Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NPC: Suggestions on newer cars, Sporty daily drivers
MattR
post Jul 12 2005, 04:46 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

Have you considered a VW? The new passats are really nice and affordable too.

And what makes you think American cars arent reliable? I'd be willing to bet a brand new Dodge or Chevy would be more "reliable" (whatever that means) then a 7 year old BMW.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Jul 12 2005, 04:57 PM
Post #22

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

QUOTE (MattR @ Jul 12 2005, 02:46 PM)
And what makes you think American cars arent reliable? I'd be willing to bet a brand new Dodge or Chevy would be more "reliable" (whatever that means) then a 7 year old BMW.

i agree. american cars have come a long way in the past 10 years.
+Quote Post
jimtab
post Jul 12 2005, 06:43 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 91

Have you considered a VW? The new passats are really nice and affordable too.

Maybe, and cheaper to fix for sure, but not necessarily better or more reliable than a well maintained Japanese car like Honda/Acura or Toyota/Lexus. My last Acura Legend I bought with 80k miles and sold it at 275k mi. still running fine. The guy that bought it has 340k and just did the heads...the bottom is still good...exceptional. Also, the last Isuzu trooper I had lasted over 250k before needing rebuild, after a top rebuild it went to the tip of South America and was sold in Chilie....also not bad. I put it down to great build quality and careful maintainance.
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Jul 12 2005, 06:51 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I can vouch for the WRX.

However I strongly suggest you find a 2004 instead of an 03 or older. The WRX got a LOT nicer in 2004 over previous years. Better seats, nicer interior, better looks (opinions vary) better suspension etc etc etc. Oh and the tach moved to the center of the instrument panel, making it a real sports car.

+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jul 12 2005, 06:52 PM
Post #25

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

5 series,Volvo s60, or Nissan Maxima (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jul 12 2005, 06:57 PM
Post #26

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Jul 12 2005, 05:51 PM)
I can vouch for the WRX.

However I strongly suggest you find a 2004 instead of an 03 or older. The WRX got a LOT nicer in 2004 over previous years. Better seats, nicer interior, better looks (opinions vary) better suspension etc etc etc. Oh and the tach moved to the center of the instrument panel, making it a real sports car.

How ya liking that same size as our 02 rear sway bar that you upgraded to? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
gopack
post Jul 12 2005, 06:58 PM
Post #27

CHEESEHEAD in CA, MARK

Member No.: 2,472

I've got a 1997 M3 with 61K, four door, loaded for sale! i could probably even deliver it to MO if you are interested!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
MattR
post Jul 12 2005, 06:59 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589

QUOTE (jimtab @ Jul 12 2005, 04:43 PM)
Have you considered a VW?  The new passats are really nice and affordable too.

And what makes you think American cars arent reliable?  I'd be willing to bet a brand new Dodge or Chevy would be more "reliable" (whatever that means) then a 7 year old BMW.

Maybe, and cheaper to fix for sure, but not necessarily better or more reliable than a well maintained Japanese car like Honda/Acura or Toyota/Lexus. My last Acura Legend I bought with 80k miles and sold it at 275k mi. still running fine. The guy that bought it has 340k and just did the heads...the bottom is still good...exceptional. Also, the last Isuzu trooper I had lasted over 250k before needing rebuild, after a top rebuild it went to the tip of South America and was sold in Chilie....also not bad. I put it down to great build quality and careful maintainance.

Im not saying japanese cars arent reliable and long lasting, I just think a modern American car can hold up for quite a few miles.
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Jul 12 2005, 09:47 PM
Post #29

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

Acura TL, I had a later body style 1998 2.5 Was a great car while I had it. I love the new body style and should be close to your price range for a car that is a couple/few years old. I had grown up with american cars of the late 70's and 80's and personally I wouldn't own an american car (trucks are ok with me) just from those experiences. They have come a long ways but their interior materials are cheap and fall apart easily. I have a jeep liberty now and has held up well, but you can see the cheapness abound in this car, it will be disposable in another 10-15 years.
+Quote Post
ninefourteener
post Jul 12 2005, 10:22 PM
Post #30

Perfectly Normal Guy :)

Member No.: 779

Wow.... never expected to get this many responses....

I appreciate the offers on the cars, but unfortunately, it has to be a trade-in type deal.

Unless I can sell the RSX outright..... which would be nice. I owe around 15K on the acura..... trade-in is around 12.8K.... so I'm upside down on the trade by about $2200.

However, the retail on the car is around 17K.

I "MIGHT" could get $15K for it.... But I might have to leave the wheels and stereo in it ($4500 just in those), but I planned on pulling them and transfering them to the new car.

I'll try.... If I can get what I owe on it from a private buyer.... I'll bump my "new car price" up to 22 or 23K.

Otherwise, I don't mind taking a $2200 hit on it...... when I bought it, I was $3500 upside down on my last car.... Just goes to show you that Hondas retain their value well.

Thats another reason I don't want to go American........ I lost my ASS once on a 1997 Dodge Avenger ES (my ex wife had to have it...... lost 12K in 11 months). Bought it brand new in 97 for $22.5K....... ex wife discovered she liked the 3000GTs better.... 11 months later...... and she traded it in for $12.5K.....

Dumb bitch.

Anyway.... I'm pretty firm on Japanese or German...... No korean, no American.

I'm also pretty firm on staying with newer cars... for warrantee purposes...... I'd say that 2001 would be the OLDEST I'd go....... MAYBE 2000 if it had SUPER low mileage.

Again.... thanks all for the helpful info.

Matt

+Quote Post
Jenny
post Jul 12 2005, 10:36 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 96

Oh, one thing on the subie. The cup holder sucks. I don't know if it got better with '04, but I doubt it. No big loss. Shouldn't be drinking and driving anyway.

Jen
+Quote Post
Demick
post Jul 12 2005, 11:17 PM
Post #32

Ernie made me do it!

Member No.: 257

Nobody has mentioned the Lexus IS300. Seems to fit your criteria pretty well.

Mazda6 might also be one to look into.

Demick
+Quote Post
brokenmoped
post Jul 12 2005, 11:37 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 4,152

I know you said you want newer cars, but you might want to consider an e30 M3 (latest one made was '92 I believe). Very rare, unique, sporty, roomy, and German. You probably find a low mileage one for around $15k to 20k. I've seen example of 200k miles go for $8k (which is a lot for any car with that much mileage), so I'm thinking these cars are pretty reliable.

But if you want new for sure, go with a WRX wagon; lighter than the regular WRX, sporty, roomy, reliable, safe. That would be my first choice if I wanted a new car to fit my kids in.

-C.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jul 13 2005, 12:09 AM
Post #34

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Buy the Bimmer. Just sold my M3 only because I never drove it.

I work too much. I have a company car... don't ask what it is.. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/barf.gif)
+Quote Post
ninefourteener
post Jul 13 2005, 02:02 AM
Post #35

Ok folks.. I've done a little research..... actually, I can't sleep because I've been up thinking about all this, My fiance is kinda excited.... and kinda worries too... about what I decide to do.

I looked through the local auto trader...... If I were to list my car right now..... only asking payoff..... I would undoubtedly have the best deal on any RSX within 200 miles from me... even if I keep the stereo and wheels for myself.

Most of the 2002 RSXs are going for 16-17K,with 50-60K miles.

Mine has 41K miles, an A-spec factory rear spoiler, and leather..... and I only need $15,300.

With any luck.... I may just be able to sell it privately, and not worry about losing my ass on a trade in.... this is a good thing. More to follow on this one.

I researched what a lot of my interests are going for on eBay..... Strangely enough.... it seems like the one most interesting to me..... isn't what I expected... and I would have never thought to even look if it weren't for this site..... Man I love this site!!!!

WRX: I only like the STIs... and the good ones are out of my price range. Lots of "kid" owners out there with all kinds of mods.. not interested in someone else's "project". Plus..... the back seats are TINY.

Mazda 6: Don't trust em..... read lots of bad reviews

Mitsubishi Evolution: Even worse than the Mazda 6... plus, too pricey.

BMW: Too pricey for the ones I want..... plus... too common.

Acura TL: LOVE the car... but apparently a lot of people do. I only like the 04+, which is too much $$$.. the older ones look ugly to me.

HOWEVER.....................

A 2000-2001 Audi S4????????

250 HP twin turbo V6, 4 doors, 6 spd manual, luxurious interior, sporty exterior............ There are several on eBay with "around" 50K miles, that are around $20K!! Plus, they are SWEET LOOKING!!!!!

look at this one... just as an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...gory=43902&rd=1

So whats the deal??? Am I missing something?? Or is this just the perfect car for me?? Are they pieces of crap?? I would LOVE to hear from ANYONE that has ever owned one of these.. or knew someone that owned one. Again.. I'm looking in the 2000-2001 area.

Much appreciated!!! Matt (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jul 13 2005, 08:00 AM
Post #36

stoya, stoya, stoya

Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

if you are 6'+ the WRX will be too small... seriously check the outback...

I totally understand what you mean about american cars... I have one now, and won't get another... I'm so far upside down on a '99 that it's pathetic!

smart move on selling it outright though... it's always best to have CASH instead of a trade-in

you can't go wrong with Audis they are very well made!

do you like the Volvo S40?
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Jul 13 2005, 08:32 AM
Post #37

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

Gotta second the IS300. The Toyota inline 6 is a sweet motor.
+Quote Post
ninefourteener
post Jul 13 2005, 08:54 AM
Post #38

I checked out the Volvos...... not real thrilled with the S40....... although I liked the S60s...... some of them anyway. They look nice if they are eqipped right though.

Honestly though.... the prices are comperable to the Audi S4.... and the S4 is a much better looking car... to me anyhow. I like that the Audis are available in loud colors.

The IS300...... nice looking car... with comperable prices....... and no all-wheel-drive. For the same price, I'd rather go with an AWD... no??
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Jul 13 2005, 09:14 AM
Post #39

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

Depends on what you like. I'm about as old school as they come, so the IS300 (inline-6 as opposed to V-6 and rear wheel drive) appeals to me. I like to keep it simple because I put a ton of miles on my cars, and the way I see it, AWD is just another thing that will break.

Lots of people swear by AWD, though. I've not had any experience with it myself.
+Quote Post
ematulac
post Jul 13 2005, 09:26 AM
Post #40

914 addict

Member No.: 1,382

QUOTE (ninefourteener @ Jul 13 2005, 01:02 AM)
A 2000-2001 Audi S4????????

250 HP twin turbo V6, 4 doors, 6 spd manual, luxurious interior, sporty exterior............ There are several on eBay with "around" 50K miles, that are around $20K!!  Plus, they are SWEET LOOKING!!!!!

look at this one... just as an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...gory=43902&rd=1

So whats the deal???  Am I missing something??  Or is this just the perfect car for me??  Are they pieces of crap??  I would LOVE to hear from ANYONE that has ever owned one of these.. or knew someone that owned one.  Again.. I'm looking in the 2000-2001 area.

Much appreciated!!!  Matt (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/aktion035.gif)

I love the S4's. I just about fell out of my chair the first time I discovered them.

I drove an A4 Avant with the 2.8 and Quattro for a while ... great car!!! Good acceleration, great handling, and it looked great, too. I can only imagine that an S4 would be soooo much more fun.

AWD to me is like a security blanket. It gives you peace of mind when the weather turns ugly.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 09:44 PM