Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 6 7 8  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rust repair before paint, The quest for solid metal in the driver side Long - 73 narrow body/4 rebuild thread
Montreal914
post Aug 10 2023, 01:34 PM
Post #141

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 9 2023, 09:08 PM) *

Super nice job you're doing. Great fit-up on those panels. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Thank you! Coming from you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) I appreciate the compliment.

The file is one of my preferred tool… (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TRS63
post Aug 11 2023, 06:21 AM
Post #142

Member No.: 24,690
Region Association: Europe

Taking time to get the perfect fit is key to quality work. Well done (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Antoine
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Aug 11 2023, 07:12 AM
Post #143

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Aug 10 2023, 12:31 PM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Aug 10 2023, 11:09 AM) *

Prior to welding new sections in place, have you been double checking the alignment of your pickup points? Looking at your jig, it appears somewhat light gauge. A quick double check will let you know all is good before new metal is secured in place.

You don't have to ask why ...........

Although it looks like I am ready to weld this in, I am not there yet. Yes I will measure everything and also temporarily reinstall the fender to check door gap.

Each little step is at slow pace where subsequent steps planning are part of every move.

Think think think, act, trying to minimize the “ah darn” moments.

@TRS63 Antoine is far more concise but if I may:
HEY EVERYONE! The above bolded words are what make the ALL difference between an OK job (or worse) and the quality result @Montreal914 is achieving. Ask me how I know! Sooooo many times I've wanted to make progress and had a "that's going to be fine, it's close enough" attitude, only to complete a step and be disappointed in what I'd just done. Then I was left building off of what wasn't as good as I'd hoped.
So I want to give a big (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) to @Montreal914 for making this point. It's the one thing that makes the biggest difference for me. If I don't take the time to fit the material properly, I won't get the result I want. If I can't get into a (reasonably) relaxed, comfortable position, the weld isn't going to be as good.
People poke at me for doing things over and over again and this is one reason why I was doing that: my process wasn't working.
I just redid (!) the rear panel on my LS car and was sending in-process pics to @buddyv Robert. He commented about how fast I was able to crank out the project. It was because I spent a lot of up-front time thinking, planing, wondering, checking. He saw the execution, not the "pre-work". In the past I'd have just gone for it. Fun maybe, but not effective.

That said, I have a LOT left to learn - and always will. But I'm telling you, our friend here has nailed what I've come to believe are THE most important skills: patience and planning.

Great job and thanks for calling out your model for success!
OK, rant over. Back into the shop!
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Aug 11 2023, 10:23 AM
Post #144

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

@tygaboy WOW! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

I guess I have self set my bar high now... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) I will have to keep it up because the pros are watching and will give me bad review if I don't... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

But seriously, I wouldn't be able to tackle any of this without the high quality build threads and the detailed information we can find here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Thank you all for this generous boost, now I am fired up to get busy on the build! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Aug 12 2023, 07:52 AM
Post #145

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

@Montreal914 - One last comment about how critical I've found the patience and attitude thing and I'll stop clogging your thread. You may have seen my post about visiting the Singer factory last year:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...7&hl=Singer

For a more complete summary, read post # 8 but for thouse without patience (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) here's the short version, one I try and live by, about acceptable variance:
If Singer is +/- ZERO, going forward at the Red Barn, it's +/- less than yesterday!
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 6 7 8
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 01:28 AM