Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Granpa's 914/6 discovered under tarp...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Brian Mifsud
sad.gif http://www.craigslist.org/sby/car/84543114.html

Someone needs help determining value of grandpa's 914/6 in Los Gatos Ca
Brian Mifsud
For all you "Sharks' out there.. I already warned the grandkid the car was worth around $15K if in good shape.....

Blame me if you couldn't steal if from them.....

jd74914
QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Jul 14 2005, 08:40 PM)
For all you "Sharks' out there.. I already warned the grandkid the car was worth around $15K if in good shape.....

smilie_pokal.gif Honesty is the best policy man.
bondo
Maybe he'll part it out! sawzall-smiley.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Jul 14 2005, 06:40 PM)

i'd love to see his e-mails and see who we know only offered him $2K or so...you know someone did.....
bondo
I was hoping for a 6 digit vin smile.gif
Mueller
I got to thinking a few days ago about something similar...if I croak tommorow, what would Sherryl do with all my car's, tools and stuff??

I'm guessing she might keep the 911 and toss the rest....guess call Brad, Mark D or Mike Rose and offer it all dirt cheap or free....
URY914
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jul 14 2005, 05:47 PM)
...you know someone did.....

yea, someone who's a member here! rolleyes.gif
Brian Mifsud
I gotta say, this struck me kind of close to home.. my dad, a master machinist, died 2 years ago.

Suddenly, "friends" of relative were bugging my mom and "offering" to take the machines off her hands. It's enough to lose a loved one.. only to learn later you've been fleeced on selling their most prized possessions........ thank God she asked me first and I sent them packing...

Type 4 Unleashed
The posting has already been deleted. happy11.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Jul 14 2005, 06:40 PM)
I already warned the grandkid the car was worth around $15K if in good shape.....

and who says the car *IS* worth $15k? what if it's a rust bucket with a long gone "hell hole"?
how is one supposed to know without pictures?

i wouldn't "blind bid" over $1500 for ANY original /6. the guy obviously doesn't know anything about the cars, so him saying it "looks nice" is not worth $10k to me ...

sorry, that's just the way i am ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
neo914-6
Maybe his grandpa found it in a field before stashing it in his garage. laugh.gif

Here's another "find" that was on CL...

1973 911S CAR IS SOLD, BUYER DROVE IT HOME. - $3500 (gilroy, south county)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: anon-70453995@craigslist.org
Date: 2005-04-27, 8:51AM PDT

selling my dad's car, not sure what's it's worth, he bought it new, only put 43,192 miles on it. it has some special seats in it that came with it when he ordered it, he called them sports recarols. i'm not into cars and i'm out of state so that's all i remember. the car has been sitting in my mother's garage since dad passed in 1984. it's real dusty even though it was covered. we put mom in a home so we need to sell the car to empty the house. the car is real nice and the paint is still glossy black and the interior still smells like leather, but since it's an old car we didn't know what to ask for it. make offer, you will need a tow truck since the tires are old.
Joe Bob
While I applaud your sense of humanity in informing the seller of what you think it's worth....I think that you didn't do the guy or anyone else a favor.

You haven't seen the car, don't know if the thing is a turd or a gem. All you did was screw it up for any clubmember from getting a good deal.

This world is set up for buyers and sellers....one would expect to go over and see it and say....OK...what do you want for it? You strike a deal.

NOW the seller thinks it's worth a King's Ransom...he was wanting a quick sale....now he raises his asking price and he gets every dickhead on the board hitting on him.....any moron that has something to sell, HAS to know what his bottom line is.....in the age of computers and help desks...anyone who sells something too low deserves to be fleeced by the circling sharks....

How many have been at a flea market and seen a diamond in a turd and got an unbelievable price???? Hell, I've seen swap meeters cruise thru early pick stuff up and then drag it over to their spot and double the price and get it....

ME....I would have gone in and taken a look at it while evaluating and asking his price....if he was giving it away..."I" would have said something....I'm honest that way......but if he was in the ballpark....I would bargain hard and really get pissed when someone from out the area gave the seller a wild ass guess as to it's worth....but that's ME....
Brian Mifsud
I feel very very good about what I did. Mind you, I said "if it was in good shape"... it worth "AROUND".. $15K...

I've since corresponded with the seller. He thanked me for pointing out the car had some value.

.........................................He actually thought it was just a VW...........................................................

I've since pointed him to the pricing guide published yearly in Excellence. I've also enlightened him about the existence of this board and Pelican.. be happy that one day, he will read through the archives and read your replies and know JUST what kind of people you are from what you are typing right now...

The most and I really mean MOST rewarding thing about this correspondence with the seller is that he thanked me as the ONLY person who paid some sort of respect to the fact that HIS GRANDFATHER DIED!!!

He's having to sort through items that constantly remind him of his grandfather.. .that's tough......

If you feel I've "screwed up" opportunities for some one on this board to get a "Good deal", I feel even better. He will be an INFORMED seller, rather then a sucker. When this "informed" seller, and a fairminded buyer get together , they will arrive at fair market value....................

Mr.C
Damn and to top it off the listing is deleted. All this teasing going on, first Muellers potential find that we have to wait for and now this. GEEZ mad.gif Wait maybe that was the same car and now you screwed it up for Mueller?
Rand
It makes me a little suspicious when the ad says he doesn't know cars, but it has sports recarols or something like that, and it's been sitting since 1984 and you'll need a tow truck because the tires are old..... but the interior still smells like leather...

I can just smell that oooooolllldddd car smell now..... sniifffff snifff.... hmmm.... don't smell like leather to me.

Oh crap... no offense to anyone. Just my messed up smeller and cynical attitude talking.

I'm thinking about recovering my vinyl 914 seats with leather... a friend of mine is good with that stuff...
sixnotfour
This car had been for sale for 2 years , stored in a barn, the guy even sent out post card type for sale adds to shops finally Akers bought it and its nice, low miles 43k . Price 10k Now has a nice home in a collection.

You never know untill you See it , to know what it is worth.
Rand
That's the bottom line. You don't know until you see it. Everything else is speculation. I teach my kids to only comment on facts, not speculation.

Then sometimes put my mouth in gear before engaging my brain. Sometimes it's fun, but I usually end up hating the taste of tennis shoe.

But the stirring in this thread has been interesting... happy11.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE (V6914 @ Jul 14 2005, 06:45 PM)
The posting has already been deleted. happy11.gif

Still there but in case he does:
1970 Porsche 914 (los gatos)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: anon-84543114@craigslist.org
Date: 2005-07-14, 5:50PM PDT

My grandfather recently passed away and we were cleaning out his garage. Under a tarp there was a blue Porsche 914.

Don't know how long it was sitting there and looks like it's in pretty good shape. No dents anyway. Looks like it says "914-6" on the back of it.

Don't know the value of the car so not sure what to ask. I guess the best offer gets it.

I guess I could get some pictures but didn't have a camera handy. ------- edit at about 6:30 Brian emailed me to tell me how much it is worth approx. if it is a real 914-6 (I didn't know there was something special about the car) so I'm going to just not sell it and look into the car more and maybe keep it. Someone wanted to know the vin it's 9 1 4 0 431937. I'll check out the web sites that were mentioned too. thanks. I'm putting this note here because I got too many people asking. thankyou.
Dr Evil
I think that it would be cool for this guy to restore his grandfathers car. It is sad that he passed, but what a way to keep his memory close biggrin.gif
Verruckt
QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Jul 14 2005, 11:04 PM)
I feel very very good about what I did. Mind you, I said "if it was in good shape"... it worth "AROUND".. $15K...

I've since corresponded with the seller. He thanked me for pointing out the car had some value.

.........................................He actually thought it was just a VW...........................................................

I've since pointed him to the pricing guide published yearly in Excellence. I've also enlightened him about the existence of this board and Pelican.. be happy that one day, he will read through the archives and read your replies and know JUST what kind of people you are from what you are typing right now...

The most and I really mean MOST rewarding thing about this correspondence with the seller is that he thanked me as the ONLY person who paid some sort of respect to the fact that HIS GRANDFATHER DIED!!!

He's having to sort through items that constantly remind him of his grandfather.. .that's tough......

If you feel I've "screwed up" opportunities for some one on this board to get a "Good deal", I feel even better. He will be an INFORMED seller, rather then a sucker. When this "informed" seller, and a fairminded buyer get together , they will arrive at fair market value....................

There is such a thing as karma...

wink.gif
redshift
smile.gif

Welp, there goes that one.

M
Joe Bob
Cool yer jets Brian.....he says best offer gets it. To me the seller is getting rid of shit that belonged to his gramps....no nostalgia, no feelings of oh dear, woe is me.....he's doing the show me the money bit.

There ARE people out there that consider their parents and g-parents as PITA's that are just a savings account for them waiting to die and open up.....that's my opinion of this ad.

IF and when my parents pass....my brothers and I willl meet, divide up what we want or has been willed to us and have an estate sale conducted by a pro auction house....nothing as tacky as placing an ad on the internet.....
redshift
smile.gif

davep
QUOTE (Rand @ Jul 14 2005, 09:16 PM)
I can just smell that oooooolllldddd car smell now..... sniifffff snifff.... hmmm.... don't smell like leather to me.

WTF? A friend had a '59 Carrera sitting in a tobacco barn for 30 years. I openned the car door and the leather smell was damn close to showroom smell. Real sweet.
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE (Manfred Z @ Jul 15 2005, 05:52 AM)
Cool yer jets Brian.....he says best offer gets it. To me the seller is getting rid of shit that belonged to his gramps....no nostalgia, no feelings of oh dear, woe is me.....he's doing the show me the money bit.

There ARE people out there that consider their parents and g-parents as PITA's that are just a savings account for them waiting to die and open up.....that's my opinion of this ad.

IF and when my parents pass....my brothers and I willl meet, divide up what we want or has been willed to us and have an estate sale conducted by a pro auction house....nothing as tacky as placing an ad on the internet.....

Hi Manfred,

My goal in posting this was to lend a hand to this guy in trying to determine the value of the car. (In the spirit of helping out a fellow 'teener, much like help I've received from this board....)

Unfortunately, as soon as I posted it.. I realized I'd just thrown a load of chum into the ocean and in a couple of seconds.... some sharks would show up....

I just didn't realize how much stomach growling goes on in sharks when you pull their "food" out from in front of them.....

(gee, I hope they won't take a chunck out of my boat.......)

I seemed to have missed the tone in the sellers original message that he was selling grandpa's "shit"..... ( I didn't realize I'm wasting all the money each time I flush the toilet........)
( sad.gif biggrin.gif

Joe Bob
Like I said in my first post....I admire your sense of....." fairplay".....prolly a better term than "humanity"......my take on the ad was he was disposing of "stuff"....the seller is NOT an enthusiast....he's a seller of STUFF....he's disposing of Gramp's favorite ride w/o a backward glance.

We both read the ad, we both got a different impression of the attitude of the seller. MY opinion is that he doesn't give a damn about the car or the memory of gramps.....
eeyore
bs.gif

Perhaps an ENTHUSIAST wouldn't be a chiseler and try to take advantage of the ingorance a widow and a grandson (who may love is grandpa and memories, but not share the same interests) but would work to get a fair deal for both the seller and the buyer and find 'good home' for the car.
Joe Bob
Oh puuuuhhhllleeeze...... rolleyes.gif
SLITS
lol2.gif lol2.gif

Everyone of us would take a stab at a "deal" if we were the only player on the field....Capitalism at it's best.....

Ok Zits, you gonna make me drag out that smilie again hijacked.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Cloudbuster @ Jul 15 2005, 09:06 AM)
but would work to get a fair deal for both the seller and the buyer and find 'good home' for the car.

agree.gif but my point is simple ...

how can you KNOW the car is worth $15k if you haven't seen it? or pictures?
$15k gets you a really nice RUNNING 914/6 with all working mechanicals and a nice paint.

like Z said, now the seller thinks he has a car made out of gold sitting in his garage and it'll be hard for anyone to proof otherwise.

what if the car has a rusted through long. (yeah, like that never happened before wacko.gif ).
would you still say it's woth $15k ??? i think *not* ...

for all we know, the car could be a $1500 roller/parts car at best.

but now it'll most likely show up on ebay with a $20k reserve ...
unsure.gif Andy
theol00
oh gawd - I'm gonna cry! sad.gif
Joe Bob
Finally....another voice of reason..... cool_shades.gif

Thanks Andy.....
eeyore
I'm picking at sematics mostly to justify being mad at Mr Fairplay -- the use of the word 'enthusiast'. So, non-enthusiasts (the grandson) deserve neither the car or the money from it because of apparent disinterest.

Just simply say, "You ruined my deal chair.gif" and leave it at that.

But given the grandson’s statement
if it is a real 914-6 (I didn't know there was something special about the car) so I'm going to just not sell it and look into the car more and maybe keep it.

It looks as if grandson may become an enthusiast after all...

chairfall.gif lol2.gif chairfall.gif lol2.gif

Everyone of us would take a stab at a "deal" if we were the only player on the field....Capitalism at it's best.....

Oh yeah. I guess I'll go compose me a letter now to buy my neighbor's damaged, yet complete '73 911S for $3K...
vortrex
if the car was good, the people complaining would have offered $8k and then had it on ebay within 30 minutes for $18k.
SirAndy
QUOTE (vortrex @ Jul 15 2005, 10:16 AM)
if the car was good, the people complaining would have offered $8k and then had it on ebay within 30 minutes for $18k.

i don't think so. i for one *will* own a original /6 one day. not for selling but for driving.

how about you?
idea.gif Andy
SLITS
QUOTE (Cloudbuster @ Jul 15 2005, 10:09 AM)
Oh yeah. I guess I'll go compose me a letter now to buy my neighbor's damaged, yet complete '73 911S for $3K...

More than I would pay....go for it.
Joe Bob
At least it's a long hood....
Joe Bob
QUOTE (Cloudbuster @ Jul 15 2005, 09:09 AM)
I'm picking at sematics mostly to justify being mad at Mr Fairplay -- the use of the word 'enthusiast'. So, non-enthusiasts (the grandson) deserve neither the car or the money from it because of apparent disinterest.

Just simply say, "You ruined my deal chair.gif" and leave it at that.

But given the grandson’s statement
if it is a real 914-6 (I didn't know there was something special about the car) so I'm going to just not sell it and look into the car more and maybe keep it.

It looks as if grandson may become an enthusiast after all...

chairfall.gif lol2.gif chairfall.gif lol2.gif

I was never interested in the car....done too many 400 mile trips for a car not as described. If the sonny boy has developed an interest...gud for heem....never too late.
grantsfo
Who cares? The market will bear the price the car is worth to somone. Seller is a little better educated to the potential value and is probably doing more research on the price he will set. If he's asking too much then he'll lower the price until it sells.

I'm just glad somone educated him to potential value of the car. I wouldnt be able to sleep knowing grandpa might come knocking at my door because I ripped off his favorite grand kid. biggrin.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jul 15 2005, 10:21 AM)
QUOTE (vortrex @ Jul 15 2005, 10:16 AM)

i don't think so. i for one *will* own a original /6 one day. not for selling but for driving.

how about you?
idea.gif Andy

that is what makes this an interesting thread.....

some of us would like to see the car sold cheap or at a low price to those that would really, really appreciate the deal and would be keeping the car....

then there is the "flipper", this type of person gets a personal hard-on knowing they "stole" the car and re-sold it at a mighty profit...nothing illegal about it, just not something one should not go bragging about IMHO
(used car saleman)

vortrex
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jul 15 2005, 09:33 AM)
then there is the "flipper", this type of person gets a personal hard-on knowing they "stole" the car and re-sold it at a mighty profit...nothing illegal about it, just not something one should not go bragging about IMHO
(used car saleman)

did I hear you say craig? biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
So...let's get to the "value" of an original six. Anyone here ever owned one? I have....twice.....they are underpowered, overated and overpriced. Give me a gud 2.0/4 anyday...IF stock.

Now a repowered six, or a conversion from a /4 to a big six.....now that is a RIDE. What's the diff???? The stoopid little piece of tin under the windshield with a number starting with "914" instead of "47X"......

Semantics, interpretation, CW versus hotrodder.....none of us will ever agree completely....but we can agree that 914s are fun.....

Gawd I need a beer and a BJ...... smoke.gif
olav
QUOTE (Manfred Z @ Jul 15 2005, 09:40 AM)

Now a repowered six, or a conversion from a /4 to a big six.....now that is a RIDE.  What's the diff???? ....but we can agree that 914s are fun.....

agree.gif

Once you put some real power in the middle the car's personalllity changes dramatically to a steroid ridden super fun beast to drive.
Mueller
QUOTE (vortrex @ Jul 15 2005, 10:38 AM)
(used car saleman)

actually I don't really view Craig that way for some reason, I know he has to be making some money doing it....
Bruce Allert
QUOTE (vortrex @ Jul 15 2005, 10:38 AM)
(used car saleman)

I know it was said in jest but I, for one, will stick up for Craig (not that he needs sticking up for) & say he buys & sells 914's because he likes the car, knows the car, what to look for to keep from getting screwed and is forthcoming with his knowledge of the car when he sells it to keep the buyers from getting something they hadn't bargained for. And he does make money doing so... unless I can talk him out of a 2.0 cheap laugh.gif

Once again, I know it was said in jest wink.gif

.......b
neo914-6
QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Jul 14 2005, 05:40 PM)

Brian,

It's admirable that you informed the seller of current value but there's no reason to characterize everyone as sharks or that you were saving the kid from loss. Do you know if he needs the money or that he would have felt at loss if he undersold it. Alot of people regret selling a car that tremendously appreciates later. Circumstance plays a big part of selling low but I don't know ANYONE that wouldn't want a good deal or a "steal" if opportunity presented itself.

Besides, maybe another "kid" who dreams about owning such a car has an opportunity taken away because the seller was informed of market value. We all love the stories of people paying little money on "barn finds". Maybe they do just want to cash out or maybe they restore it to it's original glory. Much better than stashed away unappreciated.

What's done is done, you feel good, the seller is saved from regret, and alot of opportunity seekers (I mean sharks) will have to keep looking...
Tony C

Wow! What a thread.

I am with Mike Z and Aaaaaaandy on this, and am glad I was not the only one thinking this way.

-tony screwy.gif screwy.gif
morph
QUOTE (Rand @ Jul 14 2005, 09:35 PM)
I teach my kids to only comment on facts, not speculation.

Then sometimes put my mouth in gear before engaging my brain. Sometimes it's fun, but I usually end up hating the taste of tennis shoe.

agree.gif

to funny
but true huh.gif

james
SirAndy
the quote below is from the "other" 914/6 thread ...

just something to think about. if a car has been sitting for god knows how long, those are just a few things that will have to be addressed. either by the seller or the buyer.
there will be a considerable amount of $$$ involved just to make such a car a good runner again. and yes, if all that is taken care of and the car has decent paint and interior and the title is clean it might very well fetch $15k ...

QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Jul 14 2005, 11:59 AM)
if they have been out of service a long time, it will require a nontrivial amount of money and work to bring them back to roadworthiness.  probably, if circumstances permitted you to do that, they wouldn't have been out of service and you wouldn't be selling.  be aware that buyers will be factoring that in, tho.

agree.gif after sitting for 25 years, one will have to replace and check a lot of things.

fuel system: drain and clean gastank and plastic lines in the center tunnel. replace ALL rubber fuel lines. replace fuel filter. check fuel pump.

engine: how was the engine prepared for the long storage? if moisture got in and the engine wasn't run evey month or so, you might be looking at a complete engine rebuild.

brakes: at the minimum rebuild brake calipers and flush the fluid. MC could be gunked up.

transmission: how was the tranny prepared for the long storage? see "engine" above ...

tires: they NEED to be replaced ...

and those are just the main mechanicals, how about the cosmetical stuff? seals dried out and cracked? vinyl? mice nests in the heater mufflers? chewed up electrical wires?

and then there's RUST. was the existing battery tray rust prepped before storage? or was it allowed to eat at the cars for the last 25 years?

i'm not trying to downtalk the cars, they might very well be in very good condition, just saying that both the buyer and seller have to be aware of the fact that after sitting for so long, some or all of the above issues will have to be addressed ...

if only i had the $$$, i'd love to have a original /6. maybe i could sell my firstborn. think she would go for that?
idea.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.