Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oil Breather
ghia1974
post Aug 21 2020, 08:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,033
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I'm sure this topic has been discussed in the past, but being a newbie not really sure how to find the specific threads. Anyway, I have oil leaking out of my oil breather, not really sure where it is coming from. Definitely not coming from the gasket at the base of the tower. There is a rubber plug where the breather hose should be attached, which I'm sure was routed somewhere in the fuel injection system. Obviously, I have weber's, so not sure what to do with the breather connection. Does the plug on the breather tube cause over-pressure in the system, forcing out oil? Any suggestions/solutions would be appreciated. I removed the dip stick for the picture. Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Not_A_Six
post Aug 21 2020, 09:55 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 22,682
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(ghia1974 @ Aug 21 2020, 07:44 PM) *

I'm sure this topic has been discussed in the past, but being a newbie not really sure how to find the specific threads. Anyway, I have oil leaking out of my oil breather, not really sure where it is coming from. Definitely not coming from the gasket at the base of the tower. There is a rubber plug where the breather hose should be attached, which I'm sure was routed somewhere in the fuel injection system. Obviously, I have weber's, so not sure what to do with the breather connection. Does the plug on the breather tube cause over-pressure in the system, forcing out oil? Any suggestions/solutions would be appreciated. I removed the dip stick for the picture.

What year and engine is that? '75? 2.0? Or, is it really a Ghia?

Do you have an anti-flashback valve plumbed to the heads? If not, that plug may be the only way to vent crankcase pressure, and your leak could be caused by over-pressure like you said.
+Quote Post
ghia1974
post Aug 22 2020, 05:22 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 19,033
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I stepped up in class!

It’s a 73 with 1.7.
+Quote Post
Not_A_Six
post Aug 22 2020, 08:26 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 22,682
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(ghia1974 @ Aug 22 2020, 04:22 AM) *

I stepped up in class!

It’s a 73 with 1.7.

I *think* that nipple on the oil filler box should be plumbed to the air filter box on that year/model like Bowlsby's diagram for a '70 1.7 below. But, I'd definitely confirm with someone else.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/bowlsby.net-22682-1598106376.1.jpg)

Good luck.

+Quote Post
brant
post Aug 22 2020, 08:33 AM
Post #5

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

you should remove that plug
your crank case does need to breath, and will cause more leaks (due to internal pressure) if you do not have some type of breather

some guys route that into one of the carb air filters (re burn, like the factory)

others use a bottle or buy a carb breather box.... that allows the case to breath, and a box to catch the small amount of oil that also escapes with the pressure.

+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 22 2020, 02:40 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

The cork gasket under the filler will be where your leak is as mentioned you have no venting.
Attached Image
This is what I did on my last customer build,a bit clumsy looking but functional,tested it disconnected from the carb with engine running and just some fumes nothing else.
Any oil vapour will separate in the breather box and run downwards,the fumes get sucked into the top of the carb.
Use the biggest hose and fittings for max effect (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) .
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 08:36 PM