Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vertical spare mounts and GT style brackets any interest
mb911
post Sep 15 2020, 09:34 AM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I am looking at having another batch of each laser cut. Any interest from the community for a group buy? Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mb911
post Sep 15 2020, 09:35 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Attached Image
+Quote Post
buck toenges
post Sep 15 2020, 10:27 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,388
Region Association: None

what is the use for the gt brackets?
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Sep 15 2020, 11:50 AM
Post #4

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

@mb911

' date='Sep 15 2020, 08:35 AM' post='2851519']
Attached Image
[/quote]

I tested your GT muffler bracket and it does not work with a stock 2.0 banana muffler.
Dimension are a little off. Your C-C distance on the holes is 2mm too narrow. Part of the problem is that the stock mufflers have a seam that hits your bracket while your muffler are round and seamless.
The curved parts need to be wider to be able to use stock 911 muffler clamps. I think a two or three piece design would be better. I have found variation on the distance from the trans to the muffler. One U shaped part bolts to the trans and two separate parts bolt to the muffler. slotted holes would allow adjustment. I also tried it with a Scart muffler and it did not quite work there fr the same reasons. It had new SSI's which have thicker flanges than old SSi's or stock HE's. We even had trouble installing e stock 2.0 muffler hanger.

If my explanation is not clear I can draw up my ideas. But the GT type bracket is much better to directly support the muffler to the tail cone.

If you do not have access to a 2.0 trans engine setup I can test fit it and provide feedback.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914werke
post Sep 15 2020, 12:07 PM
Post #5

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

to be clear Bruce you included the pic of the spare tire mnt. but are talking about the Muffler hanger.
I had also been curious if that mount could be used with a OE banana or a 911 muffler that was intended to use bands to affix it.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 15 2020, 12:14 PM
Post #6

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

[quote name='bdstone914' date='Sep 15 2020, 01:50 PM' post='2851557']
@mb911

Attached Image
[/quote]

I tested your GT muffler bracket and it does not work with a stock 2.0 banana muffler.
Dimension are a little off. Your C-C distance on the holes is 2mm too narrow. Part of the problem is that the stock mufflers have a seam that hits your bracket while your muffler are round and seamless.
The curved parts need to be wider to be able to use stock 911 muffler clamps. I think a two or three piece design would be better. I have found variation on the distance from the trans to the muffler. One U shaped part bolts to the trans and two separate parts bolt to the muffler. slotted holes would allow adjustment. I also tried it with a Scart muffler and it did not quite work there fr the same reasons. It had new SSI's which have thicker flanges than old SSi's or stock HE's. We even had trouble installing e stock 2.0 muffler hanger.

If my explanation is not clear I can draw up my ideas. But the GT type bracket is much better to directly support the muffler to the tail cone.

If you do not have access to a 2.0 trans engine setup I can test fit it and provide feedback.
[/quote]

Bruce - when I sold the bracket to you I told you it was designed to support Ben’s stainless steel mufflers. You told me you wanted to try it on the scart muffler but we agreed it might not fit correctly and the seam on a stock muffler would definitely not fit on the bracket without modification.

Our hardware kit comes with the correct size stainless bands to support the muffler. While it’s true that a different bracket could be made to fit other mufflers, this one was designed as an affordable recreation of the GT bracket and fits all the 914-6werkshop mufflers perfectly.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 15 2020, 12:18 PM
Post #7

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(buck toenges @ Sep 15 2020, 12:27 PM) *

what is the use for the gt brackets?

To fit the 914-6werkshop mufflers.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mb911
post Sep 15 2020, 03:04 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

I am having some laser cut that will be clearanced a bit more so no issues with the studs.. Part of the problem is the most recent ones were plasma cut thus the dross and accuracy was a bit of an issue. Moving forward they are all going to be laser cut.

To be clear they are designed to work with mu mufflers with the constant tension stainless band clamps from McMaster.com. never ever have I suggested or used the 911 clamps which are wider then the 3/4" clamps from McMaster.com.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Sep 15 2020, 03:34 PM
Post #9

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

Just for reference the GT quick release muffler clamps are 1" wide, but Im not clear what
the issue would be if a customer of yours chose to use those clamps (or the OE 911 clamps) instead?
+Quote Post
mb911
post Sep 15 2020, 04:17 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

QUOTE(914werke @ Sep 15 2020, 01:34 PM) *

Just for reference the GT quick release muffler clamps are 1" wide, but Im not clear what
the issue would be if a customer of yours chose to use those clamps (or the OE 911 clamps) instead?

Not really anything.. I just made a system that worked together.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Sep 15 2020, 04:56 PM
Post #11

bdstone914

[quote name='mepstein' date='Sep 15 2020, 11:14 AM' post='2851564']
@mb911

Attached Image
[/quote]

[/quote]

Bruce - when I sold the bracket to you I told you it was designed to support Ben’s stainless steel mufflers. You told me you wanted to try it on the scart muffler but we agreed it might not fit correctly and the seam on a stock muffler would definitely not fit on the bracket without modification.

Our hardware kit comes with the correct size stainless bands to support the muffler. While it’s true that a different bracket could be made to fit other mufflers, this one was designed as an affordable recreation of the GT bracket and fits all the 914-6werkshop mufflers perfectly.
[/quote]

Mark,
Understood that it was sold as and not intended to work with stock mufflers.
But the market will be for stock type mufflers and 911 mufflers on a six.
If Ben is to make a run as is they only work with his mufflers. Slight changes would make it more universal and a better product.
The AA 2.0l bracket sell for $50 and is unpainted. Ben's is better and cheaper. I like the 911 muffler clamps as they are wider and an oe part.
It was not meant to be critical of the part but suggestive on how to make it better.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Sep 15 2020, 05:11 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

[quote name='bdstone914' date='Sep 15 2020, 02:56 PM' post='2851614']
[quote name='mepstein' date='Sep 15 2020, 11:14 AM' post='2851564']
@mb911

Attached Image
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Mark,
Understood that it was sold as and not intended to work with stock mufflers.
But the market will be for stock type mufflers and 911 mufflers on a six.
If Ben is to make a run as is they only work with his mufflers. Slight changes would make it more universal and a better product.
The AA 2.0l bracket sell for $50 and is unpainted. Ben's is better and cheaper. I like the 911 muffler clamps as they are wider and an oe part.
It was not meant to be critical of the part but suggestive on how to make it better.
[/quote]

Ah makes sense.. Definitely an option.. The 911 straps are pretty expensive though I believe?
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Sep 15 2020, 05:19 PM
Post #13

bdstone914

@914werke
date='Sep 15 2020, 11:07 AM' post='2851560']
to be clear Bruce you included the pic of the spare tire mnt. but are talking about the Muffler hanger.
I had also been curious if that mount could be used with a OE banana or a 911 muffler that was intended to use bands to affix it.
[/quote]

I replied to the thread worh the picture in it. I could not figure out what the part was.
The 911 muffler band is wider than the bracket. It needs to be horizontally adjustable

@buck toenges

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mb911
post Sep 18 2020, 10:21 AM
Post #14

914 Guru

Ok had 100 GT brackets cut with some small mods to work a bit more like Bruce suggested. They will be available separately from multiple vendors. I did find 9 spare tire mounts that I had cut a while ago so if anyone needs one let me know.. If they go well then I will have 100 laser cut.

Let me know what people need

+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Sep 18 2020, 09:37 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

On the muffler bracket, if your next batch is modified for the banana muffler, could it be used on a /4? If so, is there a benefit over the stock bracket, or it would be a new replacement option?

I fully understand this bracket was originally developed for the muffler you make. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
cary
post Sep 18 2020, 10:19 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608

QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 18 2020, 09:21 AM) *

Ok had 100 GT brackets cut with some small mods to work a bit more like Bruce suggested. They will be available separately from multiple vendors. I did find 9 spare tire mounts that I had cut a while ago so if anyone needs one let me know.. If they go well then I will have 100 laser cut.

Let me know what people need

Ben I need 2 spare mounts. So can I take 3 of the 9 ?
+Quote Post
wes
post Sep 18 2020, 10:25 PM
Post #17

wes

Member No.: 8,436
Region Association: Northern California

I’m in for the vertical spare tire mount.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Sep 19 2020, 05:57 AM
Post #18

914 Guru

@cary ,

They need to be bent up yet unless you want to bend them I could sell you 3 for 14each.

Bent up mounts were $25 plus shipping
+Quote Post
cary
post Sep 19 2020, 08:28 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608

flat is fine .............
+Quote Post
a71914
post Sep 19 2020, 08:36 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 1,171
Region Association: North East States

I would like a "properly bent" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) spare tire mount.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 07:42 AM