Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shipping a 901 tranny, Best way and company
Gearup
post Jul 24 2020, 10:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,660
Region Association: None

Looking for ideas on how and with whom to ship my 914
901 tranny. I’ve heard of them being strapped on Pallets, placed in the plastic black and yellow bins. Any other ideas? Also, who are some companies that you have used to ship who are reasonable and reliable. Thanks Gents.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
michael7810
post Jul 24 2020, 10:24 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,164
Region Association: Southwest Region

Big blue Rubbermaid tub, wrap tranny in plastic bag to contain any oil and then wrap in moving blanket to protect. A few years ago it cost about $100 to ship via FedEx.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 25 2020, 05:13 AM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I used to do the big Rubbermaid tub until FedEx destroyed a $2k, 911 trans with a forklift and wouldn’t honor the insurance because they said it was improperly packed. Now I only ship on a pallet. Wrap with plastic and strap it down with some cheap nylon straps from flaps. I’ve done about 10 trans this way. I use Freightquote
+Quote Post
seanpaulmc
post Jul 25 2020, 09:14 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 20,649
Region Association: South East States

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Thank you, Dr. Evil!
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Jul 25 2020, 10:41 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,574
Region Association: North East States

Invest in some lumber and make yourself a wood box. Strap the gearbox down with straps or rubber fuel hose with a few screws/washers through it. PMS shipped my 915 back to me just like I stated. The trans never moved and was pretty secure when I opened up the wood box. 4x4 on the bottom(so a forklift can pick it up) 1x1 down the sides and along the edges, in case with plywood. Shipping from AZ to NY (including making the box) was $342.00. Used OIA Global for shipping.

The Pallet is a good idea but it was destroyed by the time PMS received my trans.
The forklift operators could've cared less that the pallet was being destroyed while being moved from truck to truck. I'm just glad it wasn't damaged during shipping.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jul 25 2020, 11:24 AM
Post #6

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

Years ago I made a plate out of plywood for the bellhousing, and one for the back of the transmission (muffler bolts), and then put 2x2's on the corners, and wrapped heavy appliance carboard around it
+Quote Post
90quattrocoupe
post Jul 25 2020, 12:46 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 20,561
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Luke M @ Jul 25 2020, 09:41 AM) *

Invest in some lumber and make yourself a wood box. Strap the gearbox down with straps or rubber fuel hose with a few screws/washers through it. PMS shipped my 915 back to me just like I stated. The trans never moved and was pretty secure when I opened up the wood box. 4x4 on the bottom(so a forklift can pick it up) 1x1 down the sides and along the edges, in case with plywood. Shipping from AZ to NY (including making the box) was $342.00. Used OIA Global for shipping.

The Pallet is a good idea but it was destroyed by the time PMS received my trans.
The forklift operators could've cared less that the pallet was being destroyed while being moved from truck to truck. I'm just glad it wasn't damaged during shipping.

I agree.
A built crate is the only way to go. I built my own when I shipped a Audi trans from CA to NH. It arrived undamaged.
I built a crate when I shipped a 5 cylinder Audi motor to New Zealand. I motor was in the bottom, with a shelf for the accessories above it. Everything arrived undamaged.
In both crates, everything was held down with screwed in seat belts, I cut out of cars in the junk yard.
As mentioned above, if something arrives damaged, the shipping company will blame you. Take pictures of the inside of the crate before you ship it.
Cheap insurance.

Greg W.
+Quote Post
Al Meredith
post Jul 25 2020, 01:02 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,061

I just got a quote from "Engine Shipping .com " for a 2X2 wooden box with the transmission mounted inside ,I figured 120 Lbs . From Atlanta to Calif cheapest way was on a truck. If to a residence with a lift gate $369. $85 less to a loading dock.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Jul 25 2020, 04:02 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

Best way I've ever gotten a gearbox was in an old cooler, thick walled and very strong. Bubble wrap what's inside and tape the cooler closed. I recently recommended this same method with a very very rare part and it came in perfect.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 25 2020, 04:21 PM
Post #10

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

OOOOooo ... Fuhrmann 4-cam (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 01:42 PM