Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oil line on a six, hose and valve installed!
johnlush
post Aug 25 2020, 08:50 PM
Post #21

What's all this then?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,108
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

The early lines like yours can be rebuilt as long as the fittings aren't too bunged up. The replacement hose is 22mm ID x 30mm OD and can be sourced from BelMetric and probably other places. If your fittings are toast you can buy new lines or fittings and hose and have them crimped. Wasn't a member here selling sets of new lines? MB911?? I have a Cohline crimper and would be happy to help you if needed.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Aug 26 2020, 04:45 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

Don't discard your original plumbing.
As mentioned they can be rebuilt.
If you chose to rebuild avoid putting a ChannelLock on the aluminum
collars, they are dated and have value with your car. Use a strap wrench or find
someone familiar with these fittings. Some of us on this site have done this.
Crimped style replacement hoses are available.
Removing the tank with the first hose attached is either impossible or a very big
challenge. It's a toss up.
Pictured is a tool to reach into the fender for the first fitting off the tank.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Aug 26 2020, 08:07 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Does the Rothsport valve need to be put into a cut hose or does it have threaded fittings. Mark
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Aug 26 2020, 08:45 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

QUOTE(mlindner @ Aug 26 2020, 07:07 AM) *

Does the Rothsport valve need to be put into a cut hose or does it have threaded fittings. Mark

The rubber hose is cut.
+Quote Post
fixer34
post Aug 26 2020, 08:46 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 17,908

QUOTE(johnlush @ Aug 25 2020, 09:50 PM) *

The early lines like yours can be rebuilt as long as the fittings aren't too bunged up. The replacement hose is 22mm ID x 30mm OD and can be sourced from BelMetric and probably other places. If your fittings are toast you can buy new lines or fittings and hose and have them crimped. Wasn't a member here selling sets of new lines? MB911?? I have a Cohline crimper and would be happy to help you if needed.

Attached Image

Ahh, so that's how they come apart. Nope, not something I want to try on my own. The fittings seem to be in pretty good shape. This curved pipe piece is still attached to the tank and I'm going with the 'if it ain't broke...' for that part. I did clean up the rust around the fitting nut and it seems like it will be fine to reconnect the other piece.
The second picture is what the original objective was/is. (why does swamp and alligators come to mind...)
So if you are willing to tackle it, I would be glad to ship the pieces out to you and pay for time/materials/whatever. If you have a couple short pieces of hose, great, otherwise I'll see if I can find the proper size and send that also.
PeteAttached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
fixer34
post Aug 26 2020, 08:50 AM
Post #26

QUOTE(Krieger @ Aug 26 2020, 09:45 AM) *

The rubber hose is cut.

See my original pictures, and the one I just posted with the line off. On a factory car with heat exchangers, there is really only one place it will fit and that is right next to the oil cooler.
+Quote Post
fixer34
post Aug 26 2020, 08:58 AM
Post #27

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Aug 26 2020, 09:50 AM) *

QUOTE(Krieger @ Aug 26 2020, 09:45 AM) *

The rubber hose is cut.

See my original pictures, and the one I just posted with the line off. On a factory car with heat exchangers, there is really only one place it will fit and that is right next to the oil cooler.

Here's one with the heat exchanger on. The clamp attaches to the heat exchanger there is just enough room for the valve between it and the fitting. The rest of the hose has too tight of a bend to insert the valve.Attached Image
+Quote Post
johnlush
post Aug 26 2020, 10:06 AM
Post #28

What's all this then?

Member No.: 2,108
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I'd be glad to help but honestly if you've gotten this far you can easily do it yourself and get back on the road. Removing the fitting from the collar isn't that difficult. Use a rubber strap wrench to hold the collar and just back out the fitting. Clean up the fittings, measure and cut new hose and put it all back together. I would suggest this hose as it has an abrasion resistant outer layer.

Belmetric Hose

If you really don't want to mess with it let me know and we can work something out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)

John
+Quote Post
fixer34
post Aug 26 2020, 10:39 AM
Post #29

QUOTE(johnlush @ Aug 26 2020, 11:06 AM) *

I'd be glad to help but honestly if you've gotten this far you can easily do it yourself and get back on the road. Removing the fitting from the collar isn't that difficult. Use a rubber strap wrench to hold the collar and just back out the fitting. Clean up the fittings, measure and cut new hose and put it all back together. I would suggest this hose as it has an abrasion resistant outer layer.

Belmetric Hose

If you really don't want to mess with it let me know and we can work something out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)

John

That's the hose I was just looking at, I'll get it ordered. Once I have it, I'll give the collars a try and let you know if I could use your services.
The car hasn't been out in at least 6 months, so another week or 2 isn't a big deal. That's why I'm going thru all this so I can drive it more and not deal with big oil leaks.
Thanks again.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 26 2020, 12:48 PM
Post #30

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Aug 26 2020, 10:46 AM) *

Attached Image

Too me the cooler end is cut a little too close, you want to make sure the two barbs don't touch, I'd want 1/2"-3/4" space between the valve and cohline barb tips.
+Quote Post
fixer34
post Aug 26 2020, 03:05 PM
Post #31

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 26 2020, 01:48 PM) *

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Aug 26 2020, 10:46 AM) *

Attached Image

Too me the cooler end is cut a little too close, you want to make sure the two barbs don't touch, I'd want 1/2"-3/4" space between the valve and cohline barb tips.

Got it. Ordered a meter of hose today so I have some to 'play with'. I'll cut a short piece and mount the valve, then measure, and cut back if needed, the cooler side.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 26 2020, 03:20 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

You have to use a special hose with the reusable fitting,can't remember what its called,hydraulic hose shops will have it.
The alloy outer is course left hand thread ,I used to cut a small chamfer with a sharp blade to help the inner to screw in ,just make sure you put a little oil on both parts and you will be good.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 26 2020, 05:40 PM
Post #33

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

@rgalla9146 Thanks for the tip about the Stoddard wrenches. I just ordered set. Of course I had to toss in a new T-shirt too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 26 2020, 09:10 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 27 2020, 11:40 AM) *

@rgalla9146 Thanks for the tip about the Stoddard wrenches. I just ordered set. Of course I had to toss in a new T-shirt too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Michael you can get one of these made mine works good with my car,you can get the very last of oil left in the tank and it seems to help vent when draining from the case.Attached Image.
Keep enjoying that stunning car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) .
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 27 2020, 05:59 AM
Post #35

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 26 2020, 11:10 PM) *

Michael you can get one of these made mine works good with my car,you can get the very last of oil left in the tank and it seems to help vent when draining from the case.Attached Image.
Keep enjoying that stunning car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) .

Make sure to safety wire. You could loose all your oil in minutes if that bolt gets loose.
+Quote Post
rudedude
post Aug 27 2020, 07:18 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 3,387

I like the wrench for the tank connection. Sure beats replacing the tank 3 times getting the angle correct as i recently did.
+Quote Post
gms
post Aug 27 2020, 08:10 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,785

@fixer34 looks like got it apart?
+Quote Post
fixer34
post Aug 28 2020, 04:21 PM
Post #38

QUOTE(gms @ Aug 27 2020, 09:10 PM) *

@fixer34 looks like got it apart?

Making progress. Yes, your wrenches helped immensely. Put 18" of pipe on each one and that provided enough force to break it loose without damage. Cleaned up the surface rust around the nut, threads all look good and even did a test fit back together. Cut the hose to install the valve, but 50yr old rubber doesn't stretch anymore. So ordered a length of reinforced hose, it came today. Valve goes in much easier, but now I need to remove the cohline fittings and out them on the new hose.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 28 2020, 05:41 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 27 2020, 11:59 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 26 2020, 11:10 PM) *

Make sure to safety wire. You could loose all your oil in minutes if that bolt gets loose.

No need the bung thread is tapered,and has a wee lick of blue Hylamar ...going nowhere,cheers.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 28 2020, 07:36 PM
Post #40

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Where do you get the 30mm to 30mm with drain plug?
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 01:20 AM