Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> how to fight a ticket in NJ
i love porsche
post Jul 13 2005, 05:37 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,030
Region Association: North East States

i got a freaking speeding ticket yesterday for 40 in a 25....

first off..id like to say that my spedometer said 38, there is a difference...

right now i cant really afford a ticket because of insurance...so does anyone have any experience about this?

what happened:

driving home from work, person in front of me is driving like a blind old man...so once he makes a left i ping it just a tad (i am not an unsafe driver, i dont speed often) so i get up to around 40..but definetly not at it or over. i see a sign that says 25...so i begin to brake and like almost right after is a cop in a driveway...once i saw him i pulled over...because i just knew it...he pulled up behind me and asked for my license and whatever...

the thing is..he never stated to me why i was pulled over or anything....didnt even tell me how fast i was going, i had to find out from the ticket.

do you think i can fight this reasonably? and have a chance of getting it dropped or reduced...its pretty important

thanks for the help
Aaron
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Jul 13 2005, 05:53 PM
Post #2

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481
Region Association: None

Here in Nevada, if you get a speeding ticket (or any other moving violation) you can go to traffic school. They cut the fine in half, reduce the ticket to a parking citation, plus you do not get the points on your record. Note: you can only do this once per year.

You might want to check to see if New Jersey has a similar program.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jul 13 2005, 06:01 PM
Post #3

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE (i love porsche @ Jul 13 2005, 07:37 PM)
...once i saw him i pulled over...because i just knew it...he pulled up behind me and asked for my license and whatever...

the thing is..he never stated to me why i was pulled over or anything....

find the American Motorists Association (i think it is do a search here on speeding and it'll turn up i suspect...). they have a kit for this purpose. donno if they'll cover you retroactively...

HOW important? REALLY important? hire an attorney.

did the cop turn on his lights?
if not, you certainly acted as if you were admitting guilt...
he mightta just been hoping you'd slow down and be safe, but if you pull over and ask for it, he kinda hasta do it...

i wouldn't put much faith in the "only 13 over the limit" defence strategy.
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Jul 13 2005, 06:14 PM
Post #4

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

i had a few friends that pleaded not-guilty due to a mechanical failure......

after all, it's a 914......

what i would have done was put on my foil hat and as he comes to the door and hand a foil hat to him and say "I'm hauling weapons-grade plutonium, you might want to put this on...."
+Quote Post
TimT
post Jul 13 2005, 06:21 PM
Post #5

retired

Member No.: 313

So you are going to argue a 2 mph discrepancy?

You have stated you were doing 38, which is quite a bit above the 25MP limit..

ALL of us drive over the limit..

sometimes you get to pay for the privilege.

of course I will get flak inre my view...nomex on LOL

+Quote Post
larryp
post Jul 13 2005, 06:26 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 675

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) Hire an attorney. S/he will make a deal of some sort with the prosecutor.

Other than that, you have no hope whatsoever.
+Quote Post
jet1
post Jul 13 2005, 06:28 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,213

Plead not-guilty. If it's your first ticket, then they often let you off on a lesser offense that will not affect your insurance. the only thing is you have to show up in court.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 13 2005, 06:49 PM
Post #8

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Ha! Your screwed. Sorry. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
MecGen
post Jul 13 2005, 08:01 PM
Post #9

8 Easy Steps

Member No.: 3,421

First and formost
Make you contestation application before the deadline, bring it in and have it dated. This will give you 30 days at least to reserch it, and deside what to do, if the fees are not too steep, you can alway change your plee to GUilty after. at the same time you can plead for an easier penalty...That how it works here...
Other then that you need an Atty (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)

Good luck
Later
Joe

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Dead Air
post Jul 13 2005, 08:14 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 2,042

You don't need an attorney.
Plead not guilty, go to the DA,
ask him to reduce it to non moving violation.
Pay the fine.

Also, sounds like a speed trap to me, yeah, no shit!
Figure out if you were in a school zone, etc.
If it was 25 MPH zone just begining, I think you have a certain number of feet to decel...
Trying to google search NJ law title 39
It won't OPEN! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/stromberg.gif)
+Quote Post
Dead Air
post Jul 13 2005, 08:23 PM
Post #11

slowest web page in history (nj traffic law)

I'm serious! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
nickg
post Jul 13 2005, 08:23 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 2,652

QUOTE (Dave Eddy @ Jul 13 2005, 06:14 PM)
You don't need an attorney.
Plead not guilty, go to the DA,
ask him to reduce it to non moving violation.
Pay the fine.

Also, sounds like a speed trap to me, yeah, no shit!
Figure out if you were in a school zone, etc.
If it was 25 MPH zone just begining, I think you have a certain number of feet to decel...
Trying to google search NJ law title 39
It won't OPEN! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/stromberg.gif)

this is correct save the sign bit...unless there are 2 signs in succession...plead not guilty, be real nice (i hope you were as you got the summons) make an appointment to see the officer (or prosecuter if they are using one) speak to him and be very nice and respectful, explain that the speedo in the car bounces...it is an old car and basically ask to reduce the charge to creating a traffic disturbance, it carries no points but will cost like $250 to pay, if you are a new driver (less than a year) you are gonna most likely lose your liscense on the probationary driver deal....your insurance is likely to double and even likely triple if you are under 20. Be cool and explain this to the officer and he will usually make a deal for you, remember, he was just doing his job, just like you do yours, most cops are pretty cool about reducing these now in nj. aside from that good luck
+Quote Post
i love porsche
post Jul 13 2005, 09:10 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 2,030

you guys are telling me to plead not guilty..but ive heard from others to plead guilty and ask for a break or a deal or a reduction of some sort... i was in my 924, and i have had my license going on 2 years this september.

of course i was very respectful to the cop and will be at court....i just dont want my insurance to go crazy

i know that i can take a defensive driving course, and that will take 2 points off and lower insurance..but the thing is, the difference between 13 and 15 mph is 2 points...and id wrather not have that spare two points...this is also my first offense
+Quote Post
Dead Air
post Jul 13 2005, 09:40 PM
Post #14

Plead not guilty and (respectfully) ask for a break.
If you plead guilty, you're guilty! why would you get a break?
You're asking for the offense to be REDUCED. and you plead guilty to that!
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Jul 13 2005, 09:48 PM
Post #15

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

okay barrow a gps and take the car for drive to check the speedo, if it is off in your favor you can get it calibrated and bring the paper from the calibration to court . then you say not guilty my speedo was off and here is proof, they will drop the by that amount ie: if it is off by 3 they will lower it by 3

now not that i would condon this but if you can figure out how to throw the speedo off before you get it calibrated you can get away with more

ways to affect the speedo

tire size
internal adjustments

then there are some not so nice ways of beating it. like cut down the sign and video tape the drive from the last sign that shows 30 ...showing there was not a new sign saying 25 but only the last one you passed ... or just go swap signs and bring a pic with the new one in place (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif)

you can also argue that you were passing a slower car, most states allow you to speed if you are passing a car... at least for a few seconds
+Quote Post
jet1
post Jul 13 2005, 09:59 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 2,213

In most cases around here(NY/NJ), if you plead not-guilty and it's your first offense, all you have to do is show up in court and they will reduce the charge to one that will not affect your insurance. You don't have to ask for it or plead your case. when you show up to court, an officer will pull you aside and ask you if you will plead guilty to a lesser offense. then you have to pay a fine and your out of there. It's a PITA, but worth it because of the insurance rates in NJ. This is what I went thru a few years ago.
+Quote Post
D1A3
post Jul 13 2005, 10:06 PM
Post #17

Gruppe Neun Vierzehn Südosten

Member No.: 2,152
Region Association: South East States

Check to see if you can plead "no-lo." The rules vary widely on this from state to state...

I got tagged earlier this year for 92 in a 55. I called one of these "800" numbers I found in the phone book and a lawyer told me he coudl negotiate a reduction or I coudl plead "No-Lo." Since I was 37 over, I figured a reduction was not likely and went to court. When I got there, I asked the ticketing officer to reduce the ticket before being called to the bench, he said he coudl not based on my speed. I had no choice but to plead "no-lo" to the judge.

Basically, no-lo means you are claiming netiher guilt or innocense, instead placing yourself on the mercy of the court. In Georgia, you can plead no-lo every 5 years. The result is that you pay the full fine, but there are no points assessed or your insurance notified. You also cannot get another ticket for some period, I think 1 year. In my case, the ticket was $350. Of course things would have been VERY different if I had NOT been cited for speeding, but instead cited for something more severe like "careless/wreckless driving."

Not sure what Jersey has now since I have not lived ther for the last 20 years, but I woudl look into the no-lo plea if you're unable to reach a deal before hand. Worst case, hire an attorney and let them do all of this for you. It will cost you about $500-700 + fines, but you will (hopefully) get it reduced or even dropped and perhaps not even have to go to court.

BTW: If Jersey accepts a no-lo plea, and you go to court, they may not even announce it as a possible plea. They usually just ask if you plead guilty or not guilty, so you will need to find out ahead of time if this is applicable. Some states offer the drivers course aas noted above and I have done that in Florida.

Good Luck!

--Jason
+Quote Post
type11969
post Jul 14 2005, 11:17 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 1,410

Also, if you have the option, set the court date for a very inconveinent time . . . that way the police officer might not be inclined to go. No ticketing officer present, no penalties for you. Maybe set it for the day after labor day at 7:00 AM. Could be a rough drive back from the Jersey shore if the officer is partying down there like most of the rest of Jersey will be that weekend.
+Quote Post
larryp
post Jul 14 2005, 11:36 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 675

The disinformation here is wonderful. Guys, it is not an intentional offense, ergo your prior knowledge of your speed is irrelevant. So don't bother arguing the speedo is off. Don't even think of cutting down the speed limit sign. As for "getting your first ticket free" that is up to the capriciousness of the judge, so I wouldn't go counting on that. As for "it's OK to speed if you are passing" that is incorrect and in any event, he was in a 25 mph zone which i think we can safely say is residential. The ticket was, in fact, 60% over the limit. Oh, how much distance do you have to slow down after passing the sign? none. Zero, zip, nada.

"no-lo" (nolo contendre) is going to get you nowhere. it is used where you wish to dispose of a matter without making an admission that can be used in another proceeding. It would be helpful, here, if while speeding you also ran over some pedestrian.

You can get a ticket dismissed if you do not get a court date set within a reasonable amount of time. You asking for deferral does not count. Oh, pleading guilty and asking for lenience? Let me know when the date is, I want to watch. Pleading not guilty? Ditto.

Hey, for shits and grins go ahead and plea out, then make an overpayment of the fine by check. The urban legend is that since the payment is wrong, the conviction "cannot" be entered into the DMV computer. Let me know how that one works out too.

You MIGHT be able to work out a deal with the prosecutor yourself but i seriously doubt it given the thread. If this is important to you, just hire the lawyer. It will NOT cost the 600 quoted earlier. It will cost you though, since one way or another the state is going to make you pay for this. Pay either them or the lawyer, it's your call.
+Quote Post
type11969
post Jul 14 2005, 11:55 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 1,410

If the officer does not show up, no penalties.

Since it is a first offense, I do not think you will have a problem getting the penalty switched to a greater fine and no points. You may need a lawyer for this. I've heard of it happening many times.

-Chris
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 07:00 AM