Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914 Restomod and Heavy Heart... I'm torn...
Blown59
post Sep 23 2020, 07:05 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,315
Region Association: None

I dont even know where to begin...

I just recently completed my first "major" restomod or refurbishmod and while I did a LOT of work, it may not be to the level that some of you guys have done. (some of you guys do an incredible job and mine pales in comparison) But this is a car built the way I wanted it. While its not 100% complete to my liking, (still wanted to recover my seats and rebuild the engine this winter) it is to a driveable state now. The engine does leak some oil on the heat exchangers because the pushrod seals leak as do the valve cover gaskets, I havent worried about fixing them since I planned on my winter rebuild.

Here is where things are getting difficult for me, I feel as if I'm at an impasse... A couple of other P cars have presented themselves to me, one of which is another 914 , that I dont want to pass up on.

My dilemma is to sell this current build as is without building the 2270 and keeping the new 914 I'm about to acquire... Or resell the one ive committed to purchase. Unfortunately, I dont have the room for them both. The ability to store one of them at this time or even within the near future is also out of the question. I also feel as if I'm having withdrawls, not having a "project" to work on. I really enjoyed this one and want to dig into another. It's almost become an addiction for me now that ive undertaken something of this sort already.

So, this leads me to realize selling my restomod may be something I have to seriously consider.

Being that the car was built for me and my liking, I'm not sure how much interest there is in it. Also, because it is more of a restomod, what kind of value would the 914 community place on this?

The floor pans were stripped to bare metal on the interior side. Steel flares welded in. Car sprayed in epoxy. Interior, underside, front and fenderwells coated with U-Pol Raptor Liner. Highbuild primer and base/clear applied. Engine compartment not yet refinished. Front suspension rebuilt and coated with Por15, all new bushings, turbo tierods. Struts/hubs from 911t have been refurbished/painted. New inserts and new bearings installed. Front M calipers have been rebuilt with new pistons and rebuild kit. Steering rack cleaned and refurbished, new puck, lube, etc. Traling arms removed and stripped and coated with Por15, 914 inner CVs rebuilt, outer 944 CVs, boxter hubs, with 916 rotors. New rear Bilstein struts with new 100lb 916 springs installed. Entire shift assembly removed, cleaned/stripped/repainted and lubes. All new shifter/linkage bushings/guides replaced. Headlight assemblies replaced with a gently used (almost NOS 911 bits). H4 housings with LED bulbs. Gauges have LED bulbs as well. New clear signal lenses. All Gaskets/rubber replaced with 914 rubber parts (Doors, targa, trunks front/rear). New windshield and trim. Seatbelts disassembled/cleaned and now properly retract. Custom fiberglass leather covered center console. Any part/bolt needing replaced was. Anything worth salvaging or in good usable condition was kept.
Rear trunk lock removed and covered with a flat emblem trunk straps installed in homage to GT cars. Front trunk cable removed along with factory latch lock. Hood release kept and used in conjunction with a fabricated latch catch as safety measure. Front hood has 4 traditional hood pins in respective locations.

I'm sure there is more that is "slipping my mind" at the moment, but these are some of the main things I can recall at the moment.
Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image[attachmentid=762
765]Attached Image

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 06:34 PM