Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shipping a 901 tranny
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gearup
Looking for ideas on how and with whom to ship my 914
901 tranny. I’ve heard of them being strapped on Pallets, placed in the plastic black and yellow bins. Any other ideas? Also, who are some companies that you have used to ship who are reasonable and reliable. Thanks Gents.
michael7810
Big blue Rubbermaid tub, wrap tranny in plastic bag to contain any oil and then wrap in moving blanket to protect. A few years ago it cost about $100 to ship via FedEx.
mepstein
I used to do the big Rubbermaid tub until FedEx destroyed a $2k, 911 trans with a forklift and wouldn’t honor the insurance because they said it was improperly packed. Now I only ship on a pallet. Wrap with plastic and strap it down with some cheap nylon straps from flaps. I’ve done about 10 trans this way. I use Freightquote
seanpaulmc
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Thank you, Dr. Evil!
Luke M
Invest in some lumber and make yourself a wood box. Strap the gearbox down with straps or rubber fuel hose with a few screws/washers through it. PMS shipped my 915 back to me just like I stated. The trans never moved and was pretty secure when I opened up the wood box. 4x4 on the bottom(so a forklift can pick it up) 1x1 down the sides and along the edges, in case with plywood. Shipping from AZ to NY (including making the box) was $342.00. Used OIA Global for shipping.

The Pallet is a good idea but it was destroyed by the time PMS received my trans.
The forklift operators could've cared less that the pallet was being destroyed while being moved from truck to truck. I'm just glad it wasn't damaged during shipping.
IronHillRestorations
Years ago I made a plate out of plywood for the bellhousing, and one for the back of the transmission (muffler bolts), and then put 2x2's on the corners, and wrapped heavy appliance carboard around it
90quattrocoupe
QUOTE(Luke M @ Jul 25 2020, 09:41 AM) *

Invest in some lumber and make yourself a wood box. Strap the gearbox down with straps or rubber fuel hose with a few screws/washers through it. PMS shipped my 915 back to me just like I stated. The trans never moved and was pretty secure when I opened up the wood box. 4x4 on the bottom(so a forklift can pick it up) 1x1 down the sides and along the edges, in case with plywood. Shipping from AZ to NY (including making the box) was $342.00. Used OIA Global for shipping.

The Pallet is a good idea but it was destroyed by the time PMS received my trans.
The forklift operators could've cared less that the pallet was being destroyed while being moved from truck to truck. I'm just glad it wasn't damaged during shipping.

I agree.
A built crate is the only way to go. I built my own when I shipped a Audi trans from CA to NH. It arrived undamaged.
I built a crate when I shipped a 5 cylinder Audi motor to New Zealand. I motor was in the bottom, with a shelf for the accessories above it. Everything arrived undamaged.
In both crates, everything was held down with screwed in seat belts, I cut out of cars in the junk yard.
As mentioned above, if something arrives damaged, the shipping company will blame you. Take pictures of the inside of the crate before you ship it.
Cheap insurance.

Greg W.
Al Meredith
I just got a quote from "Engine Shipping .com " for a 2X2 wooden box with the transmission mounted inside ,I figured 120 Lbs . From Atlanta to Calif cheapest way was on a truck. If to a residence with a lift gate $369. $85 less to a loading dock.
Unobtanium-inc
Best way I've ever gotten a gearbox was in an old cooler, thick walled and very strong. Bubble wrap what's inside and tape the cooler closed. I recently recommended this same method with a very very rare part and it came in perfect.
euro911
OOOOooo ... Fuhrmann 4-cam drooley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.