Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Center Tunnel Brake Line, To replace or not
Howie's 914
post Sep 23 2020, 03:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,273

I just received the hard brake line kit from AA. It comes with the Center Tunnel line. I am thinking of replacing that also. Has anyone else done this? How is the best way without cutting into the metal.

Thank you
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
FL000
post Mar 13 2021, 08:46 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 14,076
Region Association: Southern California

Getting ready to do this myself and wondering what is involved? I nicked my line with a drill, and although it is not leaking I want to swap it out for peace of mind. Have my replacement line already, and engine is removed from vehicle.

Assuming you can just pull it out directly from the rear firewall? My plan is to depress the pedal a bit to prevent the reservoir from draining, relieve pressure from a rear caliper, then take the line off, replace, bleed brakes. Howie or others can you confirm this is all it takes?

Thanks,
Josh
+Quote Post
9146C
post Mar 13 2021, 09:11 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 23,460
Region Association: None

Not a difficult job. The center tunnel brake line is actually two parts...with a connector under the rear tunnel inspection port.

I was able to replace mine without any help...it was advisable to have someone in the car to "snake" the line toward the passenger side of the tunnel...was no issue for me.

At the time, I had my front suspension and steering rack removed when I fed the new line in from the front...not sure how big a difference that was.

The smaller rear brake line was a little trickier based on the bends in the line.

Overall. about a 2 hour job.
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Mar 13 2021, 08:54 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

^^ I agree, not a hard job. (Easy for me to say, since I had no engine or front suspension and steering on the tub when I did it.). But you should be able to sneak the longer piece in from the front or rear, and then mate it with the rear piece at the open hatch.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:53 PM