Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2056 list of parts/work involved
william1764
post Oct 22 2020, 02:13 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,717
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Considering rebuilding my 2.0 to a 2056 or replacing engine with quality 2056 build already completed. Where can I find list of parts/work involved in a 2056 build? Thanks in advance!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gint
post Oct 22 2020, 03:07 PM
Post #2

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I modified your thread title so it looks less like a classified ad. Since you already have a WTB ad and all...
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Oct 22 2020, 03:15 PM
Post #3

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

What kind of 2056? Carbs? D-Jet? Will you be doing just the top end...or the bottom as well?

+Quote Post
william1764
post Oct 22 2020, 03:20 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 22 2020, 01:07 PM) *

I modified your thread title so it looks less like a classified ad. Since you already have a WTB ad and all...

Thank you
+Quote Post
william1764
post Oct 22 2020, 03:23 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(iankarr @ Oct 22 2020, 01:15 PM) *

What kind of 2056? Carbs? D-Jet? Will you be doing just the top end...or the bottom as well?

Great questions. Carb'd but don't know about top/bottom yet. My indy will advise. Engine is strong and has low miles. We'll see what he recommends.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Oct 22 2020, 03:30 PM
Post #6

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

At the very least you need a set of 96mm pistons and cylinders. That get you from a 2.0 to a 2056. If you run DJet now, you will be able to continue running DJET w/o changing all that much. You should expect a nice bump in power over a tired 2.0. Maybe about 115HP if you at least get heads done, maybe more depending on the build.

After that.... There is a lot you can upgrade. The single most important thing is the heads, and most of the money from your build will go into the heads.

Zach
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Oct 22 2020, 04:16 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

I was going down this road 3 years ago while I was still in my 50's. So I think time is a factor, at least for me.

Here was my plan:

Keep everything stock going from a great running 1.7 to 2056.

By the time I had collected 75% of the parts and had poweder coated and prepped all the parts ....I was almost 5k down the road without even buying the heads. I had Mark ready to pull the string on building it and had put money down to do so.

I saw and then bought a 987 for 12k and promptly changed my mind to keep the great running 1.7 and just restore every stock bit that needed restoring.

Keep in mind the "diminishing loss of fun" factor and the diminsihing returns when considering your decision.

Don't get me wrong....a 2056 is a great running engine but to get it flawless takes time and money.

Figure two years for the project if you build a type 4 yourself right and 15k minimum. To take the 2.0 out and have a non running car for a while is the "diminishing fun" factor that changed my mind plus the cost....I'm a perfectionist when it comes to engines...I hate having to do things over because I used crappy parts.

Good luck finding a good running used one...that's a needle in a stack of needles.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Oct 22 2020, 04:34 PM
Post #8

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749

QUOTE(william1764 @ Oct 22 2020, 05:23 PM) *

Great questions. Carb'd but don't know about top/bottom yet. My indy will advise. Engine is strong and has low miles. We'll see what he recommends.

If the engine is running strong and you don't see any evidence of cylinders leaking, I'd consider just doing the top end. 96mm pistons and cylinders (recommend KB and jugs from EMW). Depending on your experience / ability / tools, you can do that in less than a week total. The next step up would be new heads (recommend the ones HAM makes) for about 2K - and that's where you should see the noticeable bump. You'll probably need new pushrods to to tweak your valve geometry...so add more time to the build.
From there you split the case and upgrade the cam, which will give you more oomph. Especially if you're still running the OEM D-Jet cam with your carbs. It's as slippery slope from there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Oct 22 2020, 05:22 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 5,834

QUOTE(william1764 @ Oct 22 2020, 12:13 PM) *

Considering rebuilding my 2.0 to a 2056 or replacing engine with quality 2056 build already completed. Where can I find list of parts/work involved in a 2056 build? Thanks in advance!

"Rebuilding" because it needs to be rebuilt or rebuilding because you want to increase displacement?

Bare minimum to get to a 2056 if you have a running 2.0:
https://aapistons.com/collections/piston-li...-kit-914-type-4

Technically you don't even need to split the case, just pull the heads and swap the P&Cs. That being said a 2056 becomes a lot more fun with the right cam and aftermarket injection.

If your motor "needs" a rebuild than what else you need is going to depend on what it looks like once you tear it down.

I know some people have a less than favorable view of the AA pistons but the ones in my EMW built 2056 autocross motor have held up to abuses that most would never subject their car to (see stints of 7000rpm), and i have seen a tame d-jet 2056 with KBs have a piston fail within the first 1000 miles due to fueling issues so i think as long as you QC the parts first and make sure your injection/tune is good you should be fine.
+Quote Post
william1764
post Oct 23 2020, 09:07 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 22 2020, 01:30 PM) *

At the very least you need a set of 96mm pistons and cylinders. That get you from a 2.0 to a 2056. If you run DJet now, you will be able to continue running DJET w/o changing all that much. You should expect a nice bump in power over a tired 2.0. Maybe about 115HP if you at least get heads done, maybe more depending on the build.

After that.... There is a lot you can upgrade. The single most important thing is the heads, and most of the money from your build will go into the heads.

Zach

Thanks Zach - hope you're well!
+Quote Post
william1764
post Oct 23 2020, 09:07 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(JamesM @ Oct 22 2020, 03:22 PM) *

QUOTE(william1764 @ Oct 22 2020, 12:13 PM) *

"Rebuilding" because it needs to be rebuilt or rebuilding because you want to increase displacement?

Bare minimum to get to a 2056 if you have a running 2.0:
https://aapistons.com/collections/piston-li...-kit-914-type-4

Technically you don't even need to split the case, just pull the heads and swap the P&Cs. That being said a 2056 becomes a lot more fun with the right cam and aftermarket injection.

If your motor "needs" a rebuild than what else you need is going to depend on what it looks like once you tear it down.

I know some people have a less than favorable view of the AA pistons but the ones in my EMW built 2056 autocross motor have held up to abuses that most would never subject their car to (see stints of 7000rpm), and i have seen a tame d-jet 2056 with KBs have a piston fail within the first 1000 miles due to fueling issues so i think as long as you QC the parts first and make sure your injection/tune is good you should be fine.

Very helpful - thank you
+Quote Post
william1764
post Oct 23 2020, 09:08 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(iankarr @ Oct 22 2020, 02:34 PM) *

QUOTE(william1764 @ Oct 22 2020, 05:23 PM) *

If the engine is running strong and you don't see any evidence of cylinders leaking, I'd consider just doing the top end. 96mm pistons and cylinders (recommend KB and jugs from EMW). Depending on your experience / ability / tools, you can do that in less than a week total. The next step up would be new heads (recommend the ones HAM makes) for about 2K - and that's where you should see the noticeable bump. You'll probably need new pushrods to to tweak your valve geometry...so add more time to the build.
From there you split the case and upgrade the cam, which will give you more oomph. Especially if you're still running the OEM D-Jet cam with your carbs. It's as slippery slope from there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Thank Ian!
+Quote Post
william1764
post Oct 23 2020, 09:10 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 22 2020, 02:16 PM) *

I was going down this road 3 years ago while I was still in my 50's. So I think time is a factor, at least for me.

Here was my plan:

Keep everything stock going from a great running 1.7 to 2056.

By the time I had collected 75% of the parts and had poweder coated and prepped all the parts ....I was almost 5k down the road without even buying the heads. I had Mark ready to pull the string on building it and had put money down to do so.

I saw and then bought a 987 for 12k and promptly changed my mind to keep the great running 1.7 and just restore every stock bit that needed restoring.

Keep in mind the "diminishing loss of fun" factor and the diminsihing returns when considering your decision.

Don't get me wrong....a 2056 is a great running engine but to get it flawless takes time and money.

Figure two years for the project if you build a type 4 yourself right and 15k minimum. To take the 2.0 out and have a non running car for a while is the "diminishing fun" factor that changed my mind plus the cost....I'm a perfectionist when it comes to engines...I hate having to do things over because I used crappy parts.

Good luck finding a good running used one...that's a needle in a stack of needles.

Thank you - good advice
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:04 PM