Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gauging Interest: GT Oil-cooler Fan support
gereed75
post Jan 23 2021, 08:27 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

Nice set up and to my “seat of the pants” engineering eye, it should be quite effective. Yes a larger exit area would be nice

The efficient design of heat exchangers in air flow and their attendant plenum “systems” is very complex. Compared to what is done in places like Formula 1 and aircraft design, the 914 GT inlet and shroud is a very quick and dirty system. The addition of the fans kinda dominates the system’s airflow characteristics making the other design features pretty much secondary. It is also the fans that will make it effective no matter how clunky the rest of the design is.

It’s a KISS system. Don’t over think it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 23 2021, 11:22 AM
Post #22

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I don't personally like the traditional GT solution with the small louvers. I use the two access holes to the back of the floor. The round covers are held in by seam sealer so there is no cutting involved. It wont work with the stock style GT shroud but I want something custom anyway. I'm going to convince Ben to make me a stainless steel shroud - (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) - I think it will look cool and I won't have to worry about throwing things in the trunk and damaging a glass shroud.
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Jan 23 2021, 12:01 PM
Post #23

Enrique Allen Mar

Member No.: 9,478
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 23 2021, 09:22 AM) *

I don't personally like the traditional GT solution with the small louvers. I use the two access holes to the back of the floor. The round covers are held in by seam sealer so there is no cutting involved. It wont work with the stock style GT shroud but I want something custom anyway. I'm going to convince Ben to make me a stainless steel shroud - (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) - I think it will look cool and I won't have to worry about throwing things in the trunk and damaging a glass shroud.

@mepstein - Thinking to do something in fiberglass after seeing the unit I had and how much work it needed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Bucci
post Jan 23 2021, 05:03 PM
Post #24

Bucci

Member No.: 9,407

Ben, I did my fabrication 21 years ago durning the restoration. I just mimic the factory design. No fans, no over heating problems ever. I’ll add pics below.

Unlike Armando‘s, all sheet metal openings that I cut on the car I retained a return edge of the 90° angle to create structure.

Armando has a very good write up of his journey to duplicate the factory design. He spent all kinds of money fabricating his design.

https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...-project-5.html

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
Armando‘s design

Attached Image
Factory tow hook design I believe.

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 23 2021, 05:17 AM) *

QUOTE(Bucci @ Jan 22 2021, 11:00 PM) *

It would be nice if you opened up the “air” exit on the bottom floor of the trunk. The louver slot openings are tiny. The exit side should be twice the size of of the opening, less pressure more flow.

In fact, I bent the floor sheet metal down on the leading edge of the air exit to help suck out the air creating a suction. Its the same theory as the little plastic flappers on the bottom of the car at the engine bay..!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) but it is what most people have.
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Jan 23 2021, 06:02 PM
Post #25

Enrique Allen Mar

QUOTE(Bucci @ Jan 23 2021, 03:03 PM) *

Ben, I did my fabrication 21 years ago durning the restoration. I just mimic the factory design. No fans, no over heating problems ever. I’ll add pics below.

Unlike Armando‘s, all sheet metal openings that I cut on the car I retained a return edge of the 90° angle to create structure.

Armando has a very good write up of his journey to duplicate the factory design. He spent all kinds of money fabricating his design.

@Bucci - Pretty cool. Do you have any photos without the shroud? Also, did you retain your on-engine cooler?
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Jan 24 2021, 09:52 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 15,674

Looking at the Armando thread and the work that went into that cooler and plenum setup, and as much as it represents the factory effort, I would say that the factory effort was significantly better than quick and dirty.

It is all about directing and controlling airflow. The air is being driven by pressure differential and that differential is surprisingly small in these kinds of systems. The effort done to smooth and contain the airflow in the factory setup is what optimizes the flow and makes it work.

Again, the addition of fans kind of changes the whole equation and makes up for a lot of less than optimal design features.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Feb 27 2021, 09:00 PM
Post #27

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jan 18 2021, 02:20 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 18 2021, 01:10 PM) *

Any chance you could supply it with the fans and wiring harness?

@mepstein - Not a problem at all. Can supply wired with a male/female connector ready to install. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

QUOTE(Steve @ Jan 18 2021, 02:12 PM) *

How about just the hardware, no fans. Curious if my existing spal fans will work? What are the fan specs?

@Steve - Also not a problem, will PM you spal fan specs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

@riquemar how much for just the bracket?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 28 2021, 08:33 AM
Post #28

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

@RiqueMar ,
Still doing these?
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Feb 28 2021, 11:59 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 3,574

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 28 2021, 07:33 AM) *

@RiqueMar ,
Still doing these?

I emailed him about 2 weeks ago and he said he was leaving for a vacation. He didn't say when he was going to be back. To answer your question He was making a list of people that wanted these brackets or whole setup. He was going to work on it when he returned.
I can send him an email to see where this stands and to check in here.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 28 2021, 02:18 PM
Post #30

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Luke M @ Feb 28 2021, 02:59 PM) *

@RiqueMar ,
Still doing these?

I emailed him about 2 weeks ago and he said he was leaving for a vacation. He didn't say when he was going to be back. To answer your question He was making a list of people that wanted these brackets or whole setup. He was going to work on it when he returned.

Thanks, I am interested.
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Mar 4 2021, 02:04 PM
Post #31

Enrique Allen Mar

Hi All - Thanks for the patience.

Traveling alot for work currently. With COVID still a hot-topic, I've limited travel to just myself to avoid our installers being in the field.

Yes, still doing these. To those interested in just the bracket, total is $128 before shipping. Comes pre-bent, painted, and ready to install fans.
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Mar 16 2021, 12:29 PM
Post #32

Enrique Allen Mar

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 28 2021, 01:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ Feb 28 2021, 02:59 PM) *

@RiqueMar ,
Still doing these?

Thanks, I am interested.

Hi All,

Back in California and filling orders now, PMing individuals now!
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Mar 28 2021, 12:28 PM
Post #33

Enrique Allen Mar

Thank you to all who placed the first-set of orders, shipments going out tomorrow. Very proud to show these off! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 10:40 PM