Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 save or seperate
Tonyorlo
post Jul 9 2020, 06:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,495
Region Association: None

I just traded my 94 jag for this 914. I traded sight unseen, with cash on his end. I honestly expected it to be a total loss, but had a slight hope of saving it and making it a road worthy part time daily driver. Well there’s no chance of that. I just would like to gain you folks approval that this car is not worth saving. This is the second 914 I’ve bought, the first was for the drivetrain and it was very very rough. I’d love to get a 914 that I could drive, but life has been in the way.

Here are some pictures of the car. At the moment my plan is to part the car out.

Opinions? The car supposedly runs by the way.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 9 2020, 06:32 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

People have saved worse but it looks rough.
+Quote Post
Tonyorlo
post Jul 9 2020, 06:36 PM
Post #3

I figured so. Not to sound arrogant, but it’s not past my ability I am just taxed on garage space, time and a long list of current projects.

I am not a regular on here, but will members be upset if I part it out and list it on here? I know parting is frowned upon in almost every car circle.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 9 2020, 06:44 PM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

Well it’s your car to do what you want. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
Nobody likes to see a car cut up but then at least the pieces can help save other cars. Better than just dusting away. You should add the vin to the database here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Rob-O
post Jul 9 2020, 06:46 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,419
Region Association: Southwest Region

I don’t think it’s frowned upon if the car is as rough as this.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jul 9 2020, 07:09 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

Run Forest Run!!!!
+Quote Post
BillC
post Jul 9 2020, 07:24 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 18,667

Wow, that is in rough condition.

What is the original color? Looks like it might be Ravenna Green. Check the Karmann production tag on the driver's side door column and find the paint code. IIRC, there was someone looking for an originally-Ravenna Green car not too long ago.

If you don't want to work on it (and I wouldn't blame you if you don't), maybe offer it for sale here first and then cut it up only of there's no interest.

Or, if you have a place to store it, you could store it away until you have time to work on it or wait for the values to rise high enough that someone will buy it.
+Quote Post
Tonyorlo
post Jul 9 2020, 07:39 PM
Post #8

Thanks for the replies!

Even if I part it out, I’ll have a ton of time removing, packaging and shipping parts. Honestly I don’t want to do it.

If I were to save it, it will have to sit outside for another year or so until I can get my second garage built. I don’t know how much worse it would get though. There are some parts I would like to put on my Ghia.

The original color is the green, I didn’t get the title yet, I plan to get it sometime soon though. Would that color make it rare?

If I were to sell it whole, what’s a fair price to ask?
+Quote Post
Tonyorlo
post Jul 9 2020, 07:49 PM
Post #9

Tag

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tonyorlo
post Jul 9 2020, 08:07 PM
Post #10

Another though I’ve had, make this a road legal autocross car. To fix this stuff, where do you all get your sheet metal? The hell hole, passenger longs, floor and trunk floor is gone. I have the equipment to make repair sections, but it would be a big time saver to just buy replacement metal.
+Quote Post
Nojoah
post Jul 9 2020, 08:10 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 24,234
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Tonyorlo @ Jul 9 2020, 10:07 PM) *

Another though I’ve had, make this a road legal autocross car. To fix this stuff, where do you all get your sheet metal? The hell hole, passenger longs, floor and trunk floor is gone. I have the equipment to make repair sections, but it would be a big time saver to just buy replacement metal.

Restoration Design would be your friend in this case...
+Quote Post
Jett
post Jul 9 2020, 08:19 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 17,686
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Tonyorlo @ Jul 9 2020, 06:49 PM) *

Tag

Ravenna L65K
+Quote Post
Tonyorlo
post Jul 9 2020, 09:05 PM
Post #13

I thought my mind was made up earlier to part the car out, but after the replies on here I might consider fixing it. My wife and kids really like it, my daughter loves the original color too.

I browse classified for 914s almost daily, and the price on these cars is clearly climbing. I’m not saying I want to make this a show car, but I’m in it for $1000. The ones I’ve been seeing for sale, I can’t touch one for less than 5k, and they clearly need sheet metal replaced.

I’m going to pull the interior and some other panels to get a better look. The suspension mounting points all look solid, and the doors close without getting hung up. So if I repair the rust and try to add some additional bracing the car might not be so bad.
+Quote Post
jaredmcginness
post Jul 10 2020, 05:16 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 23,209

If you aren't scared of a little fabrication fun, a lot of drilling holes and a few hundred of spot welds... save it.

The build thread in my signature covers how I did all these pieces. I'd say my car was the same or worse condition. It's saveable with patience and money. Restoration designs has everything you need.

Ravenna Green car is pretty cool too IMO....
+Quote Post
Tonyorlo
post Jul 10 2020, 05:57 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(jaredmcginness @ Jul 10 2020, 03:16 AM) *

If you aren't scared of a little fabrication fun, a lot of drilling holes and a few hundred of spot welds... save it.

The build thread in my signature covers how I did all these pieces. I'd say my car was the same or worse condition. It's saveable with patience and money. Restoration designs has everything you need.

Ravenna Green car is pretty cool too IMO....

Cool I’ll check it out, it will be inspiration for me!

Dumb question, but it’s going to be on blocks for awhile in the driveway till I get more garage space. I don’t want to do anymore damage by jacking it up wrong or supporting it wrong. How should I go about doing it? Jacking and supporting points I mean.
+Quote Post
jaredmcginness
post Jul 10 2020, 07:51 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(Tonyorlo @ Jul 10 2020, 07:57 AM) *

How should I go about doing it? Jacking and supporting points I mean.

Not dumb.

Front: I put a 2x4 along the front torsion bar (between A arms) support by jack stands on both sides.
Rear: Lift up by the motor or trans, cushioned with plywood and jack stands under each trailing arm.

If you want to go for super solid, you can position a 2x4 and stands along the edge of the floor/firewall.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jul 10 2020, 10:13 AM
Post #17

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
Garage space is crucial for these notorious rust buckets on the east coast. Only reason my LE is as nice as she is... garage queen (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Tonyorlo
post Jul 10 2020, 05:33 PM
Post #18

Pulled the carpet and crawled around it a little more. Couldn’t get the seats to move at all. I want to save it so bad, but I’m going to have so much time in it. Here’s a few more pictures. There’s not a corner in this car that’s solid. Someone was a fiberglass/pop rivet wizard too.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
jaredmcginness
post Jul 10 2020, 05:48 PM
Post #19

Thanks for taking all of those photos.

I can gas you up all you want with motivation to fix it. Ultimately - it's up to you. Mine sat around while I stared at it for 6-8 months before I bit the bullet and really started going to town.

Everything pictured is fixable and it went surprisingly fast for me (3 months). With the added bonus of the feeling of accomplishment, knowing you saved a 914.
Sheet metal parts pop up on the classifieds here often, too. I've purchased 2 or 3 for almost half price. Food for thought.
+Quote Post
Tonyorlo
post Jul 10 2020, 06:09 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(jaredmcginness @ Jul 10 2020, 03:48 PM) *

Thanks for taking all of those photos.

I can gas you up all you want with motivation to fix it. Ultimately - it's up to you. Mine sat around while I stared at it for 6-8 months before I bit the bullet and really started going to town.

Everything pictured is fixable and it went surprisingly fast for me (3 months). With the added bonus of the feeling of accomplishment, knowing you saved a 914.
Sheet metal parts pop up on the classifieds here often, too. I've purchased 2 or 3 for almost half price. Food for thought.

So none of this is considered extreme? The suspension feels solid and the doors still close, which are both good signs. When you say buying sheet metal, do you mean factory stuff cut from cars? I can always throw up a WTB add with a ton of pictures.

2 mysteries to me are the center tunnel beside the accelerator pedal, and the rear of the center tunnel between the rear of the seats. Is that just badly butchered or is that normal ?

Also is there a trick to get the seats to move?

Do you feel this is a rotisserie level repair?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 12:14 PM