Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> turbo tie rod boots-aftermarket, replacement with OEM boots
dangrouche
post Oct 28 2020, 04:43 PM
Post #1

dangrouche

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,012
Region Association: None

I installed a $70 Sierra Madre aftermarket (non-Lemforder) turbo tie rod kit about 5 years ago and the driver and passenger boots are torn in the same place at the outer end of each boot. Will OEM (part # 930-347-191-02) boots fit on these aftermarket tie rod ends? I believe it would as the rubber disk seems to be the spot where the narrower end of the boot would be fitted. I confirmed that OEM boots will work on aftermarket turbo tie rods.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
UROpartsman
post Oct 28 2020, 05:50 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 19,288

Hi Dangrouche, would you happen to still have your order confirmation from Sierra Madre for the kit? If your kit happens to be ours, we'd be happy to send you a pair of new bellows. We improved the material about two years ago after getting some reports of the old version cracking with age. Feel free to PM us any order info you have.
+Quote Post
rudedude
post Oct 28 2020, 06:43 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,387
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I've had the same issue with after market 930 tie rod kits and boots going bad in short order. I keep sending 914rubber emails if they have replacement boots but get no reply. I think they are the same as oe boots that others have.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 28 2020, 07:32 PM
Post #4

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

We've got them and are working on replacement boot that will be available stand alone.

Stay tuned - I guess there were a lot of failures as there are quite a few folkes asing for these (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
dangrouche
post Oct 28 2020, 11:39 PM
Post #5

dangrouche

QUOTE(UROpartsman @ Oct 28 2020, 04:50 PM) *

Hi Dangrouche, would you happen to still have your order confirmation from Sierra Madre for the kit? If your kit happens to be ours, we'd be happy to send you a pair of new bellows. We improved the material about two years ago after getting some reports of the old version cracking with age. Feel free to PM us any order info you have.

PM sent Thanks
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Oct 29 2020, 01:43 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 28 2020, 06:32 PM) *

We've got them and are working on replacement boot that will be available stand alone.

Stay tuned - I guess there were a lot of failures as there are quite a few folkes asing for these (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

The boots on my car failed while the car was just sitting in my garage.
They were on the car when I bought it and I don't know the brand.

Since I just got the car drivable again I am going to need some new boots.

Jim
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Oct 29 2020, 08:05 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(UROpartsman @ Oct 28 2020, 07:50 PM) *

Now that great customer service (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Stltri
post Oct 29 2020, 08:39 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 18,622

QUOTE(dangrouche @ Oct 28 2020, 03:43 PM) *

I installed a $70 Sierra Madre aftermarket (non-Lemforder) turbo tie rod kit about 5 years ago and the driver and passenger boots are torn in the same place at the outer end of each boot. Will OEM (part # 930-347-191-02) boots fit on these aftermarket tie rod ends? I believe it would as the rubber disk seems to be the spot where the narrower end of the boot would be fitted. I just want to confirm if anyone has a similar experience changing out the boots on aftermarket turbo tie rods.

My Uro tie rod boots did not last more than a few months after installation. I replaced it with the OEM part you mentioned which is well made with much thicker and plyable rubber. However, installation of the OEM boot is more challenging due to the thicker rubber. But it fits just fine. (see attached pic of the Uro boot on top and the OEM on bottom)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
UROpartsman
post Oct 29 2020, 09:34 AM
Post #9

We've actually been providing OEM boots with out kits for the last two years while we redeveloped our URO boots. We should have our own boots available in a few months, but in the meantime we're still providing OEM.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 29 2020, 11:53 AM
Post #10

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Ours will be ready beginning of the year so I'm sure we will have a bunch of folks that will need them
By the way we are sticking the Lemforder turbo kits with boots if anyone needs some quality parts.
Not the cheapest, but you can do it right or do it again.
+Quote Post
NS914
post Oct 29 2020, 12:04 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 10,455
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 28 2020, 10:32 PM) *

My boots are gone as well....sitting in the garage...excited to hear you are moving forward with just the boot.
+Quote Post
dangrouche
post Oct 29 2020, 05:19 PM
Post #12

dangrouche

QUOTE(Stltri @ Oct 29 2020, 07:39 AM) *

QUOTE(dangrouche @ Oct 28 2020, 03:43 PM) *

I installed a $70 Sierra Madre aftermarket (non-Lemforder) turbo tie rod kit about 5 years ago and the driver and passenger boots are torn in the same place at the outer end of each boot. Will OEM (part # 930-347-191-02) boots fit on these aftermarket tie rod ends? I believe it would as the rubber disk seems to be the spot where the narrower end of the boot would be fitted. I just want to confirm if anyone has a similar experience changing out the boots on aftermarket turbo tie rods.

My Uro tie rod boots did not last more than a few months after installation. I replaced it with the OEM part you mentioned which is well made with much thicker and plyable rubber. However, installation of the OEM boot is more challenging due to the thicker rubber. But it fits just fine. (see attached pic of the Uro boot on top and the OEM on bottom)

Attached Image

Thanks, that’s probably what I’ll employ then.
+Quote Post
troth
post Oct 29 2020, 05:31 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 20,305

I installed the kit from Elephant Racing a year or two ago. They looked even worse than that last month.
+Quote Post
rudedude
post Oct 29 2020, 07:52 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 3,387
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I'll be in for a set when they are available
+Quote Post
dangrouche
post Nov 5 2020, 02:55 PM
Post #15

dangrouche

Just a shout out to UROpartsman. I was just told I’d be getting a set of replacement boots shortly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
dangrouche
post Nov 9 2020, 10:20 AM
Post #16

dangrouche

QUOTE(UROpartsman @ Oct 28 2020, 03:50 PM) *

A SHOUT OUT to UROpartsman!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) ; I received set of OEM boots on November 6th, gratis !! Got'em installed, slid them with a lil bit of lube!! If I had to buy a set of boots today, I would buy from URO, based on this extraordinary customer service !! I already have URO bushings on my rear sway bar as well.
+Quote Post
UROpartsman
post Nov 9 2020, 11:48 AM
Post #17

Awesome Dangrouche!

We'll receive the first run of our redesigned boots in about a month, at which time we'll switch from providing OEM boots in our turbo tie rod kits to the new URO boots.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 10:54 AM