Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CV Bolt Replacement, Best Practice and While I'm in There?
76-914
post Jul 4 2020, 07:01 PM
Post #21

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

@914teener (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) I don't know if that was a result of fat fingers or just a plain old Brain Fart!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Nogoodwithusernames
post Sep 27 2020, 02:37 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 20,051
Region Association: None

Alright folks, I finally got around to getting the 914 up on stands and slid under the car to start seeing what was what. I promptly discovered this is a larger task than I initially expected after reading through the procedure in a few of the manuals... I also discovered some additional damage... (output flange and CV, see below)

I'm contemplating just pulling the engine and trans, then pulling the axles.
This would:

1- Avoid having to screw around with the HE's and risk one not sealing up properly upon re-install.

2- Make it much easier to drain and refill the transmission fluid (the output flange on the side that came loose was damaged on one of the locating dowel holes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) and no dowel pins left on that flange)

3- Make installing shifter bushings easier?

4- General clean up and inspection of drivetrain and engine compartment would be nice.

Another issue I saw while under the car, the CV that came loose had broken a piece off the cage that holds the ball bearings in place... Can I get just a new cage or do I need a new complete CV joint?

Anyone up in Nor-Cal (I'm in Yuba City) be willing to meet up for a Saturday and help make sure I don't make any costly mistakes? It's nice having an extra set of eyes and hands from someone with a bit more experience than myself. I'd be more than willing to compensate your time. (An extra floor jack and an impact gun would be nice, but I can borrow an impact gun from my FIL if needed.)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Sep 27 2020, 05:21 PM
Post #23

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

You don’t have to pull it all, but if you are thinking of doing anything else, you might as well, as I’m sure you will see a few other things to do also.
+Quote Post
Ansbacher
post Sep 27 2020, 06:16 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 17,589

When dropping my engine recently I found my CV bolts ridiculously loose. Am I just lucky nothing broke loose prior, or has this problem been blown out of proportion???
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:02 AM