Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vertical spare mounts and GT style brackets any interest
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
I am looking at having another batch of each laser cut. Any interest from the community for a group buy? Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
buck toenges
what is the use for the gt brackets?
bdstone914
@mb911

' date='Sep 15 2020, 08:35 AM' post='2851519']
Click to view attachment
[/quote]

I tested your GT muffler bracket and it does not work with a stock 2.0 banana muffler.
Dimension are a little off. Your C-C distance on the holes is 2mm too narrow. Part of the problem is that the stock mufflers have a seam that hits your bracket while your muffler are round and seamless.
The curved parts need to be wider to be able to use stock 911 muffler clamps. I think a two or three piece design would be better. I have found variation on the distance from the trans to the muffler. One U shaped part bolts to the trans and two separate parts bolt to the muffler. slotted holes would allow adjustment. I also tried it with a Scart muffler and it did not quite work there fr the same reasons. It had new SSI's which have thicker flanges than old SSi's or stock HE's. We even had trouble installing e stock 2.0 muffler hanger.

If my explanation is not clear I can draw up my ideas. But the GT type bracket is much better to directly support the muffler to the tail cone.

If you do not have access to a 2.0 trans engine setup I can test fit it and provide feedback.
914werke
to be clear Bruce you included the pic of the spare tire mnt. but are talking about the Muffler hanger.
I had also been curious if that mount could be used with a OE banana or a 911 muffler that was intended to use bands to affix it.
mepstein
[quote name='bdstone914' date='Sep 15 2020, 01:50 PM' post='2851557']
@mb911

Click to view attachment
[/quote]

I tested your GT muffler bracket and it does not work with a stock 2.0 banana muffler.
Dimension are a little off. Your C-C distance on the holes is 2mm too narrow. Part of the problem is that the stock mufflers have a seam that hits your bracket while your muffler are round and seamless.
The curved parts need to be wider to be able to use stock 911 muffler clamps. I think a two or three piece design would be better. I have found variation on the distance from the trans to the muffler. One U shaped part bolts to the trans and two separate parts bolt to the muffler. slotted holes would allow adjustment. I also tried it with a Scart muffler and it did not quite work there fr the same reasons. It had new SSI's which have thicker flanges than old SSi's or stock HE's. We even had trouble installing e stock 2.0 muffler hanger.

If my explanation is not clear I can draw up my ideas. But the GT type bracket is much better to directly support the muffler to the tail cone.

If you do not have access to a 2.0 trans engine setup I can test fit it and provide feedback.
[/quote]

Bruce - when I sold the bracket to you I told you it was designed to support Ben’s stainless steel mufflers. You told me you wanted to try it on the scart muffler but we agreed it might not fit correctly and the seam on a stock muffler would definitely not fit on the bracket without modification.

Our hardware kit comes with the correct size stainless bands to support the muffler. While it’s true that a different bracket could be made to fit other mufflers, this one was designed as an affordable recreation of the GT bracket and fits all the 914-6werkshop mufflers perfectly.
mepstein
QUOTE(buck toenges @ Sep 15 2020, 12:27 PM) *

what is the use for the gt brackets?

To fit the 914-6werkshop mufflers.

mb911
I am having some laser cut that will be clearanced a bit more so no issues with the studs.. Part of the problem is the most recent ones were plasma cut thus the dross and accuracy was a bit of an issue. Moving forward they are all going to be laser cut.

To be clear they are designed to work with mu mufflers with the constant tension stainless band clamps from McMaster.com. never ever have I suggested or used the 911 clamps which are wider then the 3/4" clamps from McMaster.com.
914werke
Just for reference the GT quick release muffler clamps are 1" wide, but Im not clear what
the issue would be if a customer of yours chose to use those clamps (or the OE 911 clamps) instead?
mb911
QUOTE(914werke @ Sep 15 2020, 01:34 PM) *

Just for reference the GT quick release muffler clamps are 1" wide, but Im not clear what
the issue would be if a customer of yours chose to use those clamps (or the OE 911 clamps) instead?

Not really anything.. I just made a system that worked together.
bdstone914
[quote name='mepstein' date='Sep 15 2020, 11:14 AM' post='2851564']
@mb911

Click to view attachment
[/quote]

[/quote]

Bruce - when I sold the bracket to you I told you it was designed to support Ben’s stainless steel mufflers. You told me you wanted to try it on the scart muffler but we agreed it might not fit correctly and the seam on a stock muffler would definitely not fit on the bracket without modification.

Our hardware kit comes with the correct size stainless bands to support the muffler. While it’s true that a different bracket could be made to fit other mufflers, this one was designed as an affordable recreation of the GT bracket and fits all the 914-6werkshop mufflers perfectly.
[/quote]

Mark,
Understood that it was sold as and not intended to work with stock mufflers.
But the market will be for stock type mufflers and 911 mufflers on a six.
If Ben is to make a run as is they only work with his mufflers. Slight changes would make it more universal and a better product.
The AA 2.0l bracket sell for $50 and is unpainted. Ben's is better and cheaper. I like the 911 muffler clamps as they are wider and an oe part.
It was not meant to be critical of the part but suggestive on how to make it better.
mb911
[quote name='bdstone914' date='Sep 15 2020, 02:56 PM' post='2851614']
[quote name='mepstein' date='Sep 15 2020, 11:14 AM' post='2851564']
@mb911

Click to view attachment
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Mark,
Understood that it was sold as and not intended to work with stock mufflers.
But the market will be for stock type mufflers and 911 mufflers on a six.
If Ben is to make a run as is they only work with his mufflers. Slight changes would make it more universal and a better product.
The AA 2.0l bracket sell for $50 and is unpainted. Ben's is better and cheaper. I like the 911 muffler clamps as they are wider and an oe part.
It was not meant to be critical of the part but suggestive on how to make it better.
[/quote]

Ah makes sense.. Definitely an option.. The 911 straps are pretty expensive though I believe?
bdstone914
@914werke
date='Sep 15 2020, 11:07 AM' post='2851560']
to be clear Bruce you included the pic of the spare tire mnt. but are talking about the Muffler hanger.
I had also been curious if that mount could be used with a OE banana or a 911 muffler that was intended to use bands to affix it.
[/quote]

I replied to the thread worh the picture in it. I could not figure out what the part was.
The 911 muffler band is wider than the bracket. It needs to be horizontally adjustable

@buck toenges
mb911
Ok had 100 GT brackets cut with some small mods to work a bit more like Bruce suggested. They will be available separately from multiple vendors. I did find 9 spare tire mounts that I had cut a while ago so if anyone needs one let me know.. If they go well then I will have 100 laser cut.

Let me know what people need

Montreal914
On the muffler bracket, if your next batch is modified for the banana muffler, could it be used on a /4? If so, is there a benefit over the stock bracket, or it would be a new replacement option?

I fully understand this bracket was originally developed for the muffler you make. beerchug.gif
cary
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 18 2020, 09:21 AM) *

Ok had 100 GT brackets cut with some small mods to work a bit more like Bruce suggested. They will be available separately from multiple vendors. I did find 9 spare tire mounts that I had cut a while ago so if anyone needs one let me know.. If they go well then I will have 100 laser cut.

Let me know what people need

Ben I need 2 spare mounts. So can I take 3 of the 9 ?
wes
I’m in for the vertical spare tire mount.
mb911
@cary ,

They need to be bent up yet unless you want to bend them I could sell you 3 for 14each.

Bent up mounts were $25 plus shipping
cary
flat is fine .............
a71914
I would like a "properly bent" smash.gif spare tire mount.
mb911

Ok everyone that wants one please PM your details and I can create a pay pal invoice.. No friends and family please as I will not keep all the addresses straight.. I will also be adding this to the member section and classifieds.. I will have 100 GT brackets ready by the end of the week.
mb911
Update .. I have 50 powdercoated at no additional cost. I will offer each bracket at $40 shipped with no clamps. @bdstone914 these are the wider flanged mounts with toleranced bolting slots..

If anyone wants multiple mounts I will sell each additional bracket being shipped the same location for $30 each..
mb911
Click to view attachment
mb911
Still have plenty of everything here. Let me know if you need anything.
mb911
Anyone need any vertical mounts for their spare? I might make another run of these
seanpaulmc
I’d take one of the spare tire mounts, Ben.
Morrie
I'd be in for one also.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.