Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Update to Paul Illick's (DBCooper) Subaru powered 914
BuzzKill
post Oct 11 2020, 12:33 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,170
Region Association: None

This thread will be dedicated to my father's 914 build. Some of you may remember DBCooper and his car, and that he passed away in 2017. His first name was Paul, but he went by his middle name Steve.

I am his younger son and I've inherited the car. For the past couple of years it's been tucked away in my garage. I haven't felt that I've "owned" the car because it's almost like I've been waiting for Steve to come and continue his project. Just recently I've decided that I can't let it sit anymore and that it needs to get to a condition where Steve would be proud to take it out for a spin.

A little background on who I am because in all of his posts he rarely mentioned me, and mostly included my older brother. That's simply because he was around for the build and I was thousands of miles away in Texas.

For the past several years I've been committed to participating in local SCCA autocross and time trial. Initially I built a fox mustang from the ground up to CAM class rules, which is basically unlimited modifications while using a 200tw tire and maintaining street legality. By the time I was finished with it the only thing that was original was the sheet metal.

A few photos of the Mustang:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-13170-1602398020.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-13170-1602398022.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-13170-1602398022.3.jpg)

After 6 years of building the mustang I found something I couldn't live without, a 1997 Dodge Viper GTS road race car. I initially saw the car on Bring A Trailer where it had sold a year prior. I ended up tracking the car down to a dealer here in Texas. The car was bought by 60's NASCAR driver Dick Turner and turned into a race car from new back in 1997. I scored the car for a great deal and drove it the four hours home on Hoosier slicks and open side pipes! I've been sorting, modifying, and racing the car for the past year.

A few photos of the Viper:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-13170-1602398022.4.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-13170-1602398023.5.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-13170-1602398023.6.jpg)

So now, that brings us to the 914. Near the time that my Dad passed away, his health was steadily declining so the car got pushed to the wayside. Because of that it hasn't changed much at all from when it was first built. In resurrecting the car luckily most of the mechanical bits still function well. I've had to replace the clutch, fix a leaky oil supply line to the turbo, and track down some bad connections in the wiring. At this point I'm ready to start tuning the car to perform better at the autox, because that's where I want it to shine. It will definitely get a full interior, that's something my Dad never had a chance to finish. He always wanted AC in the car too, so I will sort that out as well.

Here are some recent photos of the 914

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-13170-1602398023.7.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-13170-1602398024.8.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-13170-1602398024.9.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-13170-1602398024.10.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-13170-1602398024.11.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-13170-1602398025.12.jpg)

I know Steve really enjoyed his time on this forum, so I want to thank you guys for bringing him some joy. Hopefully you guys find some peace knowing the car is in good hands. I'll be posting photos of the car and it's adventures here in the future.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 11 2020, 01:31 AM
Post #2

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

It's good to have met you at the local Modesto Euro Sundays. Through the couple of conversations we had it was obvious you got that car bug from your father and really enjoyed the different communities you are in.

I think the car is in the perfect home,many of us were very sorry to hear about the passing of your father a while back.

Keep us up to date on how your doing regularly! The car has always been a really cool and well done build. That GTS is something else!!
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 11 2020, 06:15 AM
Post #3

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

I see by your bumper tops you need to get hold of Matt and Mark from 914rubber.com and do a little sprucing up.

Sorry about your Dad. He was a cool dude...
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Oct 11 2020, 07:06 AM
Post #4

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Welcome- I am sure your dad is tickled you are taking on his car as he is looking down and waiting to see it running and driving again. Those are some very cool cars you built. I love the 914 already and it will only get better. Keep us all posted with the progress. What kind of power is that Subie putting out? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Oct 11 2020, 07:17 AM
Post #5

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Great that you're here! You Dad always had interesting things to say...and I love that he called himself DBCooper. Maybe the best screen name ever. Sometimes the way he answered things I wondered if he might actually be DB Cooper.

Love the foxbody and the viper.

Keep us posted and let us know how we can help!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 11 2020, 07:22 AM
Post #6

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Gint
post Oct 11 2020, 07:57 AM
Post #7

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with all of the above. It sounds like your Dad's car is in good hands. Welcome!
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Oct 11 2020, 09:03 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

Welcome and thanks for the post.
+Quote Post
Jett
post Oct 11 2020, 09:25 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 17,686
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Sorry to hear about your father. I am confident that he would be proud you are caring for his car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thank you for sharing!
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 11 2020, 09:35 AM
Post #10

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

I blatantly copied the shift setup on that car and told your Dad so. He said great, your welcome. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Later, I made the adapter plate used on that 914 to mount the clutch MC to the existing pedal cluster. Hope it's still working for you. I take it you've seen his Youtube video of the 914 eating a Saleen Mustang. That wasn't a poke at you was it? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) I knew him as Paul so I'll say as others here have, I miss Paul. His passing was a shock to me. His contributions are sorely missed here. One of the Suby/914 Pioneers. His build was an inspiration to others & me although I went the 6 route. Welcome to the insanity. Kent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 11 2020, 10:48 AM
Post #11

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(iankarr @ Oct 11 2020, 06:17 AM) *
Sometimes the way he answered things I wondered if he might actually be DB Cooper.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I actually had never heard of DB Cooper (being from another continent and all that) until some of Paul's comments many years ago.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
MM1
post Oct 11 2020, 11:12 AM
Post #12

914 obsession continues

Member No.: 22,105
Region Association: Southern California

This is a proper tribute to your Father-well done, Sir.
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Oct 11 2020, 05:20 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

What a great connection to your dad. Keep us posted on your progress.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Oct 11 2020, 07:04 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Paul was an awesome guy (as you know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ). We really miss him. It's nice to see the car again and it sounds like you're the perfect person to own it.

Here's the 914/Mustang race...car looks familiar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6JxpYwqUMs

+Quote Post
garrettlee2
post Oct 11 2020, 09:54 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 14,901

Glad to see you’re getting it back going
+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 11 2020, 10:27 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

It is awesome your here & bringing his car back to life. It is famous among us Subaru conversion guys. Good to have you here with us crazy people. Sounds like you'll fit right in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 12 2020, 12:47 PM
Post #17

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Welcome to 914World.

I knew of your dad from Turbobricks and here, glad to see the car was kept in the family.

Looking forward to seeing it completed.

+Quote Post
rmarx
post Oct 12 2020, 01:16 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 7,784

Welcome. Sorry to hear of your Fathers passing. I love your other cars! I am building a Subie conversion (6). Hopefully our paths will cross.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Oct 12 2020, 06:44 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 12 2020, 01:47 PM) *

Welcome to 914World.

I knew of your dad from Turbobricks and here, glad to see the car was kept in the family.

Looking forward to seeing it completed.

Yeah I wonder what happened to the orange 1975 242 Paul was planning to put an LS in? He posted some pics when he bought it.
+Quote Post
strawman
post Oct 12 2020, 10:45 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 8,624
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 11 2020, 09:27 PM) *

It is awesome your here & bringing his car back to life. It is famous among us Subaru conversion guys. Good to have you here with us crazy people. Sounds like you'll fit right in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Looking forward to updates!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 04:51 PM