Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Correct finish for a steelie lug bolt
doug_b_928
post Oct 10 2020, 06:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,382
Region Association: Canada

Does anyone know the correct original finish for a steelie lug bolt? I know the alloy lug bolt was silver. I see in post #1 of this thread (http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=74857) a restored car with steelies with the lug bolts in yellow chromate. My originals looked to have been black, but could have been painted. So, when new did they come with yellow chromate/cadmium; black chromate, or blue chromate (silver)?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
davep
post Oct 10 2020, 07:20 PM
Post #2

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244

AFAIK, the wheel bolts for steel wheels were silver. I just finished stripping 3 sets down to bare metal. My guess is that they were cadmium plated like the alloy wheel bolts. Unlike the alloy wheel bolts, there was no trace of copper plating. I have four sets of alloy wheel bolts, and they all have traces of copper plating on the steel. Whereas the wheel bolts for steel wheels were marked VW on the heads, the alloy wheel bolts were marked VW on the threaded end, and also marked with a K & X. There is very little room for the marks, and the ends are generally not fully flat, so I believe the K & X are short for Kamax; a common supplier for bolts. There are two versions I have seen, the K & X in large and small fonts. I am able to get these cad plated locally, so am gathering sets to be done in a single lot.
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Oct 10 2020, 08:10 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,382

Thanks, Dave. I medial blasted the originals from my car today. I have two that are shorter (.75" of threads) that I think you had said were probably from a bug, and the rest were the correct length (1" of threads). The correct ones do, indeed, have a VW logo on the head. The shorter ones that are presumably from a bug say "HWE" and have the VW logo (see attached pics below).

So, based on your having just stripped 3 original sets of steelie bolts, your conclusion that the should be finished in silver seems strong. My plan will be to zinc plate them and then use a blue chromate which should give me a fairly similar finish to silver cad.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
davep
post Oct 10 2020, 08:48 PM
Post #4

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244

Yes, Zinc plating should be okay. They need to be baked right after plating to eliminate hydrogen embrittlement. This is critical for a stressed fastener, especially wheel bolts.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 03:58 PM