Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How do you secure a late blower in the engine bay?, Believe its a strap - what does it secure to??? Is welding required?
frostyf
post Jul 23 2020, 11:54 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,168
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Can anyone send me a photo of a late blower motor (single outlet with splitter top divert output into two hoses) is secured in the engine bay please.

Have a 1973 2.0litre which had no blower fitted. I've bought a used one which has a single outlet with a pipe coupling that splits into two. I'm not sure what I need to fit this and secure it into the engine space??

I believe the early ones (twin output) had a bracket but the later models had a strap? Is that correct? Do you know what the strap attaches to? Is welding required to the back of the engine space?

If anyone has a photo that would be perfect. There's a strap for sale on the World at a great price, but before buying it I wanted to check. Can't seem to see how that fits on the PET diagrams; they seem to only have the bracket??

Thank you in advance!
Nick
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914werke
post Jul 23 2020, 11:59 AM
Post #2

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

If your car is indeed a mid to late build date 73 you will have a stand that is spot welded to the drivers eng. shelf below the relay board
if it isnt there its probably an early build date (72 MY) in which the blower was mounted to the impeller housing & there was no stand

Early blower motor
Attached Image
Late Motor stand (yes I have these available FS)
Attached Image
Late motor (not a great pic)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Jul 23 2020, 01:11 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jul 23 2020, 04:13 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

there is a cradle on the left front engine shelf under the relay board. There is a rubber pad in the cradle and a thick clamp around the blower and the cradle to secure it

QUOTE(frostyf @ Jul 23 2020, 10:54 AM) *

Can anyone send me a photo of a late blower motor (single outlet with splitter top divert output into two hoses) is secured in the engine bay please.

Have a 1973 2.0litre which had no blower fitted. I've bought a used one which has a single outlet with a pipe coupling that splits into two. I'm not sure what I need to fit this and secure it into the engine space??

I believe the early ones (twin output) had a bracket but the later models had a strap? Is that correct? Do you know what the strap attaches to? Is welding required to the back of the engine space?

If anyone has a photo that would be perfect. There's a strap for sale on the World at a great price, but before buying it I wanted to check. Can't seem to see how that fits on the PET diagrams; they seem to only have the bracket??

Thank you in advance!
Nick

+Quote Post
frostyf
post Jul 23 2020, 09:26 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 17,168
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Thanks for the advice and Olympic Blue, many thanks for the photos - Ideal. A picture paints a thousand words etc!!

Guess I need to buy a stand and get it welded in!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 11:42 AM