Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trans question for the brain trust
BPic
post Oct 17 2020, 01:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,864
Region Association: South East States

My trans goes into all gears but pops out of 2nd. I don't know if it pops out of 4th as I haven't gotten that fast. 3rd 1st and reverse are no issues.

The other thing is I can actually push past 2nd and 4th, with car off and without much effort, and then this happens... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached Image

I can drive it in 2nd if I hold the shifter in place. I've adjusted again and again using all the techniques and it doesn't appear to change even the slightest. Is there something I'm missing or is it time for a rebuild. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Oct 17 2020, 01:44 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(BPic @ Oct 18 2020, 08:15 AM) *

My trans goes into all gears but pops out of 2nd. I don't know if it pops out of 4th as I haven't gotten that fast. 3rd 1st and reverse are no issues.

The other thing is I can actually push past 2nd and 4th, with car off and without much effort, and then this happens... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached Image

I can drive it in 2nd if I hold the shifter in place. I've adjusted again and again using all the techniques and it doesn't appear to change even the slightest. Is there something I'm missing or is it time for a rebuild. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

You have the wrong part that holds the nylon ball cup,believe you have the shorter one,I would think all will come good when you change it .
Good luck.
+Quote Post
BPic
post Oct 17 2020, 01:47 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(porschetub @ Oct 17 2020, 03:44 PM) *

Attached Image

You have the wrong part that holds the nylon ball cup,believe you have the shorter one,I would think all will come good when you change it .
Good luck.

There's more than one size of those cast cups? I have 2 from 2 different transmissions and both the same. I'll start looking now.

Thanks.
+Quote Post
BPic
post Oct 17 2020, 02:13 PM
Post #4

I measured mine and both are 65 mm. Anyone know where to get a longer one?

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 17 2020, 02:28 PM
Post #5

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Early ones for the tailshifter are shorter than the later ones for the sideshifter.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Oct 17 2020, 02:34 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(BPic @ Oct 18 2020, 08:47 AM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Oct 17 2020, 03:44 PM) *

Attached Image

Good luck.

There's more than one size of those cast cups? I have 2 from 2 different transmissions and both the same. I'll start looking now.

Thanks.

No problem,I would measure mine for you but my car is off the jackstands for a change (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) .
+Quote Post
Rich Bontempi
post Oct 17 2020, 02:39 PM
Post #7

914 Road Racer

Member No.: 239
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(BPic @ Oct 17 2020, 12:15 PM) *

Attached Image

I'm looking at your pic, and I can't see the washer that goes on both sides of the shift housing and the lever. There should be one washer on both sides of the shift housing. We stock them, if they aren't there. Rich
+Quote Post
Rich Bontempi
post Oct 17 2020, 02:41 PM
Post #8

914 Road Racer

QUOTE(BPic @ Oct 17 2020, 01:13 PM) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

ALL the side shift, 73-76 914-4 transmissions have the same parts. There are NOT two different lengths.
+Quote Post
Rich Bontempi
post Oct 17 2020, 02:43 PM
Post #9

914 Road Racer

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 17 2020, 01:28 PM) *

Early ones for the tailshifter are shorter than the later ones for the sideshifter.

The 1970-1972 tail shifter part is not the same at all.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Oct 17 2020, 02:43 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

that shift head looks correct, have you installed a better ball cup bushing? On the other hand, maybe someone at one time cut yours shorter for 911 and early 914 applications. The first thing I thought is that someone installed the earlier shift head in your car until I saw a picture of it

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
BPic
post Oct 17 2020, 02:46 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Rich Bontempi @ Oct 17 2020, 04:39 PM) *

Attached Image

I'm looking at your pic, and I can't see the washer that goes on both sides of the shift housing and the lever. There should be one washer on both sides of the shift housing. We stock them, if they aren't there. Rich

Rich do you mena the highlighted washer? I'll check.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Rich Bontempi
post Oct 17 2020, 02:48 PM
Post #12

914 Road Racer

Attached Image

I hope you realize you need to pop the ball cup bushing on that round ball lever!
+Quote Post
BPic
post Oct 17 2020, 02:48 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 17 2020, 04:43 PM) *

that shift head looks correct, have you installed a better ball cup bushing? On the other hand, maybe someone at one time cut yours shorter for 911 and early 914 applications. The first thing I thought is that someone installed the earlier shift head in your car until I saw a picture of it

Attached Image

Attached Image

Thanks Dr. No the head was not altered. I have two that are identical.
+Quote Post
Rich Bontempi
post Oct 17 2020, 02:50 PM
Post #14

914 Road Racer

QUOTE(BPic @ Oct 17 2020, 01:46 PM) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

Number 15 and number 18 are the washers!
+Quote Post
BPic
post Oct 17 2020, 02:50 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Rich Bontempi @ Oct 17 2020, 04:48 PM) *

Attached Image

I hope you realize you need to pop the ball cup bushing on that round ball lever!

Yes. Thats part of the issue it extends to far and pulls out just like in the pic. And the cup is new.
+Quote Post
Rich Bontempi
post Oct 17 2020, 03:34 PM
Post #16

914 Road Racer

QUOTE(Rich Bontempi @ Oct 17 2020, 01:50 PM) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

The washers keep the shifter from going too far!
+Quote Post
BPic
post Oct 17 2020, 03:48 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(Rich Bontempi @ Oct 17 2020, 05:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Rich Bontempi @ Oct 17 2020, 01:50 PM) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

The washers keep the shifter from going too far!

Rich sending you a PM regarding washers.
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Oct 17 2020, 03:59 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

Have you tried shifting it to 2nd gear by hand on the rear tranny? Offcourse engine not running then push clutch to start engine and try if you release the clutch pedal will let the car run without popping.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Oct 17 2020, 06:55 PM
Post #19

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Is the pinkish stuff on the ball bushing material or grease? Is the ball cup hard plastic? When the white ones are on the ball it can be a pain to get them off.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:00 AM