Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Granpa's 914/6 discovered under tarp...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
sandman
Mike Z and honesty don't belong in the same sentence. I suppose you could add dis- before honesty and then that would work for me. Please don't talk about being taken by sellers who don't describe vehicles accurately, been there, done that.
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Jul 15 2005, 11:26 AM)
QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Jul 14 2005, 05:40 PM)
For all you "Sharks' out there.. I already warned the grandkid the car was worth around $15K if in good shape.....

Blame me if you couldn't steal if from them.....

Brian,

It's admirable that you informed the seller of current value but there's no reason to characterize everyone as sharks or that you were saving the kid from loss. Do you know if he needs the money or that he would have felt at loss if he undersold it. Alot of people regret selling a car that tremendously appreciates later. Circumstance plays a big part of selling low but I don't know ANYONE that wouldn't want a good deal or a "steal" if opportunity presented itself.

Besides, maybe another "kid" who dreams about owning such a car has an opportunity taken away because the seller was informed of market value. We all love the stories of people paying little money on "barn finds". Maybe they do just want to cash out or maybe they restore it to it's original glory. Much better than stashed away unappreciated.

What's done is done, you feel good, the seller is saved from regret, and alot of opportunity seekers (I mean sharks) will have to keep looking...

Never called "everyone" sharks... just know that I made a mistake letting those who ARE sharks who are out there almost pounce. The whining that I defeated "buyer/seller beware system" I find very amusing.

And replying to various people who complained earlier......

If the seller attempted to sell at a "Pumped up price".. why is there any problem???????? It affects NO-ONE.... since NO-ONE would buy it...

If the car was rotten in the bad parts... then guess what... the car would by definition NOT be in "GOOD SHAPE"...

Again, this affects NO-ONE.... I'm thinking this is fairly straight forward logic.....

Excellence Magazine publishes a market survey on every Porsche Model, with ratings from "perfect" to "junk"....

Is it difficult for the whiners to understand this logic????

What I didn't (and won't do), is post the emails the seller replied to me. I've made a friend. I have no aspirations to buy his car... all my money is floating in the yacht harbor.... wink.gif I'm helping him understand what his car is all about. Maybe, when he understands enough, he will one day decide to sell it for it's fair market value... or maybe he'll decide to sell it dirt cheap 'cuase he feels like it....

I've learned a thing or two about the character of several board members. That's been gratifying in most cases.

If the premise of this action of mine irks you (that I let a "steal" slip away), then we don't have a value system in common, and I wouldn't want to buy/sell anything with you, nor probably hang out...

Fair Winds to you all

sixnotfour
No matter you're perspective the add reads "I guess the Best offer gets it"

BTW, he doesnt return emails . If it even exsits.
olav

He replied to Brian I believe... confused24.gif
fuch toy
Most likely the whole thing is a scam.

Olav is in the neighborhood. Why don't you drop by and give the club a report?
olav

I'll email the dude. I hope the anonymous email works from the ad copy in this post though unless Brian forwards the real email address...
SLITS
Those that are touting "the kinder gentler theme" would squeal like a stuck pig if it happened to them. We've all been on the short end of a deal when we gained knowledge.

Knowledge is power in ANY business situation. If you don't flex that power, you are an also-ran.

Sandman......you're way off base on this one.
redshift
Today, I found out about a friend who bought a 1 owner pre-WWII Martin D-45 giutar from the owner's wife, for $150, last week.

It's worth 1000 times that much, in somewhat marginal condition, this one is a museum piece.

Should I call her?

smile.gif

M
Lyressa Roberts
It sounds to me like Brian is setting himself up for a good deal down the road and he talked the seller into not selling it until he can screw him out of it himself. I mean, what better way to keep something "off-limits" until you can decide if you want it or not? Sounds like a good scam to me.

I may be way off, but Brian sounds like another one of these "Nanner, Nanner, Nanner" guys. These folks make me want to icon8.gif barf.gif

But, but, BUT!!! I also would not want to take advantage of another person's ignorance. I couldn't do that no way, no how. I would feel like a cheat.

I really don't see what everyone is getting all huffed up about it, though. WHO CARES!!!!
fuch toy
QUOTE (SLITS @ Jul 15 2005, 02:25 PM)
Those that are touting "the kinder gentler theme" would squeal like a stuck pig if it happened to them. We've all been on the short end of a deal when we gained knowledge.

Knowledge is power in ANY business situation. If you don't flex that power, you are an also-ran.

Sandman......you're way off base on this one.

Caveat Emptor.
redshift
I get in the middle of a few things I shoudn't, it's human nature to act like you know it all.

M
fuch toy
Getting in the middle might get you all warm and fuzzy though. Better than getting sand in your Schlitz.
redshift
Clowns to the left of me...

M
fuch toy
Jokers to the right, here "I" am.
redshift
Hey man, we took over a thread!

ohmy.gif

Have you ever considered World domination?

idea.gif
Mr.C
bootyshake.gif sheeplove.gif
back in the middle again..........
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE (Lyressa Roberts @ Jul 15 2005, 02:33 PM)
It sounds to me like Brian is setting himself up for a good deal down the road and he talked the seller into not selling it until he can screw him out of it himself. I mean, what better way to keep something "off-limits" until you can decide if you want it or not? Sounds like a good scam to me.

I may be way off, but Brian sounds like another one of these "Nanner, Nanner, Nanner" guys. These folks make me want to  :sick:  :barf:

But, but, BUT!!! I also would not want to take advantage of another person's ignorance. I couldn't do that no way, no how. I would feel like a cheat.

I really don't see what everyone is getting all huffed up about it, though. WHO CARES!!!!

hi ms roberts.

I'm sorry you think that way. I have no desire, nor any future desire to own an original six. If I ever want one again, it will be building my own, 'cause I'm a hands on kind of guy. It's no fun for me to buy/own something of which i have no creative input.

I could have bought a modern high performance fiberglass sailboat for a fraction of the cost of what I've spent on my Channe Cutter.. it would be much faster, much, much less maintenance...

Same thing for motorcycles.. once again, I could have bought an original '76 Moto Guzzi 850 Lemans 1 for the same money I spent on my restoration.. no fun there....

you don't know me, and you've developed an opinion of who I am based on I don't know what.

I gave the owner the 914world.com and Pelican.com urls.. its not my business to tell him to "prove" he really has a car, and to "prove" what I've said it true...

nice attitude you have there...

BTW.. I'm not well known on this list.. but ask Brad Roberts himself how honest and what a straight arrow I am.. he'll tell you all about that beautiful '83 3.0 SC engine I sold him with only 60K original miles...

Fair Winds..
Lyressa Roberts
QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Jul 15 2005, 03:05 PM)
QUOTE (Lyressa Roberts @ Jul 15 2005, 02:33 PM)

I may be way off, but Brian sounds like another one of these "Nanner, Nanner, Nanner" guys. These folks make me want to  :sick:  :barf:

hi ms roberts.

I'm sorry you think that way. I have no desire, nor any future desire to own an original six. If I ever want one again, it will be building my own, 'cause I'm a hands on kind of guy. It's no fun for me to buy/own something of which i have no creative input.

You know what...you may not be a bad guy...YOU'RE STILL HERE! biggrin.gif

Most "Nanner, Nanner's" are like groundhogs. Who is the guy who keeps popping up and gets knocked back down? Alfred? Hehehe... happy11.gif
Mr.C
Now this looks like fun! aktion035.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jul 15 2005, 11:59 AM)
the quote below is from the "other" 914/6 thread ...

just something to think about. if a car has been sitting for god knows how long, those are just a few things that will have to be addressed. either by the seller or the buyer.
there will be a considerable amount of $$$ involved just to make such a car a good runner again. and yes, if all that is taken care of and the car has decent paint and interior and the title is clean it might very well fetch $15k ...

QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Jul 14 2005, 11:59 AM)
if they have been out of service a long time, it will require a nontrivial amount of money and work to bring them back to roadworthiness.  probably, if circumstances permitted you to do that, they wouldn't have been out of service and you wouldn't be selling.  be aware that buyers will be factoring that in, tho.

agree.gif after sitting for 25 years, one will have to replace and check a lot of things.

fuel system: drain and clean gastank and plastic lines in the center tunnel. replace ALL rubber fuel lines. replace fuel filter. check fuel pump.

engine: how was the engine prepared for the long storage? if moisture got in and the engine wasn't run evey month or so, you might be looking at a complete engine rebuild.

brakes: at the minimum rebuild brake calipers and flush the fluid. MC could be gunked up.

transmission: how was the tranny prepared for the long storage? see "engine" above ...

tires: they NEED to be replaced ...

and those are just the main mechanicals, how about the cosmetical stuff? seals dried out and cracked? vinyl? mice nests in the heater mufflers? chewed up electrical wires?

and then there's RUST. was the existing battery tray rust prepped before storage? or was it allowed to eat at the cars for the last 25 years?

i'm not trying to downtalk the cars, they might very well be in very good condition, just saying that both the buyer and seller have to be aware of the fact that after sitting for so long, some or all of the above issues will have to be addressed ...

if only i had the $$$, i'd love to have a original /6. maybe i could sell my firstborn. think she would go for that?
idea.gif Andy

I told myself I wouldn't post here, but here goes. agree.gif A stock 2.0 six is over rated and under powered like Z said. agree.gif Any car in long time storage under a tarp will need serious money poured into it. You did no one a favor.

BTW: I'm not in the market for a six, an over priced damaged four, or any color 914 I don't like. However, I am looking..

Camp has some nice affordable cars. Craig update your web site.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Jul 15 2005, 01:45 PM)
If the premise of this action of mine irks you (that I let a "steal" slip away), then we don't have a value system in common, and I wouldn't want to buy/sell anything with you, nor probably hang out...

i'm not sure where this is coming from ...

you didn't even read any of my post, now did you? instead of being so full of shit about yourself, you might want to try to spend some time re-reading some of the post in this thread.

there were indeed a few valid points on both sides of the spectrum. but you seem to like staring in the mirror and daydreaming better than staring at the monitor and reading ...

where is the headshaking smily when you need it?
rolleyes.gif Andy
Lyressa Roberts
QUOTE (Cabasa @ Jul 15 2005, 03:10 PM)
Now this looks like fun! aktion035.gif

I'm in agreement with that!!!
Lyressa Roberts
QUOTE (Lyressa Roberts @ Jul 15 2005, 03:10 PM)
Most "Nanner, Nanner's" are like groundhogs. Who is the guy who keeps popping up and gets knocked back down? Alfred? Hehehe... happy11.gif

Oops...way off. Alfred is a racist, not a "Nanner, Nanner".
Mueller
QUOTE (Lyressa Roberts @ Jul 15 2005, 04:15 PM)
Most "Nanner, Nanner's" are like groundhogs. Who is the guy who keeps popping up and gets knocked back down?  Alfred? Hehehe...  :evilgrin:

Brian is a stand up guy...this is just one of those subjects that can be interpited many ways and spun to fit those that see what they want to see smile.gif

Lyressa Roberts
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jul 15 2005, 03:18 PM)
QUOTE (Lyressa Roberts @ Jul 15 2005, 04:15 PM)
Most "Nanner, Nanner's" are like groundhogs. Who is the guy who keeps popping up and gets knocked back down?  Alfred? Hehehe...  :evilgrin:

Brian is a stand up guy...this is just one of those subjects that can be interpited many ways and spun to fit those that see what they want to see smile.gif

Well, that's what I meant... biggrin.gif The other people we have had problems with have popped in with their crap and then disappear just as fast...Brian is still here, so he can't be too bad... wink.gif
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jul 15 2005, 03:11 PM)
QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Jul 15 2005, 01:45 PM)

i'm not sure where this is coming from ...

you didn't even read any of my post, now did you? instead of being so full of shit about yourself, you might want to try to spend some time re-reading some of the post in this thread.

there were indeed a few valid points on both sides of the spectrum. but you seem to like staring in the mirror and daydreaming better than staring at the monitor and reading ...

where is the headshaking smily when you need it?
rolleyes.gif Andy

hi andy,

I read all the posts.

thanks for the complimentary descriptions..

Mike, thanks for the 2 cents...

I'll let this rest as the spirit of why I posted in the first place has kind of gotten lost....

Cheers to all
rhodyguy
when sixnotfour swooped in on that 911 score it was all "right on, good score" (me too). he got it from a person that had thrown up the white flag when a repair shop was getting ready to give the owner a good screwing. it's the OWNERS responsibility to figure out what a 914 or a tootsie roll is worth. the "grandson" should have had some clue unless he is in living a vaccum. if the car was part of a probate matter and there are multiple inheritors, the personal representative is duty bound to do their job (in washington at least) to secure the maximum. screw the pooch and people aren't ready to sign off on the "satisfaction of heirs', the p.r. is on the hook. the 911 owner could have typed porsche 911 into a search engine and got the skinny. if the grandson had done same he would have got to ebay at a bare minimum, or started a bidding war in the classifieds here.

k
fuch toy
Mifsud. We have dealt with you in the past. Go away. You give idiots a bad name.
rick 918-S
admins....
SLITS
The Texas thread-locker has stepped away biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (fuch toy @ Jul 15 2005, 05:14 PM)
Mifsud. We have dealt with you in the past. Go away.

hey "Z", i had no idea the club collective had elected you their spokesman ... unsure.gif

btw. there is no "we" in "Zois" ...
biggrin.gif Andy

PS: thread locked. move on. nothing to see here ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.