Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CV Bolt Replacement, Best Practice and While I'm in There?
Nogoodwithusernames
post Jul 2 2020, 10:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,051
Region Association: None

Was going to take the 914 out for a spin tonight (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) and two streets from the house *POP* and engine free revs... Figured I broke an axle or something along those lines and sure enough drive side axle is no longer connected to the trans. Haven't dug in to find out if the bolts sheared or backed out but it needs fixing.

I'm planning on replacing all the CV bolts with the safety wire versions from 914 rubber and obviously safety wiring them. But should I locktite them? Antisieze? Neither? Figure I'd clean them and repack the grease, anything else while I'm under there? Might finally put the new shifter bushings I've had sitting around for eons...

(Also how many are there? I think VW has 6 bolts per CV, same for our little NARP? *EDIT* 914 rubber says it right on their site, 16 total.)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Jul 3 2020, 02:08 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

4 bolts + 2 roll pins per CV joint.

Make sure you have the roll pins, I have found them missing on cars before
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Jul 3 2020, 06:09 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(JamesM @ Jul 3 2020, 12:08 AM) *

4 bolts + 2 roll pins per CV joint.

Make sure you have the roll pins, I have found them missing on cars before

No loctite needed if you safety wire....
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jul 3 2020, 06:49 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Run the 12.9 bolts instead of the stock ones. Use new Schoor washers every time for a better bite. 4 bolts per CV= 16 total. If you torque them properly no safety wire need.
+Quote Post
roblav1
post Jul 3 2020, 07:36 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 14,943

If you're running the early 911 CV's with 2 pins and 4 bolts each, Schoor washers for the CVs on a Hummer are better and cheaper.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Jul 3 2020, 07:37 AM
Post #6

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Like many things on our cars, it all works as a system. New bolts and schnoor washers should be fine. No loctite or anything else needed. I’ve never had any back out. The safety wire is great for extra peace of mind.
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Jul 3 2020, 07:49 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I too have been through this. I discovered the main culprit causing the CV's to work loose it the output flange on the transmission. What happens is when the CV works loose, the bolts pull on the threaded portion of the output flange. This makes the threaded spots higher than the rest of the flange. It may seem that the CV and the output flange are sitting flat to each other but they are not. If you remove the flange and chuck it in a lathe and make a "clean up" cut you will see the high spots are at the thread holes. Once this is clean and flat, screws and new Schorr washers are all that is needed. I use standard socked head cap screws
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jul 3 2020, 07:50 AM
Post #8

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

Clean the holes for the CV bolts. Grease affects the torque value.
If you dont use safety wire put a dot of bright paint on the bottom of the bolt and flange. Check occasionally to see if the dots do not align and they are beginning to back out.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
cary
post Jul 3 2020, 08:04 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My only addition. If you damage the hex socket in anyway. Change out the bolt.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 3 2020, 08:21 AM
Post #10

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 3 2020, 07:49 AM) *

Run the 12.9 bolts instead of the stock ones. Use new Schoor washers every time for a better bite. 4 bolts per CV= 16 total. If you torque them properly no safety wire need.

Also, break out your torque wrench, and properly torque the bolts. Done correctly, you won't have any issues with them backing out.

+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 3 2020, 09:49 AM
Post #11

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

We stock the safety wire version and the Schoor washers you can start with the new bolts
The wire will definitely hold them, But you can even cheat and go every other if you want to save a buck.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jul 3 2020, 11:19 AM
Post #12

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

As long as you use new Schnorr washers, make sure the treads are free from grease, and torque to spec, you’ll be good. Schnorr washers are one and done, and 100% not reusable. That’s where people have trouble
+Quote Post
michael7810
post Jul 3 2020, 11:36 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 13,164
Region Association: Southwest Region

I think it’s a good idea to recheck the torque after 500-ish miles as the gaskets can settle a bit. After the retorque I’ve never had one loosen and I don’t use safety wire.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 3 2020, 11:45 AM
Post #14

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(michael7810 @ Jul 3 2020, 01:36 PM) *

I think it’s a good idea to recheck the torque after 500-ish miles as the gaskets can settle a bit. After the retorque I’ve never had one loosen and I don’t use safety wire.

The question comes up all the time on Pelican. Porsche doesn't safety wire the cv bolts on their passenger cars. The answer is to follow the correct procedure for install and they will stay tight.
+Quote Post
preach
post Jul 3 2020, 01:39 PM
Post #15

Ridge Runner

Member No.: 11,513
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 3 2020, 09:50 AM) *

If you dont use safety wire put a dot of bright paint on the bottom of the bolt and flange. Check occasionally to see if the dots do not align and they are beginning to back out.

I thought that true about grease on fasteners for most of my life.

For the last 13 years I have worked as a mechanic and we are required to lubricate fasteners unless we are required to loctite them. Most of the time it is Molykote P-37, but often it is system oil and in some systems another type of lube.

The engineering thought behind this is that a fastener can have small imperfections that can bind and distort the real torque value. The lubrication prevents this as well as minimizes the chance of the fastener to gall.

The majority of the fasteners I deal with have some sort of locking device, wire or locking elements/anaerobic fluid. Additionally many of them are not ferrous metal and will gall pretty easy.

In my shop at home I tend to use a lubricant on all fasteners except for lug nuts.

Not arguing the point just putting up my experience.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 3 2020, 01:54 PM
Post #16

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(preach @ Jul 3 2020, 03:39 PM) *

For the last 13 years I have worked as a mechanic and we are required to lubricate fasteners unless we are required to loctite them. Most of the time it is Molykote P-37, but often it is system oil and in some systems another type of lube.

The engineering thought behind this is that a fastener can have small imperfections that can bind and distort the real torque value. The lubrication prevents this as well as minimizes the chance of the fastener to gall.

The majority of the fasteners I deal with have some sort of locking device, wire or locking elements/anaerobic fluid. Additionally many of them are not ferrous metal and will gall pretty easy.

In my shop at home I tend to use a lubricant on all fasteners except for lug nuts.

Makes sense but in the case of cv bolts, you want them bone dry and clean.
+Quote Post
ericoneal
post Jul 3 2020, 03:20 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 14,795
Region Association: South East States

How much torque?

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 3 2020, 10:21 AM) *

Also, break out your torque wrench, and properly torque the bolts. Done correctly, you won't have any issues with them backing out.

+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 3 2020, 04:18 PM
Post #18

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 3 2020, 12:54 PM) *

I have to agree with Preach here. Unless specified all torque values are not for dry fit. Usually a drop of oil on the 3 starting threads is recommended. Besides, the area is never clean unless you've rebuilt that entire CV and corresponding hub. You're a sharp cookie Mark so I'd like to see where you've read that. For my own enlightenment anyway. I could probably win a bar bet with that knowledge. To the OP. Do not try to loosen the bolts, or tighten for that matter, unless the Allen socket is clean and the 4 square wrench bottoms out completely. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 3 2020, 04:20 PM
Post #19

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(ericoneal @ Jul 3 2020, 02:20 PM) *

How much torque?

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 3 2020, 10:21 AM) *

37 ft lbs IIRC. I wrote it on my 3/8 torque wrench box so I wouldn't have to look it up every time. Did the same for the lug nuts on my 1/2" TW box. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Jul 4 2020, 05:39 PM
Post #20

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 3 2020, 03:18 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 3 2020, 12:54 PM) *

I have to agree with Preach here. Unless specified all torque values are not for dry fit. Usually a drop of oil on the 3 starting threads is recommended. Besides, the area is never clean unless you've rebuilt that entire CV and corresponding hub. You're a sharp cookie Mark so I'd like to see where you've read that. For my own enlightenment anyway. I could probably win a bar bet with that knowledge. To the OP. Do not try to loosen the bolts, or tighten for that matter, unless the Allen socket is clean and the 4 square wrench bottoms out completely. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Wait.....check to see if it IS a triple square or a socket head cap screw (allen). 4 square is a kids game. If it.s a triple square and it.s dirty it.s hard to tell. Clean everything there first and make sure. If you strip one of those that be a no fun zone. Take the triple square bit and seat it with a rap with a small hard mallet.

Also...if you use a cv with no recess for a gasket don.t use a gasket.

BTDT.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:13 PM