Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Granpa's 914/6 discovered under tarp..., see craigslist (not my grandpa....)
Brian Mifsud
post Jul 14 2005, 07:38 PM
Post #1

Mechanical Engineer

Group: Members
Member No.: 384
Region Association: None

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif) http://www.craigslist.org/sby/car/84543114.html

Someone needs help determining value of grandpa's 914/6 in Los Gatos Ca
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brian Mifsud
post Jul 14 2005, 07:40 PM
Post #2

Mechanical Engineer

For all you "Sharks' out there.. I already warned the grandkid the car was worth around $15K if in good shape.....

Blame me if you couldn't steal if from them.....

+Quote Post
jd74914
post Jul 14 2005, 07:44 PM
Post #3

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Jul 14 2005, 08:40 PM)
For all you "Sharks' out there.. I already warned the grandkid the car was worth around $15K if in good shape.....

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) Honesty is the best policy man.
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jul 14 2005, 07:46 PM
Post #4

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

Maybe he'll part it out! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sawzall-smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 14 2005, 07:47 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Jul 14 2005, 06:40 PM)

i'd love to see his e-mails and see who we know only offered him $2K or so...you know someone did.....
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jul 14 2005, 07:49 PM
Post #6

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

I was hoping for a 6 digit vin (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 14 2005, 07:50 PM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

I got to thinking a few days ago about something similar...if I croak tommorow, what would Sherryl do with all my car's, tools and stuff??

I'm guessing she might keep the 911 and toss the rest....guess call Brad, Mark D or Mike Rose and offer it all dirt cheap or free....
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jul 14 2005, 07:50 PM
Post #8

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

QUOTE (Mueller @ Jul 14 2005, 05:47 PM)
...you know someone did.....

yea, someone who's a member here! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
Brian Mifsud
post Jul 14 2005, 07:54 PM
Post #9

Mechanical Engineer

I gotta say, this struck me kind of close to home.. my dad, a master machinist, died 2 years ago.

Suddenly, "friends" of relative were bugging my mom and "offering" to take the machines off her hands. It's enough to lose a loved one.. only to learn later you've been fleeced on selling their most prized possessions........ thank God she asked me first and I sent them packing...

+Quote Post
Type 4 Unleashed
post Jul 14 2005, 08:45 PM
Post #10

CREATIVE TYPE lV ENGINEERING

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 2,231

The posting has already been deleted. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 14 2005, 09:19 PM
Post #11

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Jul 14 2005, 06:40 PM)
I already warned the grandkid the car was worth around $15K if in good shape.....

and who says the car *IS* worth $15k? what if it's a rust bucket with a long gone "hell hole"?
how is one supposed to know without pictures?

i wouldn't "blind bid" over $1500 for ANY original /6. the guy obviously doesn't know anything about the cars, so him saying it "looks nice" is not worth $10k to me ...

sorry, that's just the way i am ...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jul 14 2005, 09:45 PM
Post #12

neo life

Member No.: 159

Maybe his grandpa found it in a field before stashing it in his garage. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

Here's another "find" that was on CL...

1973 911S CAR IS SOLD, BUYER DROVE IT HOME. - $3500 (gilroy, south county)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: anon-70453995@craigslist.org
Date: 2005-04-27, 8:51AM PDT

selling my dad's car, not sure what's it's worth, he bought it new, only put 43,192 miles on it. it has some special seats in it that came with it when he ordered it, he called them sports recarols. i'm not into cars and i'm out of state so that's all i remember. the car has been sitting in my mother's garage since dad passed in 1984. it's real dusty even though it was covered. we put mom in a home so we need to sell the car to empty the house. the car is real nice and the paint is still glossy black and the interior still smells like leather, but since it's an old car we didn't know what to ask for it. make offer, you will need a tow truck since the tires are old.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jul 14 2005, 10:16 PM
Post #13

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

While I applaud your sense of humanity in informing the seller of what you think it's worth....I think that you didn't do the guy or anyone else a favor.

You haven't seen the car, don't know if the thing is a turd or a gem. All you did was screw it up for any clubmember from getting a good deal.

This world is set up for buyers and sellers....one would expect to go over and see it and say....OK...what do you want for it? You strike a deal.

NOW the seller thinks it's worth a King's Ransom...he was wanting a quick sale....now he raises his asking price and he gets every dickhead on the board hitting on him.....any moron that has something to sell, HAS to know what his bottom line is.....in the age of computers and help desks...anyone who sells something too low deserves to be fleeced by the circling sharks....

How many have been at a flea market and seen a diamond in a turd and got an unbelievable price???? Hell, I've seen swap meeters cruise thru early pick stuff up and then drag it over to their spot and double the price and get it....

ME....I would have gone in and taken a look at it while evaluating and asking his price....if he was giving it away..."I" would have said something....I'm honest that way......but if he was in the ballpark....I would bargain hard and really get pissed when someone from out the area gave the seller a wild ass guess as to it's worth....but that's ME....
+Quote Post
Brian Mifsud
post Jul 14 2005, 11:04 PM
Post #14

Mechanical Engineer

I feel very very good about what I did. Mind you, I said "if it was in good shape"... it worth "AROUND".. $15K...

I've since corresponded with the seller. He thanked me for pointing out the car had some value.

.........................................He actually thought it was just a VW...........................................................

I've since pointed him to the pricing guide published yearly in Excellence. I've also enlightened him about the existence of this board and Pelican.. be happy that one day, he will read through the archives and read your replies and know JUST what kind of people you are from what you are typing right now...

The most and I really mean MOST rewarding thing about this correspondence with the seller is that he thanked me as the ONLY person who paid some sort of respect to the fact that HIS GRANDFATHER DIED!!!

He's having to sort through items that constantly remind him of his grandfather.. .that's tough......

If you feel I've "screwed up" opportunities for some one on this board to get a "Good deal", I feel even better. He will be an INFORMED seller, rather then a sucker. When this "informed" seller, and a fairminded buyer get together , they will arrive at fair market value....................

+Quote Post
Mr.C
post Jul 14 2005, 11:08 PM
Post #15

Easy does it

Member No.: 61

Damn and to top it off the listing is deleted. All this teasing going on, first Muellers potential find that we have to wait for and now this. GEEZ (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif) Wait maybe that was the same car and now you screwed it up for Mueller?
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jul 14 2005, 11:16 PM
Post #16

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

It makes me a little suspicious when the ad says he doesn't know cars, but it has sports recarols or something like that, and it's been sitting since 1984 and you'll need a tow truck because the tires are old..... but the interior still smells like leather...

I can just smell that oooooolllldddd car smell now..... sniifffff snifff.... hmmm.... don't smell like leather to me.

Oh crap... no offense to anyone. Just my messed up smeller and cynical attitude talking.

I'm thinking about recovering my vinyl 914 seats with leather... a friend of mine is good with that stuff...
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jul 14 2005, 11:30 PM
Post #17

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

This car had been for sale for 2 years , stored in a barn, the guy even sent out post card type for sale adds to shops finally Akers bought it and its nice, low miles 43k . Price 10k Now has a nice home in a collection.

You never know untill you See it , to know what it is worth.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jul 14 2005, 11:35 PM
Post #18

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

That's the bottom line. You don't know until you see it. Everything else is speculation. I teach my kids to only comment on facts, not speculation.

Then sometimes put my mouth in gear before engaging my brain. Sometimes it's fun, but I usually end up hating the taste of tennis shoe.

But the stirring in this thread has been interesting... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jul 15 2005, 12:40 AM
Post #19

neo life

Member No.: 159

QUOTE (V6914 @ Jul 14 2005, 06:45 PM)
The posting has already been deleted. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif)

Still there but in case he does:
1970 Porsche 914 (los gatos)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: anon-84543114@craigslist.org
Date: 2005-07-14, 5:50PM PDT

My grandfather recently passed away and we were cleaning out his garage. Under a tarp there was a blue Porsche 914.

Don't know how long it was sitting there and looks like it's in pretty good shape. No dents anyway. Looks like it says "914-6" on the back of it.

Don't know the value of the car so not sure what to ask. I guess the best offer gets it.

I guess I could get some pictures but didn't have a camera handy. ------- edit at about 6:30 Brian emailed me to tell me how much it is worth approx. if it is a real 914-6 (I didn't know there was something special about the car) so I'm going to just not sell it and look into the car more and maybe keep it. Someone wanted to know the vin it's 9 1 4 0 431937. I'll check out the web sites that were mentioned too. thanks. I'm putting this note here because I got too many people asking. thankyou.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 15 2005, 12:48 AM
Post #20

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I think that it would be cool for this guy to restore his grandfathers car. It is sad that he passed, but what a way to keep his memory close (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 10:38 AM