Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Under Trunk Temp., Addition to Oil Cooler Thread.
Olympic 914
post Jul 15 2020, 07:00 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

So on the Oil Cooler thread the suggestion was made to place a thermometer under the trunk to check the temps to determine possible difference for cooling efficiency.

I don't know if anyone had done this before. So I broke this off into a new thread for future reference.

One of the Oil Cooler threads

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=347075

So yesterday I did this.

Using a Wifi endoscope taped to a magnetic tool holder with a thermometer.

Placed parallel to the Setrab oil cooler to sample the air temp without the fan blowing directly on the thermometer

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

And went for a drive. My GF rode along to monitor the temps and take notes.

The outside temp was 80 rising to 85 yesterday.

Idling in the driveway the temp rose to 125, after 2 miles of two lane roads 30mph it had dropped to 120.

at 4 miles stop and go it was still 120, Oil temp 200 CHT 340

onto a two lane road for 11 miles with speeds from 30-50 mph air temp was between 118 + 120 deg Oil temp 212 CHT 322

at this point I stopped for 2 minutes to mimic sitting at a long light or in traffic.
the air temp rose to 140 deg Oil temp 210 and CHT 337

Pulled onto 4 lane and accelerated up to 70 mph. After 1/2 mile the air temp had dropped to 125deg oil temp 209 and CHT at 370.

mostly level with some slight grades.

Turned around at 23 miles

Air temp holding at 125 deg Oil temp 213 CHT 330

The battery was low on the endoscope and I had turned it off on the way back, and when I turned it back on I discovered that the duct tape had loosened and I lost my thermometer.

My setup is a 2056 9590 cam Djet. , Oil cooler is Setrab 119 fanpack 180 deg oil thermostat and 190 deg sensor for the fan. Exhaust is SS HEs and a Triad muffler.

When running in normal summer heat the fan runs constantly.

If any one else decides to do this Please add your results here.

Tom
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Jul 15 2020, 08:11 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 21,596
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Jul 15 2020, 06:00 AM) *

So on the Oil Cooler thread the suggestion was made to place a thermometer under the trunk to check the temps to determine possible difference for cooling efficiency.

I don't know if anyone had done this before. So I broke this off into a new thread for future reference.

So yesterday I did this.

Placed parallel to the Setrab oil cooler to sample the air temp without the fan blowing directly on the thermometer

Thanks for your practical and very useful information.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Idling in the driveway the temp rose to 125, after 2 miles of two lane roads 30mph it had dropped to 120.

onto a two lane road for 11 miles with speeds from 30-50 mph air temp was between 118 + 120 deg Oil temp 212 CHT 322

at this point I stopped for 2 minutes to mimic sitting at a long light or in traffic.

Pulled onto 4 lane and accelerated up to 70 mph. After 1/2 mile the air temp had dropped to 125deg oil temp 209 and CHT at 370.

The battery was low on the endoscope and I had turned it off on the way back, and when I turned it back on I discovered that the duct tape had loosened and I lost my thermometer.

My setup is a 2056 9590 cam Djet. , Oil cooler is Setrab 119 fanpack 180 deg oil thermostat and 190 deg sensor for the fan. Exhaust is SS HEs and a Triad muffler.

Tom

+Quote Post
914Toy
post Jul 15 2020, 08:14 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 21,596
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(914Toy @ Jul 15 2020, 07:11 AM) *

QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Jul 15 2020, 06:00 AM) *

So yesterday I did this.

Thanks for your practical and very useful information.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Tom

Oops, I posted my reply in the middle of your comments, re "Thanks for your practical and very useful information."
+Quote Post
dirk2056
post Jul 15 2020, 10:26 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 21,304
Region Association: Middle East

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Well done great work!! I would think its much warmer when you are under the car its HOT!! any idea how hot the muffler gets?
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Jul 15 2020, 12:49 PM
Post #5

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(dirk2056 @ Jul 15 2020, 12:26 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Well done great work!! I would think its much warmer when you are under the car its HOT!! any idea how hot the muffler gets?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Great work, Tom! This is very helpful.

So with an ~80 degree temperature gradient between oil and ambient air over the HE's there has to be SOME cooling potential.

Some day I will try to replicate. And I owe you a new meat thermometer for sacrificing one for the cause (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jul 15 2020, 01:03 PM
Post #6

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

Sometimes an unexpected thread comes along that hits. So simple but gold. Thank you.

But just keep things in good order and drive the hell out of it. Sometimes worrying about heat to THIS level sucks away the fun factor.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Jul 20 2020, 11:53 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565

This just arrived...$52 delivered. Four probes, Bluetooth to the phone, and logging.

Once the weather stops being hot as Hades I'll run a nice 4-point log of some interesting places in the car.

I'm thinking one in the engine compartment near the D-Jet plenum, one under the trunk near the transaxle, one inside the intake of my air duct to the rear-mounted oil cooler, and one above the exit of the oil cooler.

Then I'll go cook me some steakage...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com-15565-1595267625.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Jul 26 2020, 07:54 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Ok, this morning wasn't unbearable heat, so here's my novella...

Test process:

- Equipment as in the above post. Probes were placed in four locations:

#1 (green dot in screen shots), intake of my oil cooler duct I built, with the intent of pulling cool air across the cooler.
#2 (blue dot in screen shots), top of cooler fan, air exiting the cooler
#3 (red dot in screen shots), probe stuck backwards from the engine compartment through a wiring grommet in the vertical sheet metal. So it's measuring the air temperature pretty much at the transaxle/engine interface.
#4 (orange dot in screen shots), probe tye-wrapped to the right side fuel line in the engine compartment.

The car: 1974 2L, dead stock long block (AFAIK) but powered by Microsquirt. The oil cooler has been replaced by a Tangering Racing kit which includes a thermostatic block that bolts up where the stock oil cooler was.

The cooler includes a Microsquirt-controlled fan, which comes on at ~220 and shuts off at ~200. Oil tmeperature is measured at the cooler exit line.

Ambient conditions: sunny, 79F. Started roughly 830AM so low sun.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Jul 26 2020, 08:12 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Test loop: my home is 5 minutes from I-91 in Middletown CT so I left the house and headed for the highway. Initial direction was southbound, which has a gradual decline to New Haven and Long Island Sound. Very light traffic.

As I started out I noticed something that surprised me: the bottom side of my cooling duct was baking. This duct extends downward between the transaxle and the right exhaust and ends roughly below the bottom of the heat exchanger. And it's close.

Recall that the oil cooler has a physical thermostat, which opens at around 180F. The fan does not come on until 220F. So until the thermostats kick in, these first two probes are roughly measuring actual air temperatures in between the heat exchanger and transaxle, and at the top of oil cooler near the trunk.

And it was baking.

It took a bit for the oil temp to come up to speed, but before the fan kicked on I was seeing nearly 200F at the bottom of that duct with 120F at the trunk:

Attached Image

The front under-trunk area and engine compartment wasn't too bad at that point:

Attached Image

Once the thermostat fully opened and the fan finally kicked on the temperatures inverted. What was surprising was how much higher the forward engine probe got:

Attached ImageAttached Image

Long story short, once I had been in highway cruise for about a half hour, everything pretty much stabilized. Oil temps were around 214F with the fan constantly on.

Attached ImageAttached Image

Here's the graphs for all four. You can distinctly see where the duct was baking until the fan kicked on, and how things stabilized. You can also pick out where I exited the highway and sat a bit at the light before reversing course.
Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image[attachmentid=754
686]

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Jul 26 2020, 08:42 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Conclusions? Eh, I'm not gonna make any declarations based on such a small data set. I was surprised kow baked that area between the heat exchanger and transaxle is; I expected some level of radiant shielding from the heat exhanger shroud itself, especially since there's air constantly flowing through there.

There seems to be a lot of stagnant air under there, too. If there was strong airflow then the exhaust heat would be carried away better and the forward temp probe would have pretty much stayed as solid.

In the interest of science, I flipped on my interior heat with the fan, to see if any additional airflow would cool the general airflow under there, and dump the hot air into the cabin instead of out the heater valve. Zilch, zippo. Ddid not affect the temps by even one degree.

I was also surprised at the minimal difference in air temps between the cooler inlet and outlet; I expected not only a higher delta but a higher overall exit temperature. 30F delta is not a lot, making me wonder how I can make it more efficient. Plus, it highlights the significant importance of the inlet temperature flow; if I could get the inlet closer to ambient instead of 130F then I'm confident it would affect the oil cooler temperature a whole lot more. This whole exercise shows how effective the front coolers are, and is making me rethink my support of rear-mounted coolers...but front coolers are such a major PITA on a street car...

Oh well! Digest the info, lemme me know what you think. And if you have some other places you'd like to see my try, I'm open to ideas.

BTW, I may try this again later today when it's hot as blazes, just to see how 15F ambient affects it. Depends on whether I hit the beer early or not...
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Jul 27 2020, 03:00 PM
Post #11

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042

This is good stuff. Thanks for posting. I just finally got a chance to read and digest.

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jul 26 2020, 10:42 AM) *

This whole exercise shows how effective the front coolers are, and is making me rethink my support of rear-mounted coolers...but front coolers are such a major PITA on a street car...

I'm getting on board with this sentiment, Greg.

Rear mounted coolers can probably do the job under the right conditions, but they'll never approach the heat displacement of front coolers (which are a PITA...or at least require cutting).
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Jul 27 2020, 04:04 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

I never got motivated to try it out later in the day (beer). And today has been hot as f....udge.

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jul 27 2020, 05:00 PM) *

Rear mounted coolers can probably do the job under the right conditions, but they'll never approach the heat displacement of front coolers (which are a PITA...or at least require cutting).

The problem I primarily have with front-mounted coolers is I really, really, really don't like having engine-pressure oil all the way to the front of the car, all the way through a thermostat/cooler system, then all the way back to the engine. There's just too much opportunity for pressure loss and introduction of air into the system.

Dry sump? Sure, no prob, there's a stage to drive the engine oil and its circuit is local, and another stage to drive the oil forward and then into a sump tank. I use a 2-stage CB Performance dry sump on my race car.

I know "it's done" but I don't like it in concept. So I run an aft cooler on the street car. It seems to do the job (I may try a Track Night in America event later this year to see if it's "enough").
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jul 27 2020, 04:25 PM
Post #13

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

My rear mounted Setrab double with fans kept the oil temps right around 215 fro the HOT drive to, during, and from the meet last week to the tune of about 400 miles with ambient temps approaching triple digits.

Without the fans running (I did not re-wire the fins in until 90 minutes before we were supposed to leave for the event) oil temps would stick around 225.

Before I put the cooler in, I was seeing oil temps around 240-250.

Rear mounted coolers work just fine on street cars.

Zach
+Quote Post
Craigers17
post Jul 27 2020, 04:54 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 21,317
Region Association: South East States

That's interesting data. Nice Work! One test I'd like to see you try is removing your cooler duct and then replicating the same test run. I wonder if you remove the duct, place the 1st probe as close to the same proximity as it is in the duct, and keep every other variable the same.

....I think that not only would the data from probe 1 be interesting to see, but also how that might or might not affect the #2 probe? Just curious.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Jul 27 2020, 05:03 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Jul 27 2020, 06:54 PM) *

...try is removing your cooler duct and then replicating the same test run. I wonder if you remove the duct, place the 1st probe as close to the same proximity as it is in the duct, and keep every other variable the same...

"Brilliant minds", and all that. I was thinking the same thing as I was driving homeward yesterday. It would be easy to do, given the bottom part screws right off.

Idea was that pulling air from right next to the heat exchanger didn't do what I expected (pull cool air passing underneath) and maybe have made it worse (pulling ho air from off the heat exchanger).

Maybe later in the week. "Watch this space."
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post Jul 27 2020, 07:18 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 897
Region Association: Southwest Region

Just to add more fuel to the fire, I know there are a few members that run their oil coolers inside the rear wheel well in front of the tires.. Anyone got any data for that placement?
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Jul 27 2020, 08:52 PM
Post #17

914 Guru

Member No.: 50

Good info and confusing as always.
I never had issues with my carb-cam 2.0 with a rear cooler.

Plan to try a read cooler with fans and temp hoses. If it works well I’ll do in braided hose. If not, I’ll get out the hole punch and have to pony up $$ for a front setup (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
914sgofast2
post Jul 27 2020, 09:00 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 15,855
Region Association: None

Why not put a heat shield on top of the heat exchanger to deflect heat away from the rear mounted oil cooler?
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 28 2020, 10:59 AM
Post #19

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jul 20 2020, 01:53 PM) *

This just arrived...$52 delivered. Four probes, Bluetooth to the phone, and logging.

Once the weather stops being hot as Hades I'll run a nice 4-point log of some interesting places in the car.

I'm thinking one in the engine compartment near the D-Jet plenum, one under the trunk near the transaxle, one inside the intake of my air duct to the rear-mounted oil cooler, and one above the exit of the oil cooler.

Then I'll go cook me some steakage...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com-15565-1595267625.1.jpg)

cool research thanks for posting, i amgoing to get one of these and do the same, but no shroud on my oil cooler , fan seems like it doesnt come on until about 220, i have a variable rheostat but thats the soonest so i might change this , but i am interested in seeing exact temps for the various locations of themotor even the heads and the oil .
could you put one each in alongside each head at the spark plugs , compare 1,2,3,4? i know we say #3 alwys hotter and thatswhere my single CHT gauge lead goes, .
got to love technology!!
Phil
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Jul 28 2020, 11:38 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 13,287

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Jul 28 2020, 12:59 PM) *

fan seems like it doesnt come on until about 220, i have a variable rheostat but thats the soonest so i might change this

I used a 190 deg thermo switch inline before the cooler.

On at 190 off at 175 (what ever temp you choose it goes off at 15 deg drop)

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp...ID=SETRABSWITCH
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:46 AM