Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Flywheel question, '74 2.0
tat2dphreak
post Jul 17 2005, 07:07 AM
Post #21

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

if there's a harbor freight near you, that will save you $10 and the shipping... I got mine there for $20 there...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Jul 17 2005, 07:10 AM
Post #22

"Ace" Mechanic

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

Cool! There's one in Laurel, Md., about 5 miles from where I work. I go there at lunch sometimes.
+Quote Post
type47
post Jul 17 2005, 08:14 AM
Post #23

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

just realize that the DAPO that put babydolls engine together was DOUG, not me (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

i got flywheel shims from busdepot (.com) located in PA. maybe that could save some shipping time.....

i read or recall somewhere that the pressure plate bolts are special and on the PP site listed as NLA. don't recall what's so special.....

sounds like you're making good progress and learning alot. wonder if you'll be trading that 'vette for a teener (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

let me know if you are in the DC area, i have a workshop manual on CD and a PET6 (parts catalog) on CD that i can ..... (almost said copy)...... lend (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) you.
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jul 17 2005, 11:36 AM
Post #24

stoya, stoya, stoya

preesure plate bolts are special? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/huh.gif) they don't look it... and I was missing one and used a regular bolt.

I do have the crush washer and an extra set of (5) flywheel bolts, if you want them, send me a PM.

+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Jul 17 2005, 04:44 PM
Post #25

"Ace" Mechanic

Hey Jim,

Maybe you can lend the CD to Caroline and she'll pass it along next time she comes up for a wrenching session. I'd really like to have the clutch, flywheel, etc. all set up before she gets here the next time... I figure I'll need some help putting the fuel lines together, and of course putting the engine/tranny back in.

Gotta make both of my other cars run now... we won't be able to get the engine back in until I can get the 911 out of the left bay, which is where Babydoll is. Unfortunately I spent most of the day installing a new radiator in the Neon. Gonna drive that car until the wheels fall off so I can afford my toys. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

As for trading the Vette for a 914, that ain't gonna happen. I spent 3 years building that car to be exactly the way I want it. I'd sooner trade my left.. umm, my car in the left bay, yeah, that's it. Gotta get some rides in some modified 914's to decide what I want. I'm not in a hurry.

As for pressure plate bolts, I was asking if they were special because I didn't have a lot of space to get a socket on the hex head. I think the round head bolts that are tightened with Allen type wrenches would be a logical application. They are property class 12.9, so I don't think they would break. (Currently have 6 10.9 hex head bolts... one of the 6 that I pulled off was an 8.8.)
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Jul 19 2005, 05:17 AM
Post #26

"Ace" Mechanic

I got the dial indicator and stand from Harbor Freight in Laurel yesterday. $23 complete. I looked at the tubing benders, but I'm going to look at what Sears is selling before I buy anything. The benders they had at Harbor Freight looked to be on the cheap side (after all, it is Harbor Freight) but they only cost $7. If Sears is selling essentially the same thing for $20, it's back to HF I go.
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jul 19 2005, 07:48 AM
Post #27

stoya, stoya, stoya

yep...

I actually got a decent one (for what I do) from Pep boys... does several sizes and works gud for brake lines... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Jul 21 2005, 05:46 AM
Post #28

"Ace" Mechanic

The Sears bender at $20 looks exactly like the Harbor Freight bender for $7. Guess where I'm going...
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jul 21 2005, 07:43 AM
Post #29

stoya, stoya, stoya

smart man... I get a ton of tools from there... decent quality for the money, and if I lose them, no biggie.
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Aug 15 2005, 02:13 PM
Post #30

"Ace" Mechanic

Well, two different VW mechanics have advised me not to use the flywheel that was in the car. It looks like it may have come loose at some point, which is where the damage inside the flywheel and on the end of the crankshaft came from. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)

I'm going to get the spare flywheel resurfaced and use it. Also cleaned up the chamfer on the crankshaft so there are no sharp edges to chew up the O-ring. End play is .042 with no shims installed, .007 with the 3 shims installed. Yes, there were really 3, 2 of them were just stuck together really good.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Aug 15 2005, 05:05 PM
Post #31

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Yes, I wouldn't use that flywheel as it has come loose and banged around.

Have the other one properly machined and then install in, checking the endplay.
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Aug 16 2005, 05:34 AM
Post #32

"Ace" Mechanic

Funny thing... I checked the endplay again last night (re-installed the flywheel twice, once without shims, once with 3 shims) and got .042 without shims (again) but this time I got .009 with the 3 shims. The only difference was that the time I got the .007 measurement, I was working in my garage at close to 100 degrees, and last night it was in the high 70's in the garage. Very peculiar.

The last VW mechanic I spoke to advised me that if I have the surface where the clutch disc rides machined, I should get the surface where the pressure plate mounts machined by the same amount. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a machine shop. I hope to minimize the amount of machining so I don't have to grind down the heads of the flywheel mounting bolts.

Oh, this is amusing... I removed the dowel pins from both flywheels, and on the flywheel that was banged around, the dowel pin looked like it was the broken off end of a drill bit. I could even see the markings on it. I'm gonna have an interesting conversation with the McGyver who built the engine the next time I see him... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 16 2005, 07:30 AM
Post #33

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

dave hunt detailed the installation of the flywheel and ALL the new components required in his 2nd engine build thread.

k
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Aug 16 2005, 07:37 AM
Post #34

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE (zymurgist @ Aug 16 2005, 04:34 AM)
The last VW mechanic I spoke to advised me that if I have the surface where the clutch disc rides machined, I should get the surface where the pressure plate mounts machined by the same amount.

yes, he is right as both surfaces should be machined. In the manual there is a pic showing the max measurement to be machined. Also you must add the amount taken off to the pivot ball of the clutch arm by adding washer shims.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 01:58 AM