Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Breather
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ghia1974
I'm sure this topic has been discussed in the past, but being a newbie not really sure how to find the specific threads. Anyway, I have oil leaking out of my oil breather, not really sure where it is coming from. Definitely not coming from the gasket at the base of the tower. There is a rubber plug where the breather hose should be attached, which I'm sure was routed somewhere in the fuel injection system. Obviously, I have weber's, so not sure what to do with the breather connection. Does the plug on the breather tube cause over-pressure in the system, forcing out oil? Any suggestions/solutions would be appreciated. I removed the dip stick for the picture. Click to view attachment
Not_A_Six
QUOTE(ghia1974 @ Aug 21 2020, 07:44 PM) *

I'm sure this topic has been discussed in the past, but being a newbie not really sure how to find the specific threads. Anyway, I have oil leaking out of my oil breather, not really sure where it is coming from. Definitely not coming from the gasket at the base of the tower. There is a rubber plug where the breather hose should be attached, which I'm sure was routed somewhere in the fuel injection system. Obviously, I have weber's, so not sure what to do with the breather connection. Does the plug on the breather tube cause over-pressure in the system, forcing out oil? Any suggestions/solutions would be appreciated. I removed the dip stick for the picture.

What year and engine is that? '75? 2.0? Or, is it really a Ghia?

Do you have an anti-flashback valve plumbed to the heads? If not, that plug may be the only way to vent crankcase pressure, and your leak could be caused by over-pressure like you said.
ghia1974
I stepped up in class!

It’s a 73 with 1.7.
Not_A_Six
QUOTE(ghia1974 @ Aug 22 2020, 04:22 AM) *

I stepped up in class!

It’s a 73 with 1.7.

I *think* that nipple on the oil filler box should be plumbed to the air filter box on that year/model like Bowlsby's diagram for a '70 1.7 below. But, I'd definitely confirm with someone else.

IPB Image

Good luck.

brant
you should remove that plug
your crank case does need to breath, and will cause more leaks (due to internal pressure) if you do not have some type of breather

some guys route that into one of the carb air filters (re burn, like the factory)

others use a bottle or buy a carb breather box.... that allows the case to breath, and a box to catch the small amount of oil that also escapes with the pressure.

porschetub
The cork gasket under the filler will be where your leak is as mentioned you have no venting.
Click to view attachment
This is what I did on my last customer build,a bit clumsy looking but functional,tested it disconnected from the carb with engine running and just some fumes nothing else.
Any oil vapour will separate in the breather box and run downwards,the fumes get sucked into the top of the carb.
Use the biggest hose and fittings for max effect beerchug.gif .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.