Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Someone interested in saving a real 914-6?, Rothsport Racing has to get rid on one in the next few days.
Aerostatwv
post Feb 17 2021, 12:31 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,315
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

If that car was acid dipped, the longitudinals will need removed so the paint can be replaced. I'm sure the heater tubes are gone as well...wow, flashbacks from mine getting dipped. What a lot of work!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
cary
post Mar 10 2021, 10:17 AM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(fiacra @ Feb 17 2021, 08:57 AM) *

QUOTE(fiacra @ Jan 31 2021, 09:06 PM) *

QUOTE(cary @ Jan 30 2021, 10:13 PM) *

QUOTE(fiacra @ Oct 28 2020, 03:14 PM) *

If someone does want to take on this project I have a complete 1970 with hell hole rot that I have been "saving" with a plan to do a restoration sometime in the next few years. The original bumpers are there and in great condition and as far as I know the front half is in great shape with no obvious problems, but these cars sometimes hold surprises.... If it would save a 914-6 I'd consider selling it, but not really looking to sell it under other circumstances. Not sure about price but I'm sure we could work out something reasonable. Hopefully someone will pick up this project and save it.

The purchase process has begun. Awaiting pictures.

They are on their way.

Cary's client found another donor car (a tub rather than a complete car) closer to him with a salvageable front end. In reality I'm relieved that he did as this car, which I offered as a donor only because it would save a 914-6, really should be restored. It's complete, has some rare parts in good shape, and will shortly be looking for a new home that has the time and capacity to save it. It was to be my first hell hole project, until Covid resulted in the welding program I enrolled in to be cancelled. I look forward to seeing updates from Cary on the 914-6 "swiss cheese" project!

Both Ben and I would like to have a 1970 car. So if and when we have enough space and its still available we'll probably make a road trip. This one needs to be saved.
+Quote Post
cary
post Mar 10 2021, 10:25 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Here is the donor the wife and I picked up on Saturday. A driven Idaho car.
The front clip I need looks to be in good shape. A couple spots will need some attention.
But I'll leave them alone until it comes back from the dip tank.
The car is cooked from the desert sun.
It will go into storage for a bit until we get a few projects on the road.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

When the times comes I'll start a restoration thread. To me it will always be the Swiss Cheese car.

Bus engine with air injectors.

+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Mar 11 2021, 07:17 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 22,206
Region Association: North East States

Having owned many 914s I have a serious question, how is the HellHole perfect and the Clip a disaster?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
+Quote Post
cary
post Mar 11 2021, 08:52 AM
Post #45

Advanced Member

I'm going to assume it was a poor choice on the replacement clip. This was a race car. So one has to assume it had an event. Hence the fiberglass flares in the front, steel in the back. Rush job.
Or vice vesa. We'll know more when we dig into the build date in the trunk.
@molecvir

But it will be a ways off. We need to build up Scott's other car first.
Its journey is just about to start. It's Rothsport 3.6 dynoed at 322hp.

Maybe @rufus can shed some light on the history. He was the previous owner. But it was a long time ago. Sat in storage for quite some time.
+Quote Post
Rufus
post Mar 11 2021, 10:39 AM
Post #46

Member No.: 5,840
Region Association: None

QUOTE(cary @ Mar 11 2021, 07:52 AM) *

I'm going to assume it was a poor choice on the replacement clip. This was a race car. So one has to assume it had an event. Hence the fiberglass flares in the front, steel in the back. Rush job.
Or vice vesa. We'll know more when we dig into the build date in the trunk.
@molecvir

But it will be a ways off. We need to build up Scott's other car first.
Its journey is just about to start. It's Rothsport 3.6 dynoed at 322hp.

Maybe @rufus can shed some light on the history. He was the previous owner. But it was a long time ago. Sat in storage for quite some time.

I can’t shed much light on the history. I believe I have the phone numbers of the 2 (official ... I got it on an open title from a flipper) owners before me. I spoke to the earlier of them, Marlo, kinda recently. I may have talked to the one before me, but that was 10-15 years ago. IIRC Marlo said he bought the car and it just sat during his ownership. I also seem to recall an owner prior to him raced it. Because of the time elapsed, Marlo couldn’t provide any info on that owner.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Mar 11 2021, 11:14 AM
Post #47

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

Haven't looked at this thread in a while. Made me think what's harder; fixing rusted panels or fixing someone's patch job (noting the blob welding)?
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 11:31 AM