Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Back fire, loss of power, smoking, Back fire, loss of power, smoking
tsvo
post Jul 12 2020, 11:28 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,616
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hello, I am looking for advice. I have a 1973, 1.7 with FI. It stalled on me, was idling low. Then started to backfire, constantly. Little to no acceleration with pedal pushed. Was only able to hit 25mph. If not on gas, stalled immediately. Started smoking heavily. Seemed to be more from the exhaust. No leaks or drips. Motor was fairly cold, but exhaust was very hot.

Have changed the fuel pump, relocated filter up front. Recently adjusted the points and injectors.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,
Terry
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BillC
post Jul 12 2020, 02:58 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 18,667
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

There is no EGR valve in the stock FI in a '73 1.7.

Was the car running okay before this happened?

My first guess would be to check the fuel pressure. Could be a bad fuel pump or a clogged fuel sock (inside the tank).

Going very lean from low fuel pressure will cause your engine to run poorly. But, driving it while very lean can damage the engine, which could be the source of your smoke.
+Quote Post
tsvo
post Jul 12 2020, 03:19 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 19,616
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(BillC @ Jul 12 2020, 03:58 PM) *

There is no EGR valve in the stock FI in a '73 1.7.

Was the car running okay before this happened?

My first guess would be to check the fuel pressure. Could be a bad fuel pump or a clogged fuel sock (inside the tank).

Going very lean from low fuel pressure will cause your engine to run poorly. But, driving it while very lean can damage the engine, which could be the source of your smoke.

Bill, Thanks for your input. Clearly I didn't realize there was now EGR. Thanks, I was just trying to figure it out from symptoms. I didn't drive it far, a few blocks home. Hopefully not too much damage.

Regards,
Terry
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:02 PM