Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Gives?, My Build Date From Porsche Seems To Be Wrong
Jim C
post Sep 18 2020, 01:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,294
Region Association: Southwest Region

When I bought my 1976 914 the VIN sticker was gone. I calculated the build date as last week in November 1975. When I received my COA from Porsche it listed a build date of 12/75. Figured I made a mistake. Had a new VIN sticker made with 12/75 build date. Perusing the VINs on the site here today, I noticed there were many cars with later VINs that showed build dates of 11/75. Are the COA's not to be trusted? What's the explanation for the discrepancy?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
davep
post Sep 18 2020, 07:30 PM
Post #2

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Jim C @ Sep 18 2020, 11:55 AM) *
Are the COA's not to be trusted? What's the explanation for the discrepancy?

What is your Karmann chassis # on the paint code plate?
This is the date that the body was completed. Then it could sit for a short while until final assembly. At that point it will get the Compliance decal with a build date. I find this date the best indication of final assembly completion. Usually, the date provided on a CoA is an invoice date or date of retail sale. Thus one can rarely use CoA or even Kardex dates as a completion date. The big issue here is there is a disconnect between manufacturing and sales departments. You want a manufacturing date, but you can only talk to the sales department, and they can only consult their records and not manufacturing records.
So, can you trust a PCNA CoA? The answer really is "sort of". Engine # & paint code will be correct. Interior? Well that depends on if they provide the code and a full description. The 1x codes are black leatherette, but 11 is black leatherette with basketweave seat inserts; so if it does not spell out the seat insert type, then the CoA is not accurate. Transmission? My data source says that no 914 had the transmission serial # recorded. Options? Again it would be best if the CoA had both code and a descent description. But dates, can only be used as a "no later than" date.

The pseudo-CoA Reports that I make up have as much detail as I can get, and some of that depends on the information that I can get from the owner.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Sep 20 2020, 09:41 AM
Post #3

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The build date for my LE is February 21st, 1974. The doorjamb sticker says February 74. My COA says March of 74 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
davep
post Sep 20 2020, 08:51 PM
Post #4

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

Built and completed before the end of the month, and shipped out the next month.
A lot of CoA's show the completion date as the first of the month. The real case is that they were shipped out some time during that month.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 07:54 AM