Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back fire, loss of power, smoking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tsvo
Hello, I am looking for advice. I have a 1973, 1.7 with FI. It stalled on me, was idling low. Then started to backfire, constantly. Little to no acceleration with pedal pushed. Was only able to hit 25mph. If not on gas, stalled immediately. Started smoking heavily. Seemed to be more from the exhaust. No leaks or drips. Motor was fairly cold, but exhaust was very hot.

Have changed the fuel pump, relocated filter up front. Recently adjusted the points and injectors.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,
Terry
BillC
There is no EGR valve in the stock FI in a '73 1.7.

Was the car running okay before this happened?

My first guess would be to check the fuel pressure. Could be a bad fuel pump or a clogged fuel sock (inside the tank).

Going very lean from low fuel pressure will cause your engine to run poorly. But, driving it while very lean can damage the engine, which could be the source of your smoke.
tsvo
QUOTE(BillC @ Jul 12 2020, 03:58 PM) *

There is no EGR valve in the stock FI in a '73 1.7.

Was the car running okay before this happened?

My first guess would be to check the fuel pressure. Could be a bad fuel pump or a clogged fuel sock (inside the tank).

Going very lean from low fuel pressure will cause your engine to run poorly. But, driving it while very lean can damage the engine, which could be the source of your smoke.

Bill, Thanks for your input. Clearly I didn't realize there was now EGR. Thanks, I was just trying to figure it out from symptoms. I didn't drive it far, a few blocks home. Hopefully not too much damage.

Regards,
Terry
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.