Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shift coupler, How tight is yours?
nditiz1
post Sep 1 2020, 11:40 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,763
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

So with my shift rod out and modified for my -6 (Thanks to Ben!) I was checking my coupler for play. I didn't notice any issues before removing the engine/trans, but since it's out I thought I would ensure it's good to go. I have only replaced the bushings once in my 911 and I cannot remember how tight the swivel was post installed. Mine seems very tight (that's what she said), but maybe that is a good thing. Should it be difficult to move by hand, maybe just needs some grease.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Sep 1 2020, 11:46 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

assemble with lithium grease, The 914 shift coupler bushings have a perfectly round hole so no slop, the 911 bushings are slightly slotted for movement, as the engine being in the rear and torquing up would move the shifter in your hand if not for the built in factory slop

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Sep 1 2020, 10:40 AM) *

So with my shift rod out and modified for my -6 (Thanks to Ben!) I was checking my coupler for play. I didn't notice any issues before removing the engine/trans, but since it's out I thought I would ensure it's good to go. I have only replaced the bushings once in my 911 and I cannot remember how tight the swivel was post installed. Mine seems very tight (that's what she said), but maybe that is a good thing. Should it be difficult to move by hand, maybe just needs some grease.

+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Sep 1 2020, 11:52 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 18,763
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Thanks George sounds like everything is in spec. I'll apply some grease.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Sep 1 2020, 12:13 PM
Post #4

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

i have the bronze bushings and its super tight, but moves smoothly when shifting.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 03:34 PM