Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My 914 Restomod
Blown59
post Sep 10 2020, 04:47 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,315
Region Association: None

The new Bilsteins came in today and an hour later, I had this... No more looking like a rally car.
Attached Image Attached Image
If you look at the photos above you can see the color shade difference. It has a beigey undertone to it without being too bold. Porsche hit it out of the park with this color.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sbsix
post Sep 10 2020, 04:58 PM
Post #22

only the lead dog enjoys a change in scenery...

Member No.: 13,990
Region Association: Southern California

Simply stunning. Love your choices especially changing out the silver dot needles on the gauges.
+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post Sep 10 2020, 08:25 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 6,794
Region Association: Southern California

Looks amazing. Great job.
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Sep 10 2020, 10:13 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 13,308
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Great choice on color! Love those Singer combos. Needs a momo prototipo to match.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Sep 10 2020, 10:31 PM
Post #25

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Nice to see a restomod keeping the type 4. The color combo is great and I really like the old school body color bumpers and sail panels.
+Quote Post
Craigers17
post Sep 11 2020, 03:57 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 21,317
Region Association: South East States

That's a beautiful car! Well done sir. As I've stated before, I'm a big fan of the greys. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alien.gif) I also like that Raptor finish on the interior. On a different topic, do you also have a supercharged '59? Pics???
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ibmiked
post Sep 11 2020, 05:40 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 13,198
Region Association: North East States

Amazing choices. Did you consider maybe an RSR finish on the wheels instead of all black? It would 'pop' even more...

Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Sep 11 2020, 05:57 AM
Post #28

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

QUOTE(ibmiked @ Sep 11 2020, 07:40 AM) *

Amazing choices. Did you consider maybe an RSR finish on the wheels instead of all black? It would 'pop' even more...

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) that looks superb! How far out are you on the engine build?
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Sep 11 2020, 05:58 AM
Post #29

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

duplicate post deleted
+Quote Post
ri914
post Sep 11 2020, 07:17 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 24,593
Region Association: North East States

looks really clean,did you do all that work yourself? I really like the color and how clean that car looks! Nice job.
+Quote Post
Blown59
post Sep 11 2020, 08:50 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 23,315
Region Association: None

QUOTE(steuspeed @ Sep 10 2020, 11:13 PM) *

Great choice on color! Love those Singer combos. Needs a momo prototipo to match.

I thought about it... I part of me wants to replace the factory wheel, part of me wants to keep it. The only downside is the Prototipo is its 350mm diameter if I recall correctly. The larger wheel is harder to find and have yet to see a larger diameter wheel come available. If/when it does, and for a reasonable price, Ill get it.

QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Sep 11 2020, 04:57 AM) *

That's a beautiful car! Well done sir. As I've stated before, I'm a big fan of the greys. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alien.gif) I also like that Raptor finish on the interior. On a different topic, do you also have a supercharged '59? Pics???

I do not have a supercharged '59... But I once had a '98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited that was supercharged. There are or were pics of it on Cardomain if that site is still around.

QUOTE(ibmiked @ Sep 11 2020, 06:40 AM) *

Attached Image

Yes, I had thought about it and still am. I wasnt 100% certain I would like it. Part of me thought it would detract from the color and focal point of the body as they would blend too much. It easier (and more cost effective) to turn the black to RSR than to turn RSR to all black. I already have painted sail panels and top, bumpers are (rear will be) painted. I felt the black skirting, wheels, bumper tops, roof, mirrors, horn grilles and hood pin scuff plates in black would be subdued and offset the body. Throw in some orange calipers and graphics for the pop. The terracotta leather interior would be enough to accentuate it. I havent decided yet... but I thought about adding Rennline's track mats. Im sure Ill add or make a few subtle changes as things progress. Such as the mirrors, I love the bullet style look on the car... but they are awful to use. They have a wide range of adjustment, but size prohibits them from being effective where they are placed. So, I need to come up with a new solution. I dont like the factory mirrors or how they look. The style just doesnt work with the design element. Im thinking maybe the Durant, painted a satin black?? TBD...

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 11 2020, 06:57 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) that looks superb! How far out are you on the engine build?

Im collecting some parts now. I want to drive and enjoy the car and I can... I even drove it almost 300 miles home when I bought it. BUT... the valve covers leak and the pushrod tube seals leak directly on the exchangers and the car smokes horribly when stopped. Its kind of an embarrassment not to mention smelling like you have been locked in a 2 cycle closet when your done driving it. SO... now that I have the suspension adjusted, I can pull the engine and get started. While i was thinking of pulling it this weekend. I may just push it off a week or two yet to get in a few short drives. I hate seeing it sit and not being able to enjoy it. I didnt put 500 miles on it before I started tearing it apart. I want to take it to a European car show we have here in St Louis. Normally, the show is in May/June. This year it was postponed and now at the end of Oct. If the fiberglass parts arrive sooner than later, Ill get those pained and installed and can make the show. If I get there plenty early, no patron will know the car smokes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Though, the sooner I pull it, the sooner it wont smoke and will be more of a blast to drive. If the European car show resumes in early summer of 2021, itll be 100% and wont be an embarrassment to start.

QUOTE(ri914 @ Sep 11 2020, 08:17 AM) *

looks really clean,did you do all that work yourself? I really like the color and how clean that car looks! Nice job.

Thank you! Yes, I have done 100% of the work myself (sans the machine work on the axle shaft for the 944 CV) in the little one car garage you see it sitting in. Believe me, there was a lot of griping about space and a few choice words at times. I have an oversized 2 car garage and 4 tool boxes of tools at another house as well as my large air compressor, but its 45 mins from here and I have a tenant in that house now. I actually used a cheap LVLP sprayer and the little pancake compressor you see in the background of one of the pics to do the priming, painting and shooting the bed liner. Yes, it taxed the compressor, but I made it work. I had a makeshift "spray booth" set up in my driveway for a couple of days while I painted the hood, trunk, light covers, doors, etc.
Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image

Tarps were set up on all 4 sides. To protect the house and garage door. I had 24" box fans set up on one side with 24" furnace filters attached front and back to collect and move air out of my "booth"

I even ripped the old black material off the shift knob and used it as a pattern to cut and hand stitch the leather you see on the knob now. I do have someone who will be reupholstering the seats for me though. Thats one project I wont take on.

This forum has been a huge asset during this build process. I have acquired parts from some of the members and picked the brains of others (you guys know who you are and thank you!) As well as some help from Early 911s Registry and a few of its members.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 01:09 PM