Here's what the new light looks like:
Attached Image
I will end up wiring it to the brake circuit, so it will light with the regular brake lights (already replaced with a set of Spokewerks LED tail lights).

And, in case anyone was wondering, here's what one of those long-delayed bumpers looks like installed:
Attached Image
+Quote Post
pete000
post Jan 10 2021, 03:25 PM
Post #97

Member No.: 12,094
Region Association: South East States

Just remember that is wasn't all that long ago these cars were considered cheap junk and people butchered them up on a regular basis...
+Quote Post
BillC
post Jan 17 2021, 02:16 PM
Post #98

Time to take on the last rusty area I've found -- the driver's side latch post and jack point.

Here's what it looks like to start:
Attached Image
Attached Image

This side doesn't look much worse than the passenger side. However, I'm going to have to replace the jackpoint tube, since I poked through the metal at the bottom when cleaning out rust.

Also, when I unscrewed the latch post, the screw plate underneath wouldn't move. Turns out, that area was packed full of this god-awful light-brown sand. The only heavily-rusted places I've found on this car are places where the sand was packed in -- both jackpoints, the lower driver's latch panel where the vent tubes run and (of course) the pocket for the latch post screw plate. Some DAPO must have driven this car on the beach multiple times (or just one time very enthusiastically).

With some poking and prodding, I finally freed up the screw plate. I also knocked a surprising amount of sand on the floor -- could the inside of that pocket be like a tardis (bigger on the inside)? Unfortunately, it turned out that the backside of the pocket is rusted out, so I'll need to purchase or make a replacement.
Attached Image

I already have a replacement latch panel, latch reinforcement and screw plate, but can't find a replacement pocket cap (or whatever it would be called).
I'll make one if I have to, but would like to see if a new one is commercially available.

Does anyone know if a replacement for that pocket/cap is available? I've already checked Restoration Design and AutoAtlanta, but can't find the part on either site.
Any leads are appreciated -- looking for the sheet metal piece circled in red.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
BillC
post Jan 18 2021, 07:27 PM
Post #99

I was able to spend more time today on the car, stripping off rusty metal. I got the jackpoint pyramid and tube off. And cut out most of the rust at the bottom of the latch panel; not sure how much more I'll be taking off, but at least a little more.

I also cut out the section where the door latch mounts. I was really hoping to leave that section of the latch panel intact and just fill the little rust holes. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the support piece behind it out without better access; so, out it all came....

Here's what it looks like now:
Attached Image

Also, here's what the recessed pyramid area inside the jackpoint looks like:
Attached Image
This side is definitely worse than the other side. So, I'm going to make a replacement piece out of some 16ga galvaneal I already have and weld it in. I've left the part in place for now, so I can make a pattern off of it (more masking tape...). It's fairly complex, with four triangular panels and a recessed pocket at the bottom for the jack tube, so it'll end up being two pieces welded together.
+Quote Post
jaredmcginness
post Jan 19 2021, 05:38 AM
Post #100

Member No.: 23,209

Nice work! I used 16g for that section on my car and it came out rather nicely. Really sturdy. Should last another 40 years.

Keep it up!
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:11 PM