Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> vendor recommendation for either hone/inspection of used cylinders or new P's and C's, 2.2 6 cyl
Optimusglen
post Jul 3 2020, 10:02 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,709
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hey all, my case is due to be finished up at Ollies any day now and I'm starting to think about the next steps of the build. I know that maybe I'd have better luck on one of the 911-centric forums but since it's going in my 914 and since I have more experience here with you guys I thought I'd post here instead.

911T engine (911/07), stock rebuild. Not wanting to put junk on the build, but also not up for spending thousands on just the P's and C's.

I have the stock pistons and cylinders that came off my engine, both look good to the naked eye. But I'd like to have them inspected to get a professional opinion on if they can be reused. And if so, a shop that will clean them up (exterior fins are a bit crusty) and do a proper hone.

If that's out of the question, I'm hoping for recommendations on a vendor for new P's and C's (or just C's). I just finished reading a big thread from 2012 on AA Performance (not Automobile Atlanta) and I'm not sure I want to risk it with the cheap Chinese stuff they sell, but if anyone has first hand experience with them recently I'd certainly be up to hearing about it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 3 2020, 11:21 AM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Jul 3 2020, 12:02 PM) *

Hey all, my case is due to be finished up at Ollies any day now and I'm starting to think about the next steps of the build. I know that maybe I'd have better luck on one of the 911-centric forums but since it's going in my 914 and since I have more experience here with you guys I thought I'd post here instead.

911T engine (911/07), stock rebuild. Not wanting to put junk on the build, but also not up for spending thousands on just the P's and C's.

I have the stock pistons and cylinders that came off my engine, both look good to the naked eye. But I'd like to have them inspected to get a professional opinion on if they can be reused. And if so, a shop that will clean them up (exterior fins are a bit crusty) and do a proper hone.

If that's out of the question, I'm hoping for recommendations on a vendor for new P's and C's (or just C's). I just finished reading a big thread from 2012 on AA Performance (not Automobile Atlanta) and I'm not sure I want to risk it with the cheap Chinese stuff they sell, but if anyone has first hand experience with them recently I'd certainly be up to hearing about it.

If yours can't be used, I would place a WTB on pelican. New is probably around $4-5K and up and there are lots of good used parts being sold right now as people free up cash.
I bought a used set of 3.2 jugs for $300 so I could send them away to get opened up to 96mm and recoated in Nikasil for a later 3.4 build. I already have the max moritz pistons that I got for a song when a guy bailed on his engine upgrade.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
roblav1
post Jul 3 2020, 02:45 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 14,943
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

911T cylinders... should be cast iron. They can be bored to a larger size piston like JE, which should run around $900.
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Jul 3 2020, 03:25 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 19,709
Region Association: Upper MidWest

really aiming for a stock rebuild. I spoke to a friend of mine locally that runs Flat Six (Aaron Hatz) and he's agreed to look at them for me to see if they're reusable.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jul 3 2020, 04:08 PM
Post #5

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Flat Six
720 Morningside Drive
Glencoe, MN 55336

Email: aaron@flat6.com

Good Guy met him on the SCCA Rally Circuit..yrs ago

bahaha, read top post and immediately replied (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

QSC ??
https://www.qscusa.com/collections/porsche
+Quote Post
Nojoah
post Jul 3 2020, 09:38 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 24,234
Region Association: Canada

Aaron does excellent work and is great to work with. He did a full top end on my father's SC a few years ago. Great guy.

Funny that the closest reputable shop for those of us in North-Western Ontario is 8 hours away in a different country. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:25 PM